PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland on a Date

Niwel
10-31-2002, 09:36 AM
After having gone to the Happiest Place on Earth several times solo and with family and friends --- I am finally getting to go there on a date. I told the guy that I'm seeing that I'd take him to the theme park of his choice for his birthday (hoping he would pick DL). We're going on a sunday in a couple of weeks because I want to see all the holiday decor.

The surprise is that during our midday break, he gets to watch sports at the ESPN Zone so yours truly can go shopping. :)

So my question (for those of you who have gone before with your significant other) is what are the "must-dos" on a date (we've been going out since June).

jrad32
10-31-2002, 09:43 AM
I don't know if there are a lot of must dos, but whenever I've gone with my girlfriend, now my wife, we try to take it slow. We don't really run for rides, but relax and stroll more.

Waiting in lines is fun, because you have someone to talk to.

I would say plan to be there at night when the lights are on because that's always a little more romantic. Also a ride on the Mark Twain or lunch or dinner at the Blue Bayou can be a nice date experience.

YuriJjang
10-31-2002, 10:01 AM
I've actually went on a date in Disneyland (probably a lot more in the future since my current gf loves it there). I'd agree that, just stroll through the park, enjoy the atmosphere.

My gf is saying "just hold hands and take lots of pictures with Pooh (her favorite)" I'd have to say, just take it easy and no matter what, you'll enjoy it :)

Mukta
10-31-2002, 10:21 AM
Disneyland is a very romantic date spot. I have been there with all of my old high school and college boyfriends. Unfortunately most of my cuddle favorites are gone. Peoplemover was good and so was Splash Mountain. Haunted Mansion is cozy, dark and slow. Fantasmic sitting on the ground in the front is nice. Matterhorn is close quarters. The snow at the end of the fireworks is also kind of fun. You guys are going to have a great time. Keep in mind that guys who aren't overly fond of amusements parks get cranky about lines, so use Fastpass as much as you can. Your ESPN zone idea is a really good and thoughtful. Have fun.

YuriJjang
10-31-2002, 11:25 AM
What guy is not fond of theme parks??? Especially Disneyland! :P

Allysen1Derland
10-31-2002, 11:45 AM
Make-out on the Mansion!!!!

(Oops! That's what to do back when you're 17! ) :D Ah, well! It works at any age! (with the right person, of course!) ;)

All kidding aside, I have to agree with those who have said Disneyland is a fun and romantic date spot! It really, truly is! It is, afterall, where I had my first kiss! ;) And you really can find out a lot about a person while visiting the Magic Kingdom! (*For example*: If he screams like a schoolgirl and cries and hides his eyes while on the Mansion (and he's not under 10) you may wanna reconsider your dating status. If she gets all rowdy on Pirates' and praises their drunken, pillaging behavior, whilst swearing like one, you may wanna reconsider, too!) See? It's like the ultimate dating test! :D :rolleyes: :~)

I've always made my "first" dates take place at DL! My ex boyfriend, Chris, couldn't stand DL! And honestly, it really was tough, because I love it so much! And that was just the first inkling of many troubles to come!

Just, relax, enjoy the company of your fella, and ride the Mark Twain at night (Ooh! The stars are so beautiful tonight!)

See? Your'e gettin' the jist of it! ;)

Ally (reformed and retired serial "Dater"! Haha! Just teasin'!) :D

Hyperboy
10-31-2002, 12:27 PM
I ALWAYS put potential b/fs through the "Disneyland test": (in a nutshell...) First off, they have to at least like Disneyland. Someone I met recently flat out stated that Disneyland is boring and for little kids, could we please hang out somewhere else. Wrong answer! Next contestant!

Second, if I can be with them the entire day at Disneyland and we're still chatting in lines a the end of the day -- it's a good thing. I've hung out with a few people who I've seriously wanted to lose in the park (but I'm not mean enough to do that).

Come to think of it, the last person I dated actually *bought* his first AP on our Disneyland date, maybe that's why we ended up lasting so long, lol.

My vote is in for the Haunted Mansion as best place to ride smooch. Just make sure you know where the cameras are and wave to them :D

Theres also a nice little romantic spot behind where the Columbia is parked (little bridge area behind where the Harbor Galley is).

Hope you have great time!

