PDA

View Full Version : Apparently... [Disneyland vs. WDW]

Jeffreaky
08-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Apparently Disneyland is more popular than Disneyworld, at least on this message board.

Disneyland Resort News and Current Events Threads 23,713 Posts 348,000

Walt Disney World Resort News and Current Events Threads 8,662 Posts 90,078

Jim Dear and Darling
08-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Yeah. Disneyland rules. ;)

(Also, I think there's a lot more people from the Western United States on this board... or at least that has been my general (and possibly incorrect) observation.)

yohomama212
08-22-2008, 03:03 PM
We're just freakier and have less of a life!

Elizabeth

Jeffreaky
08-22-2008, 03:03 PM
I agree with you, Disneyland is much better for me.

Jeffreaky
08-22-2008, 03:15 PM
I know for sure I for one am freakier!

I went to Disney World and didn't like it too much. I went on off season, imagine how much more I wouldn't have liked it if it was packed with people?

MrsGrumpy
08-22-2008, 03:28 PM
I went to Disney World and didn't like it too much.
:eek::confused:

We love Disneyland!
But...
We love Walt Disney World more.
WDW has so much more to do, and you are around constant theming. We feel fully immersed in Disney while we are there. There are 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, DQ, mini-golf courses and more.

With the money we are spending on our WDW trip, we could probably have 5 really nice weekends in DL/DCA...but we are opting for WDW. There is just so much more, IMHO.

As far as the posts, I think JD & D is right. There are more west coasters and Disneyland AP holders that post here on MP.

pixar
08-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Disneyland's also closer to more people than Disneyworld.

Jeffreaky
08-22-2008, 03:33 PM
You are very righ and maybe that's what I didn't like about it that there was too much to do at WDW. I'll have to go back with an open mind and reassess the situation. But I do feel like I will always like Disneyland better.

curtsinore
08-22-2008, 04:09 PM
I think it is more of a bonding to Disneyland by western US culture as opposed to eastern seaboard culture viewing WDW as a nice place to visit but wouldn’t want to live at WDW. Folks on the east coast have more access to secondary vacation homes where they could spend a month or so to develop a fondness and depth for the stay at the vacation home. Here in the west folks are very limited by geographical boundaries to inexpensively build and own a secondary home. So Disneyland becomes that substitute, a friendly, inviting place to visit to create memories and have fun. And by reading on Mouseplanet, we check up on the health of that “comfy” place, discover new places to visit, tricks to maximize visits and hope to share with others who have a same interest.

TTFN92
08-22-2008, 09:39 PM
We went to WDW last year for the first time. We thoroughly enjoyed it :). But it wasn't Disneyland :|. It was just missing something. I would indeed love to go back, especially with just DH and me, but it wouldn't be to get my Disney fix. I had thought that it would tide me over when we went but it just made me want to go to DL more. I don't want to go there because it is better, I want to go back because it is different. Won't happen in any of the forseen future because it is just so expensive to go.

backsthepack
08-23-2008, 05:25 AM
I probably shouldn't even respond since we haven't been to WDW, but oh well, I will anyway.
For me it is the fact that Disneyland is the original. I have no desire at all to visit WDW or any of the other international parks. Disneyland is the park I grew up with and the only place I enjoy myself. I have seen WDW on different travel shows and it just doesn't do anything for me. It looks like too much to be honest.
Also, it is obviously close enough for us to head over whenever we want. Just a short 5 hour drive. Perfect for a weekend trip or a week long trip. I think (as I believe another poster said) more states are within driving distance to California rather than Florida. More people to just drive right on over to the park and enjoy themselves.

samkj
08-23-2008, 05:41 AM
Apparently Disneyland is more popular than Disneyworld, at least on this message board.

True, but DL doesn't even come close by any stretch of the imagination, in number of posts on most other Disney message boards.

Since I haven't been to WDW I will decline comment on the rest.

Foodie
08-23-2008, 07:32 AM
I can't speak for WDW, as I've never been there, but to me, D-Land isn't just a fun place to visit, it's a lifestyle. That's why we like to come here and talk to other people who "get" us. Those who don't "get" it, might think we're crazy, but I think it's a way of life...

