PDA

View Full Version : Small World Fastpass going in

unoriginal
11-03-2002, 07:06 PM
Was at DL this weekend and noticed that during the holiday makeover at Small World, they were installing Fast Pass signs. You can just see the tops of them over the rehab walls.

Morrigoon
11-03-2002, 07:14 PM
I wish they'd leave those up year round instead of bringing them in and out each Christmas.

Not that I approve of Fastpass, but it's obviously here to stay, so they should keep the machines up

sydney
11-03-2002, 09:05 PM
Of course they should be up all year. maybe they could AT LEAST use the machines in the winter at IASW(H) and the rest of the year they could be used for the matterhorn, which desperately needs them, sticking out as the one E-ticket left without fastpass at DL. (Also a point in my favor, the annual matterhorn rehab seems to fall in the winter, so the machines wouldn't be missed for as long a time).

What's the use of having fastpass machines sitting around 10 months and not using them?

Morrigoon
11-03-2002, 10:36 PM
Yeah, how silly not to leave them up!

Sophie832
11-04-2002, 01:47 AM
Wait...they have fastpass machines at Small World, but they only use them during the Xmas makeover? Why??? Small World is 3rd on my list of Most in Need of Fastpass!

#1 Matterhorn
#2 Peter Pan (but where to put it?)
#3 Small World

Geez, just leave them in year-round!

sydney
11-04-2002, 02:18 AM
not exactly. the fastpass machines at small world are only installed for the Holiday makeover, and then removed the first week of january each year. so it's not like they're sitting there unused. but obviously the network hookups/etc are over there or are at least accessable as they do get used for the scant two month yearly run of Small World Holiday.

My thought, once again, is even though it's far from the Matterhorn, they shouldn't be wasted for the other 10 months of the year. either leave them up for use for Small World, or find some way they can serve the Matterhorn. Their current location would be a stretch for that. I don't care if they need extension cords to do the job. I just don't understand why they have the machines sitting around unused most of the year. ESPECIALLY with the new layout of the small world station which seems perfectly setup for fastpass.

OOOH! did anyone else think of this? Could the new station layout be meant for a year round fastpass install?

zapppop
11-04-2002, 05:46 AM
I think keeping fastpass for Small World year round is a good idea. The wait time for IASW is equal to Pirates or Mansion ( and certainly longer than Star Tours ) and those attractions have fastpass so why not IASW ? It IS silly to install the machines for only 2 months and let them sit in mothballs for 10.

Ghoulish Delight
11-04-2002, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by zapppop
I think keeping fastpass for Small World year round is a good idea. The wait time for IASW is equal to Pirates or Mansion ( and certainly longer than Star Tours ) and those attractions have fastpass so why not IASW ? It IS silly to install the machines for only 2 months and let them sit in mothballs for 10. Yeah, they definitely need to remove them from Star Tours.

I'm wracking my brain trying to think of a valid reason that they don't leave them in. The best one I can think of is SAPs. Small World seems to be the attraction that gets the MOST SAPs (that's purely from my observations when standing in line, so I could be completely wrong). And, because of nifty wheelchair accessible boat, they can take quite a while to load. So much so that the queue that loads at the "first" dock (the one futhest from the show building) absolutely CRAWLS on busy days. Now, during IASWH, the overall line is so absurdly long that FP is a guaranteed help. But on normal crowded days, it could be that FP would just compound the slowness caused by SAP loading.

Again, this is just casual observation. I'm not decrying the SAP access to the ride, I think it's great. But it really does slow that line down. I never stand in that line, I always take the outside queue, across the bridge.

unoriginal
11-04-2002, 07:51 AM
Why don't they just take the machines out from Star Tours and use those over by the Matterhorn? Does the line ever get so bad at Star Tours that people actually need a Fast Pass or did they just have too much money to spend at that point?

sydney
11-04-2002, 10:59 AM
well, I've seen the line at Star Tours get pretty long indeed. When we don't feel like waiting until closing to go on star tours (when there is NEVER a line), we often get fastpasses for it on busy days. Basically any time they have to open up that extra inside wait area before you go into the main building.

Call me a spoiled AP, I guess, but 45 minutes is now just too long to wait. <grins sheepishly>... :o

LibraryGirl
11-04-2002, 12:31 PM
I think Dumbo needs a FastPass. My hubby and daughter were in line for about an hour. My brother and I had time to go on Mr. Toad and came out with hubby and Boo still in line.

Morrigoon
11-04-2002, 03:04 PM
That would be a great ride for fastpass, the queue is too long for the length of ride.

Ghoulish Delight
11-04-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
That would be a great ride for fastpass, the queue is too long for the length of ride. I don't know how well FP would work for such a low capacity ride. I think it would just make things worse. And I'm a fan of FP. I mean, the ride capacity is ~24 people (16 elephants, some will have double riders, some won't). The ride time is about 3 minutes. Pluse loading, it's about a 5 minutes cycle. That's 12 cycles an hour. Let's say they fill half the ride with FP. That would mean they could only give out 144 FPs an hour. Seems a far too low, they'd be gone in a milisecond.

Ace
11-04-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Sophie832
Wait...they have fastpass machines at Small World, but they only use them during the Xmas makeover? Why??? Small World is 3rd on my list of Most in Need of Fastpass!

#1 Matterhorn
#2 Peter Pan (but where to put it?)
#3 Small World

Geez, just leave them in year-round!

Matterhorn needs it, I agree... and Small World doesn't really need it, but I don't think they should take them down from the holiday thing. If they have them, then they should use them. Peter Pan, though, is incredibly popular (dunno why) and pretty low-cap so fastpass wouldn't really work.