PDA

View Full Version : New Evidence: Fantasmic might indeed be back next year

sydney
11-03-2002, 08:59 PM
Okay, so it's a small bit of evidence, but the new AP newsletter (available here (http://i.disb.go.com/pscdisney/dlr/Media/DisneylandResort/AnnualPassholders/APNewsletter_Fall02.pdf) on the Disneyland website) lists as one of the many wonderful reasons to renew your pass this season that Fantasmic will be back next year.

Anyone know anything more definite?

Laffite
11-03-2002, 09:07 PM
Well gee they better bring it back. Otherwise the Columbia will be just another prop since they don't use it that much in the day. And a lot of things will go wasted ubless they find a use for it.

--Preston

Sailor Butterfly
11-04-2002, 02:17 AM
Don't we hear the "Fantasmic's not coming back" rumors every year?

zapppop
11-04-2002, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by Sailor Butterfly
Don't we hear the "Fantasmic's not coming back" rumors every year?
Exactly. There's always rumors that Fantasmic will be getting the axe and it never does. It reminds me of the Madonna retirement rumors; ever since 1990, there are rumors that her next album will be her last and it never is (in fact she has another one coming this spring).
I don't know where people are coming up with such silly nonsense that Fantasmic won't be back next summer. The river will be drained for 3 months and will be back to normal again at the end of April, and rehearsals for Fantasmic have already been scheduled for the month of May.
I don't give a damn if Fantasmic never comes back but it will, so everyone just relax and enjoy the fireworks and ride the Mark Twain at night until then.

RStar
11-04-2002, 06:34 AM
Riding the Mark Twain at night will be a little bumpy without the water, though.;)

Not Afraid
11-04-2002, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by RStar
Riding the Mark Twain at night will be a little bumpy without the water, though.;)

A new E-Ticket?

zapppop
11-04-2002, 07:22 AM
Late April - Early June; Twain at night, no Fantasmic

sydney
11-04-2002, 11:05 AM
well good. I'm glad you're all more connected that I am! Although I don't usually watch fantasmic more than twice a season (the wait becomes so long if you want a decent view), I would miss it if it were taken out permanantly.

BTW: did anyone notice how after our huge discussion of the best place to sneak late and still have a good view (the whole center light post thing), there were more often than not more people in that spot than around it? Not that I"m claiming we did that, but I guess the secret's officially out. :)

hbquikcomjamesl
11-04-2002, 02:57 PM
Personally, I've never had any trouble getting a decent view from around the Keelboat dock.

Ace
11-04-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by sydney
well good. I'm glad you're all more connected that I am! Although I don't usually watch fantasmic more than twice a season (the wait becomes so long if you want a decent view), I would miss it if it were taken out permanantly.

BTW: did anyone notice how after our huge discussion of the best place to sneak late and still have a good view (the whole center light post thing), there were more often than not more people in that spot than around it? Not that I"m claiming we did that, but I guess the secret's officially out. :)

yeah, we did that... we got OK seats (or stands, I suppose), but they weren't anything special.

TweedlDum9
11-05-2002, 11:25 PM
Look guys, don't panic... Because I doubt any of you were panicking more than those of us who work in the Disneyland Parades Department...

We were guaranteed, time and time again, by higher-ups that Fantasmic will return next summer. In the words of our Manager, "Why would we want to cancel our best entertainment offering?"

And so it happens that the River rehab (which would happen anyway) is occurring in the off-season, when Fantasmic would only be running two nights a week anyway... It's not like it's shut down in the middle of Summer...

All they're doing is, to save money of course, returning Fantasmic to its original "Summer-Only" status that it was supposed to be back in 1992. Of course, because it was so insanely popular, they kept it around. And, mind you, the show (well, actually it's considered a "Parade," who knows why) was only supposed to be around for 5 years max, no one had imagined it lasting for 10+.

If anything, it'll be good to give Fantasmic some time off, especially with the River Rehab. In addition to the routine river cleanup, they'll be installing new water screen technology, and also repairing/replacing a lot of the ten-year-old hydraulics used for the gas lines, pyro barges, water screens, etc. Well, at least that's the plan as of now...

Bruce Bergman
11-06-2002, 08:50 AM
Rebuild the Ursula boat. Please? :(

--<< Bruce >>--

tabacco
11-06-2002, 09:15 AM
Anyway, there's one surefire way to confirm that Fantasmic will stay around. Just keep an eye on the bumblebee shirts in costuming. As long as costuming keeps them around, the show probably isn't gone :)

Ghoulish Delight
11-06-2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Bruce Bergman
Rebuild the Ursula boat. Please? :(

--<< Bruce >>-- Aha! I KNEW I wasn't crazy. I was never a regular enough Fantasmic! viewer to remember it perfectly, and I could have sworn there was a giant Ursula. I was always to suspect of my own memory to ask anyone though ;)

zapppop
11-06-2002, 09:56 AM
They'll bring back Ursala if enough guests complain about her absence but so far, it appears not enough people care to speak up. :(

TweedlDum9
11-06-2002, 10:15 AM
According to friends who worked on Fantasmic when Ursula was around, they kept having a lot of problems with it, whether it be the barge itself (like the Crocodile, it's like a little catamaran) or Ursula's moving arms and whatnot.

They told me that the Show Director, therefore, ultimately just decided to give it the axe after a while... Which leads me to believe that she's not coming back...

Which is too bad, because that was one of my favorite things too... And now that water screen sequence seems so long with nothing out in front of it...

There is a rumor that Ursula's head is still inside the Mill itself, along with all kinds of other crap that they have retrieved from the Island or the River, like boomboxes(?), shoes, and other crap... But I have no idea how valid that is, but it came from people who did Fantasmic for a long time.

But, if you're longing to see Ursula again, the awesome webmaster of www.disneylandsource.com has a video of the complete DL Fantasmic, back when Ursula was still around!!! It's so cool to see!