PDA

View Full Version : Rappelling on the Matterhorn

lindsay
08-28-2008, 01:14 PM
I have some questions regarding the history of rappelling off the Matterhorn in Disneyland. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

1. When was the first rappel?
Who did the first rappel(s)?
Do they still regularly (or semi-regularly) rappel off the Matterhorn?

2. I vaguely recall the first rappels were done using an early rappelling technique called a Dulfersitz where the body is used to supply the friction for controlling descent. Is this correct? Or has some other braking technique always been used. Are there any old pics, movie or videos of this still available?

3. What is the vertical height of the Matterhorn?

4. Has anybody ever climbed the Matterhorn unofficially? (i.e., Not as part of a Disneyland presentation.) I found one thread here describing how one guy needed to be rescued from the side of the Matterhorn when he tried to climb it on Grad Night. Does anybody know of any others? Any successful ones?

Again, I thank you for any information or redirection you can provide to help me find answers these questions. And no, I am not planning to climb the Matterhorn myself. I'm just curious.

leota's necklace
08-29-2008, 12:13 AM
If you have access to the "Disneyland USA" DVD, there is some brief footage of rappellers on the Matterhorn in the 10th Anniversary segment.

Bytebear
08-29-2008, 08:58 AM
I have seen then do the climbing but not rappelling.

rokketride
08-29-2008, 03:52 PM
They gotta get back down ;)

smd4
08-30-2008, 01:04 PM
The Matterhorn is a 1/100th scale model of the real thing. The DL version stands 147 feet high.

potzbie
08-30-2008, 09:58 PM
The Matterhorn is a 1/100th scale model of the real thing. The DL version stands 147 feet high.

"147 feet"?
Amazing!
That is only 40 feet more than the distance on a baseball diamond of home plate to second base (the distance the catcher throws on an attempted steal.)

147 feet is also equivalent to half a football field (49 yards).
Like the pass from quarterback Mark Sanchez to wide receiver Ronald Johnson for a touchdown. (USC Trojans vs. Virginia Cavaliers, Saturday).

The Matterhorn looks much taller.
Maybe it's the platform shoes?
:)

smd4
08-31-2008, 06:38 AM
The Matterhorn looks much taller.
Ah, the beauty of forced perspective.

stan4d_steph
08-31-2008, 01:31 PM
They gotta get back down ;)Not when there's a hole at the top.