PDA

View Full Version : Question about the fireworks

Foodie
08-26-2008, 05:01 PM
I don't know if this is the proper category for this question, if it's not, feel free to move it to the proper category.

I am trying to identify all the movies referenced in the "Remember...Dreams Come True" fireworks show. I believe I have all of them except for some of the Tomorrow Land segment. Some of those are rides from before I went to D-Land. There is a part of the dialog from one of the rides talking about "Bring it up to 8 fathoms" or something along those lines. Would somebody be able to confirm for me if that is from the original Submarine Voyage ride? I know that is based on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but I want to make sure that's the correct ride.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
-Foodie :)

MickeyM00C0w
08-26-2008, 05:39 PM
The only ones I can remember from the Tomorrow Land segment is Space Mountain, Submarines, and Star Tours (in that order I think, but Matterhorn gets a nod in the very beginning). I think that's all that's included in the last part of the show actually. There may be something in between the Submarine Voyage and Star Tours part that I'm unable to recognize though.

Foodie
08-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks! I was able to add it to my list!

dznyphreak
08-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Between the Subs and Star Tours is Adventures Through Inner Space. Waaaaaay before my time, but the "MAGNIFICATION! Can I possibly survive?" with the little atoms on the Castle/Matterhorn is a dead giveaway.

Bytebear
08-26-2008, 09:22 PM
I don't know if this is the proper category for this question, if it's not, feel free to move it to the proper category.

I am trying to identify all the movies referenced in the "Remember...Dreams Come True" fireworks show. I believe I have all of them except for some of the Tomorrow Land segment. Some of those are rides from before I went to D-Land. There is a part of the dialog from one of the rides talking about "Bring it up to 8 fathoms" or something along those lines. Would somebody be able to confirm for me if that is from the original Submarine Voyage ride? I know that is based on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but I want to make sure that's the correct ride.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

The fathom quote is from the Submarine Voyage attraction.

tod
08-26-2008, 11:31 PM
There is a part of the dialog from one of the rides talking about "Bring it up to 8 fathoms" or something along those lines. Would somebody be able to confirm for me if that is from the original Submarine Voyage ride? I know that is based on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but I want to make sure that's the correct ride.

The Submarine Voyage took place on modern "nuclear-powered" submarines, and were not based on "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea."

--t

Foodie
08-27-2008, 06:01 AM
The Submarine Voyage took place on modern "nuclear-powered" submarines, and were not based on "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea."

As dubious a source as Wikipedia is, it states it to be based on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I'm gonna go ahead and keep it on my movie list and use that as a source to cite in case anybody argues it.

-Foodie

danyoung
08-27-2008, 06:32 AM
The subs in DL were NOT based on 20,000 Leagues. They were grey and were based on military submarines of the 50's, and later updated to the yellow explorer subs. It was the WDW subs that were based on 20,000 Leagues right from the beginning.

One source of this confusion is that DL did have a 20,000 Leagues walk through exhibit when it opened in '55. This included Captain Nemo's office including the big organ that's now in the Haunted Mansion, and the big mechanized squid from the movie.

I just edited the Wikipedia pages that I could find to fix this. Boy, do I feel powerful!

Drince88
08-27-2008, 06:54 AM
I thought the fireworks show was based on ATTRACTIONS at Disneyland, NOT on Movies? Did I really miss something that basic?

stan4d_steph
08-27-2008, 06:57 AM
I thought the fireworks show was based on ATTRACTIONS at Disneyland, NOT on Movies? Did I really miss something that basic?No, that was my understanding too. All of the sound clips are from rides.

Malcon10t
08-27-2008, 08:10 AM
I thought the fireworks show was based on ATTRACTIONS at Disneyland, NOT on Movies? Did I really miss something that basic?
Right, and it is kind of a circle of the park. But since a lot of the rides now have movies, I could see how someone could make that mistake. Trying to figure out the "Tiki Room Movie" though...

ralfrick
08-27-2008, 08:53 AM
As dubious a source as Wikipedia is, it states it to be based on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I'm gonna go ahead and keep it on my movie list and use that as a source to cite in case anybody argues it.
-Foodie

No connection to the ride and movie. Even the 20K ride in WDW was based on the DL ride, and not the movie.

A bientot.

Foodie
08-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Drat, well then I'm back to figuring out another movie...I know the fireworks are based on the rides, but I'm working on a list at Listal.com called "Disneyland, the Movie!". On it I'm listing all the movies that are referenced within Disneyland. So, being able to add 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea brought it up to a grand total of 50. If the organ in POTC is actually based on that movie, I'll just switch it to that and keep the movie up. Am I allowed to post links to outside sites here? If so, I'll post the link so people can check it out. It's pretty fun.

-Foodie

tod
08-27-2008, 07:06 PM

I was there, bub, in 1959, when they still had that new-sub smell.

But if you want to believe Wikipedia, goaheadon. "20,000 Leagues" had a submarine, the Submarine Voyage has submarines, Wikipedia says so, all the same.

--t

jonesin4Dland
08-27-2008, 09:01 PM
If the organ in POTC is actually based on that movie, I'll just switch it to that and keep the movie up.

-Foodie

The organ in the dining room of The Haunted Mansion is the same one Capt. Nemo plays on the Nautilus in 20,000 Leagues. Definite connection, but is it referenced? Does it count?:(

Foodie
08-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Definite connection, but is it referenced? Does it count?
It's a good enough connection for me!

-Foodie:)

danyoung
08-28-2008, 06:01 PM
No connection to the ride and movie. Even the 20K ride in WDW was based on the DL ride, and not the movie.

A bientot.

I don't think I buy this. The WDW subs themselves were most definitely designed to look like the Nautilus. And the narration on the ride is from Captain Nemo. I think it's safe to say that the WDW subs WERE more based on the 20K movie than they were on the DL subs.

TTFN92
08-29-2008, 07:06 AM
I don't think I buy this. The WDW subs themselves were most definitely designed to look like the Nautilus. And the narration on the ride is from Captain Nemo. I think it's safe to say that the WDW subs WERE more based on the 20K movie than they were on the DL subs.

I completely agree. I looked around and found this link: http://www.orlando-florida.net/walt-disney-world/resources/defunct-disney-world-attractions.htm
Besides, why would they be called 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea if they weren't based on that?

MickeyM00C0w
08-29-2008, 10:29 AM
I completely agree. I looked around and found this link: http://www.orlando-florida.net/walt-disney-world/resources/defunct-disney-world-attractions.htm
Besides, why would they be called 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea if they weren't based on that?

The only thing that relates it to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is the fact that the subs are modeled after the Nautilus and that the narrator does a voice imitation of Captain Nemo. Other than that, it is based off of and almost identical to the subs at Disneyland.