PDA

View Full Version : Are we preventing Disney parks from improving?

AliKzam
11-02-2002, 04:44 PM
I don't want to cause any paranoia, and I'm sure I won't or else I wouldn't bring this topic up. I brought this up before, last year.
Many of the threads on this forum, and no doubt others, turn into a thread for sharing personal imagineering ideas. A lot of us have really great and innovative ideas, at that. But once I emailed an idea to Kevin Yee, and he wrote back saying Disney never uses ideas outside the company for fear of lawsuits. Far be it from Disney to be afraid of lawsuits, I realized he may have a point.
And I thought about how Disney deals with suggestions for anything from the outside world. When I was a kid, I suggested some attractions be built from some movies from the 60s. I was told that attractions were no longer being built from their old films. Obviously she was wrong, but how was she to know that the Pooh ride would be put in all their theme parks several years later?
And when I was being trained for the El Capitan last summer, there was a section in our manuals on how to deal with guests' suggestions. It was something along the lines of having them write it down on a piece of paper, where the castmember will place it in an envelope using latex gloves. The envelope will then be passed from lead to manager, from manager to executive, from executive to Eisner. Once it reaches Eisner, he will then place the idea in a metal waste basket, and promptly set it on fire.
So we place our ideas here and on other forums, somehow hoping that Disney reads these and thinks they're wonderful, and not placing on some top-secret "never build" list. But if we don't say anything, it may never even be considered by others. So what would we do if one of our ideas was actually created. Would we jump for joy and be excited as all heck? Or would we find the thread we wrote it down on, print it out, and find a lawyer so we could dip a hand in the profits?
A lot of people who write on this thread have a great love for Disney, despite the fact that it's had some major falls, lately. Most of us want to see it return to it's state of glory, so it can remain a serious fixture in American culture.
How does one become an imagineer for Disney parks? How does one join a focus group to help shape parks? Are we automatically excluded because we're such geeks?
What do we do?

Morrigoon
11-02-2002, 04:56 PM
Disney's policies of purposely ignoring suggestions is their only protection, so that they can create attractions without worrying whether some random person thought of it first.

But hey, if you figure out how to get into imagineering, let me know, k? :D

Germboy
11-02-2002, 05:35 PM
I think if Disney took a suggestion from its guests, it wouldn't be Disney. That's why the surveys they take at the park speak louder than words. They never used to HAVE to ask.

driftwood714
11-02-2002, 09:51 PM
Yeah, but he's talking about ride IDEAS. This is essentially attraction content. If you suggest a ride with a certain ride system following a certain storyline in a certain area of the Park... Other suggestions like "Fix the music on Space." or "Make both parks accessible on a one day ticket." are fine.

Klutch
11-03-2002, 03:59 PM
I remember reading that Disney got spanked with a lawsuit over the Florida Sports Complex. A couple of guys claimed they pitched the idea to Disney a year or so before it was built.

While I've seen some very creative and thoughtful ideas in this forum, it seems to me that making an attraction suggestion to a cast member is like walking up to a theater usher and pitching a movie idea. The guest is so far removed, what's the point?

Hydroman
11-04-2002, 07:22 AM
If I was in charge of Imagineering, I would have some resources devoted to creating and developing new ride ideas. I would guess WDI has this now. That could include researching Internet chat rooms and discussion boards such as this one. If an idea on this board were deemed to be good enough to base a ride on, how difficult would it be to track down the creator and offer some measure of compensation?

I for one would settle for something totally manageable and inexpensive, such as a lifetime pass to all Disney parks for myself and my family, and the right to brag on this forum that the such-and-such ride was my idea!

So, if we are in fact preventing WDI from improving the Park, it is only because the Corporation is being so cheap so as not to compensate creative talent properly.