TecTalker2K
10-31-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by YuriJjang
What guy is not fond of theme parks??? Especially Disneyland! :P

Unfortunately, a lot of guys do not like disneyland because the rides aren't thrilling enough. It takes a little maturoty to enjoy he ambiance. At least you wqill find out if he is a loser so you can dump him. No personally, I would be offended if you were to dump me at the ESPN Zone. I love to shop and I enjoy it more with my GF.

Niwel
10-31-2002, 02:32 PM
This guy is a sports guy -- I think he'd be offended if I didn't let him hang at ESPN Zone for a few hours. Besides, we need a mid-day break anyway since we are getting there when the park opens and staying through the fireworks. Who knows -- he might come shoping with me -- but ESPN Zone is a definte option.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice -- keep it comin'!

lisap
10-31-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Niwel
This guy is a sports guy -- I think he'd be offended if I didn't let him hang at ESPN Zone for a few hours. Besides, we need a mid-day break anyway since we are getting there when the park opens and staying through the fireworks. Who knows -- he might come shoping with me -- but ESPN Zone is a definte option.

I think that's cool--you two don't need to be joined at the hip all day. It's nice to offer him a break and let him decide. It's amazing what a mindless hour of sports can do for a guys attitude. :p :D

Laffite
10-31-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by TecTalker2K
Unfortunately, a lot of guys do not like disneyland because the rides aren't thrilling enough.

There are still plenty of guys (like me) that loves DL for its history, engineering marvels, and details and ambience though. Those other guys that dislike DL because it's for "kids" are just the typical "been there done that" guys that look for a one-day thrill and really don't pay attention :D

--Preston

Lady
11-02-2002, 01:22 PM
I went to disneyland with my ex a few years back on valentine's day but i didn't find it terribly romantic but it is a lot more fun going with just a guy than with girlfriends or family. With a guy, you are distracted enough while waiting in lines and you can explore the park at a relatively fast pace. I definitely suggest you go on splash mountain and matterhorn. in those two rides, he can wrap his arms around you from behind as you guys are sitting in the ride. this is somewhat romantic unless you'd rather not be touched and some guys get a little too fresh and try to maximize the touching even on rides *rolling eyes*.

Drag him into disney stores too and he might even buy you disney stuff. There is no faster way into a disney fanatic's heart than to buy them disney stuff. When we went, my ex got me pocahontas mocassins (i was wearing uncomfortable shoes) and a disney sweatshirt in the evening when it got cold.

dsnyredhead
11-02-2002, 02:58 PM
Since I met my husband at Disneyland, we went to DL several times over the time that we dated.

Sometimes, we would plan on it and have a place to meet up. Other times he would just surprise me. Since I lived locally, I'd typically go over after work...knowing that, so did he.

You don't always have to plan to do rides and such. DL has some places where it is just nice to sit and talk. Fantasia Gardens, Coke Corner (though CC can be a bit noiser and more public) as well as other places. There are places for dinner around DL that can be either inexpensive or expensive depending on your budget & mood.

lisap
11-03-2002, 05:57 AM
Eandcdad and I found an unexpectedly romantic spot Friday night...even with kids in tow.

The girls rode in the caboose of Casey Jr.'s train facing backwards and we took the seats facing forward. The Storybook area is so pretty at night, and the tunnel can afford a quiet place for a smooch or two. It may not sound all that great, but getting a few minutes alone while at DL with kids is pretty exciting. ;) :D

TecTalker2K
11-03-2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by dsnyredhead
Since I met my husband at Disneyland, we went to DL several times over the time that we dated.

So, tell us how you met hime at Disneyland. P;ease.

dsnyredhead
11-03-2002, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by TecTalker2K
So, tell us how you met hime at Disneyland. P;ease.

You would be surprised at how those sunday noon meets go! :)

I started going to the sunday noon hub meets about four years ago and met him there. We chatted online a few times and the rest is history. I do know that several other couples have met through the sunday meets and/or online.

Niwel
11-11-2002, 10:03 AM
Hey all!
Just wanted to say the date was perfect! We went on the first Sunny day of the weekend and got to see the first fireworks of the holiday season (they were fabulous!)

We got on everything we wanted (except for Peter Pan because it was an hour wait so we figured we could always come back).
We ate dinner at Ralph Brennan's (making reservation via the disney dine line beforehand which was such a time-saver) and sat in the room with the band. The restuarant is my reccomendation for any romantic evening.

Again thanks for all of your help!

P.S. He asked me to meet his mom next Sunday -- guess pixie dust is more powerful than I thought!