-Foodie :)

AVP
08-23-2008, 08:17 PM
MousePlanet evolved from a Disneyland-based Web site, and our readership tends to skew towards Disneyland-area locals and frequent visitors. For a very long time the majority of our content was almost exclusively Disneyland-based, and that's the readership we attracted.

Other Web sites are much more WDW-focused, and their discussion board traffic is the inverse of ours - all WDW, all the time, and DLR is an afterthought.

Diffren't strokes for diffren't folks. ;)

AVP

IllusionOfLife
08-24-2008, 07:44 AM
I'd also add that Disney World draws in a lot of first-timers where Disneyland is the classic that people return to again and again. So the nerds like us will be more likely to go back to Disneyland even up to several times per year (it also helps that it's less expensive ;))

–SolarSurfer

potzbie
08-24-2008, 08:41 AM
I think one big factor is money.
Q. If you want a DISNEY experience, then would you rather budget for $1000 per day, or $500 per day?
Q. If you are on a budget, then which destination is cheaper in the long run?

turkeymama
08-24-2008, 09:05 AM
I love WDW and have never been to Disneyland. The reason? It costs so much more for me to get to California. However, I wouldn't need to stay as long to see everything at Disneyland, and it is cheaper. Also, I wouldn't feel like I had to stay on property at Disneyland to get the full experience. At WDW, I would never consider staying off property.

I have become quite the Disney nerd, so for me, Disneyland is a must do one of these days. I want to see the original, even though much has changed.

DrinkupMeAttage
08-27-2008, 08:13 AM
We love Disneyland!
But...
We love Walt Disney World more.
WDW has so much more to do, and you are around constant theming. We feel fully immersed in Disney while we are there. There are 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, DQ, mini-golf courses and more.

With the money we are spending on our WDW trip, we could probably have 5 really nice weekends in DL/DCA...but we are opting for WDW. There is just so much more, IMHO.

As far as the posts, I think JD & D is right. There are more west coasters and Disneyland AP holders that post here on MP.[/QUOTE]

WDW is also more commercial. It's not as heartfelt or.. well.. it's not home! Walt never got to really get in on the finalization of the plans for WDW, and it didn't exactly turn out the way he had planned it to. He never walked those streets, WDW was not as revolutional as DL and didn't take blood, sweat, tears, and many pockets of other generous companies to create. You have to BUS, or BOAT EVERYWHERE!! How annoying is that? Also the fact that the monorail has like five stops so you can't really enjoy the ride and it takes more time out of your day! Epcot in my opinion is a complete and total waste of time and should not really be connected to Disney, I', just not into it I guess. Animal Kingdom is pretty cool but I mean how many hours can you spend there? Not to mention the fact that every time I have visted the (fringe-benfitless) employees have not been what they can be compared to at DL. I've seen both parks and somewhat enjoy WDW but really only because it reminds me of DL, where the true magic is (IMO). Disneyland just feels like a giant HUG, it's not small it's cozy! The weather is better, it's more personal in my opinion, the service is better and I cannot stand those tacky sub par All Star resorts down in Florida! I LOVE the DLH and dont want it to change that much really, Just the way that DL changes its smaller parts but stays the same as a whole, the structure of it all stays the same, I think the Hotel deserves the same respect.

ralfrick
08-27-2008, 08:51 AM
Uhm, I think the reason there are more DL posts is that this site started when several other sites combined, and all of those were about DL except for Brian Bennent's WDW site. This site is also based in SoCal unless I'm mistaken. WDW was barely mentioned here in the first few years. There are other sites whose boards have much heavier WDW posts than those for DL. Thinking DL is more popular based on the number of posts here is kind of like saying The NY Jets are more popular than the NY Giants because there are more posts about the Jets on the Jets' website. (Guess I'm basically repeating AVP's post).

Jeffreaky
08-27-2008, 08:02 PM
Ah yes, it's all clear now, thanks everyone. Totally makes sense, and I'm a rookie, I haven't been on the other boards.

socalkdg
08-29-2008, 10:18 AM

There is a WDW based website with over a million threads and over 10 million posts about WDW. Their DL section is much smaller.

As I always say, if you have 2-3 days, go to DLR, if you have a week, go to WDW.