PDA

View Full Version : Where will ROA go?

Pages : [1] 2

Hydroman
10-31-2002, 12:10 PM
OK, so they're going to be draining the ROA in a couple of months. My question is, what are they going to do with the water? Is there a cork at the bottom that they can pull out to drain the lake? That water is nasty, so they had better be careful ....

Ghoulish Delight
10-31-2002, 02:08 PM
Actually, they have huge resevoirs back stage that continually circulate and filter the water (and add that looovely green dye). Most of the water will end up back there, and then probably eventually get drained. And, despite the color, I don't suspect the water is nearly as deadly as it's rumored (or looks). They do circulate and filter it. And the ducks thrive quite nicely in it.

refurbmike
10-31-2002, 02:48 PM
"And the ducks thrive quite nicely in it."

Not to mention the leeches...

tabacco
10-31-2002, 03:04 PM
Er... I'm 99% certain ROA is not filtered. or circulated, and I know there's no huge reservoir back there. I've walked around a lot of the backstage area behind ROA, and it's got a lot of stuff, but nowhere near large enough to hold the total volume of the river.

Besides, it's easy to get rid of. didn't you ever wonder where Mountain Dew comes from? ;)

jrad32
10-31-2002, 03:12 PM
I bet they'll find all kinds of stuff in the bottom of that thing. Probably a bunch of souvenirs that kids dropped in there.

Ghoulish Delight
10-31-2002, 03:14 PM
Hmm, I had always heard it was. But then again, I had always heard that all the waterways (Splash, the lagoon, ROA, jungle cruise) were connected and we know THAT'S not true.

tikiboy
10-31-2002, 07:19 PM
There was also talk a few years ago, that in the event of a disaster, you could drink that water!!

But then again, there was that Disneyland map back in the early 90's that said they change all the light bulbs when they've reached 80% of their life expectancy. HA!

dcaprincess
10-31-2002, 07:37 PM
WHAT ARE THEY DOING WITH ROA? THIS IS THE FIRST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD. I would like to know please give me any info if you have any.

Dexter
10-31-2002, 07:42 PM
The ROA is being drained for an extensive rehab in early 2003, that's about all I know!:D

Darkbeer
10-31-2002, 09:46 PM
The Rivers of America go on Rehab starting January 21st, 2003 until at least April 11th, 2003. But, of course, if they find additional work after draining the river, the re-opening could be delayed.

The work is for many reasons, first off, there is a LOT of junk that has built up on the bottom of the river since the last draining over 10 years ago, and needs to be removed.

Also work on the banks of the river need to be worked on, plus repair and replacement of many items located on the bottom of the river, including the guiderail for the Mark Twain and the Columbia, and the gas lines to the burning cabin. Also many of the effects for Fantasmic! that are located under water need attention. Also, there is rumor that they will remove the Fort from Tom Sawyer's Island during the rehab.

Hydroman
11-01-2002, 04:36 AM
What got me thinking about this is what I do for a living. I am a civil engineer that works for a state agency as a "water quality professional". I know that if we were not careful, we would get in huge trouble for not properly disposing of anything approximating the ROA. :eek: I have an associate at the Santa Ana Regional Water Quality Control Board that is looking into this for me.

I suppose the "safest" way to dispose of it would be to dump it into the City of Anaheim's sewer system, so that the water would be treated before its release. However, the sewer system may not be able to handle all that much water at one time, and draining the ROA could take a long time.

I suppose Disney could task RBF Consulting Engineers to come up with a solution. They have done a lot of work for us in the area of water quality, so I know they have the expertise. And I understand they designed the water screens for Fantasmic! and the M&F parking structure, so they have a relationship with Disney.

Maybe they should auction it off one gallon at a time on E-Bay .... ;)

justagrrl
11-01-2002, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Hydroman

Maybe they should auction it off one gallon at a time on E-Bay .... ;)

LOL...no...it'll be in tiny little vials that you can buy for $10 a piece at all the stores on main street. Get your souvenirs folks! :)

smd4
11-01-2002, 08:07 AM
An old issue of The E Ticket (can't remember the volume No. right now) has an extensive article on Disneyland's waterways. The Green water you see is part of the "Dark Water" system, which is separate and apart from the "Clear Water" system for such attractions as the sub lagoon, IASW, ets. These clear water systems are all self-contained.

If one wished to see the entire dark water system, you would start where the old motor boat cruise was. The water travels (underground) to the Castle moat, where it passes under the draw bridge, meanders in front of the Frontierland stockade, cascades into Adventureland, and enters the Jungle river. From there, it travels (again underground, but at one time above ground, under a pedestrian bridge on the border of Adventurland and NOS) into the ROA. A pumping station near the Indian Storyteller village sucks the water through a pipe and diverts it back to the Motor Boat cruise, where the cycle begins again. No backstage reservoirs, and easily drainable into the sewer system by merely turning a valve at the backstage pumping station.

