PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Shuttle Drivers? Tipping Policy?

CanuckfromBC
11-03-2002, 11:57 AM
We were curious as to the tipping policy for hotel shuttle drivers. Do you tip them each trip? Do people wait until the end of their stay? Is the tip expected at all? We heard that in the States tipping was a big thing and we would not want to offend anyone. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks!

HBTiggerFan
11-03-2002, 12:21 PM
I know with airport shuttles theres a standard tipping formula. Not sure about shuttle drivers to and from park.

In restruants you double the tax, which equals approximality the standard tipping of 15%.

as a side note, there was something on the news that reported so.cal one of the worst tippers in the nation. NYC, WA and OR tip at 18% on average.

MouseWife
11-03-2002, 12:26 PM
We have used the shuttle services now and again.

Two types, a bus or a van shuttle.

On the van shuttle, we would definitely rate it depending on their service. Did they help with the stroller? Were they polite? Did they hold the door open and help us and then drop us off in a good place? Then, when they picked us up, were they prompt? Same other questions.

We would not tip too much. {maybe 3 going 3 coming back?} We split up the money for the to and from trip. I think our rule was, for our budget, not to pay more than we would have paid if we had driven and paid for parking.

Then for the bus, well, we would have the little guy drop in a dollar. Each way. If you don't have a 'little guy' then I would do what you want. The driver we had was nice, had candy for the riders.

I don't hand out tips left and right. If it is a service that is part of the package, no. If it is something I can do for myself but they don't let me, no.

Like if they don't have enough towels, no. No coffee? No.
If I come to my room and it isn't right and they have to do something to fix it, no.

If I have great service in a restaurant, I tip better than if I don't.

I think that you will be able to judge for yourself. You can tell by attitude and quality of what you get day to day as far as service.
Your idea of tiping at the end is a great one, although the person who has given you the best service might not be there the day you leave.

So, having an idea of how much you will allow for tips and then dispensing them bit by bit might work, too.

And above all, gosh darn it,

Have fun!!

stinkerbell
11-03-2002, 01:30 PM
We used Super Shuttle this last trip and the total due was $28. I gave him a $4 tip, which I felt was a little generous, based on past Super Shuttle drivers who were friendly, helpful, asked questions, made suggestions. He was silent. No smiles, nothing. I just gave him four ones and then wondered why I bothered.

I tend to overtip at about 20%. But this is dumb: I give my favorite espresso making divas $1 for each $2.75 drink I buy! Figure that one out! It's well worth it sometimes to get treated a little better than Joe-Blow, (for example, they gave me flowers for Mother's Day--one rose from each of my girls!) for those places you tend to frequent. But on vacation, I'm not about to start throwing tip money around if it doesn't feel well-deserved.

Don't worry about the tipping thing, just have a great time!!!! :)

But this is exactly why I'm pretty nervous about looking into cruises.....everyone we know has spent $100's on tips for a week....... :rolleyes: ....on top of what it already costs to go on a cruise. I don't exactly understand this one!