Bill Catherall
11-01-2002, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Hydroman
I suppose Disney could task RBF Consulting Engineers to come up with a solution. They have done a lot of work for us in the area of water quality, so I know they have the expertise.
It's also been done before. This won't be the first time. So I'm sure they already know what to do.

Besides, if ducks and other wildlife seem to be doing fine with it, how could it possibly be worse than all the other "stuff" the guests flush into the sewer system all day long? And if it drains at night (when nobody is flushing toilets or washing hands/dishes) then I doubt the load will be any greater than the daytime load.

tabacco
11-01-2002, 10:17 AM
Besides, it's gonna be down for how many months? Even if they do slowly empty it into the sewers, they've got time. The river isn't *that* deep. I'm kinda wondering how they fill it up. I had this funny picture of a solitary hose sticking over thr river edge, and a guy sitting next to it with 600 cases of those little squeeze bottles of green food coloring :)

Kevin Yee
11-01-2002, 11:00 AM
Tabacco, where is your Friends sig file from? Sounds funny.

The ROA is surprisingly really really shallow. We may do a photo tour of it soon on the site as a warmup for the draining, since I have a lot of photos of its last draining (for F! creation).

The ROA is treated with a solid dye, that part is true, but it's an environmentally friendly dye (I could go the pun route and call it a "green" dye, but I'll spare you the groans). They can and do just drain the ROA into the sewer system.

I love the connected nature of the darkwater system. I don't even really know why - it just appeals to me.

Laffite
11-01-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Kevin Yee
Tabacco, where is your Friends sig file from? Sounds funny.

Futurama?

--Preston

tabacco
11-01-2002, 11:45 AM
Yep! Futurama's right!

Specifically, it's from episode 404, "Love & Rocket" (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-249/epid-114638/)

hbquikcomjamesl
11-01-2002, 12:27 PM
an environmentally friendly dyeYes. At least one Walt's footsteps tour guide referred to it in so many words as "green food coloring." And the dye doesn't just make the water look deeper than it really is, and hid the piping, wiring, and mechanisms below; it also supposedly protects those mechanisms from constant UV exposure that would otherwise degrade the plastics in them.

Sheila
11-01-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Hmm, I had always heard it was. But then again, I had always heard that all the waterways (Splash, the lagoon, ROA, jungle cruise) were connected and we know THAT'S not true.

As smd4 pointed out, yes there is a dark water and a clear water system at DL.

The dark water system starts at the north end of DL: From the old Motor Boat system, to the Castle moat ponds then to the ponds you see at the entrances of Frontierland and Adventureland. The water then works its way to the Jungle Cruise then to the Rivers of America.

The water is then pumped back up to start the circle again.

Basically, you don't want to be falling in the water in any of those rivers or ponds.... Eeyew. :eek:

Sheila

danyoung
11-01-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
....and the gas lines to the burning cabin.....

Is this just conjecture, or do you know for a fact that they're fixing these lines? I've thought for years that it was stupid and shortsighted for them to lose this effect. And it would be pretty easy to float propane tanks over nightly to maintain the effect without the lines underwater. But then, that'd cost money, wouldn't it?

Laffite
11-01-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by tabacco
Yep! Futurama's right!

Specifically, it's from episode 404, "Love & Rocket" (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-249/epid-114638/)

Love that show! (though I don't think they're doing anymore new episodes? :confused: )

And I don't remember the "all your base are belong to us reference" in that episode.

--Preston

Hydroman
11-01-2002, 08:45 PM
I had this funny picture of a solitary hose sticking over thr river edge, and a guy sitting next to it with 600 cases of those little squeeze bottles of green food coloring

Is he sitting in front of the log cabin (that has a bug zapper attached) , drinking Hamns (oh wait, wrong colored water:rolleyes: ) Good times .....

California Aggie
11-03-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Sheila
The dark water system starts at the north end of DL: From the old Motor Boat system, to the Castle moat ponds then to the ponds you see at the entrances of Frontierland and Adventureland. The water then works its way to the Jungle Cruise then to the Rivers of America.

So how does the dark water system continue to circulate when the Rivers of America are drained? Is there some kind of bypass pipe? :cool:

Morrigoon
11-03-2002, 04:45 PM
My guess is they'll also do some badly needed repairs on the tunnel that goes under the ROA to the island. I understand it's been closed for years due to flooding and safety concerns.
Then again, maybe they'll just leave it closed.