PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia: Main Street to Cars Land

Bytebear
08-19-2008, 10:29 AM
I was just thinking about how when Main Street was first created it was designed for nostalgia, reminding guests of a time gone by. Parents could take their kids and show them what life was like when they were young. Well now, we have no recollection of that time, so it has become historic, rather than nostalgic.

However, we have a new land coming to DCA called Cars Land (or hopefully Radiator Springs). This is the next generation's chance to have a little nostalgia of its own. I am hoping the Imagineers will think of what memories we hold for the 1950s and 1960s when they design this land, so we can take our kids and show them what life was like when we were young.

What do you envision this land meaning to you?

hefferdude
08-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Bootleggers running 'shine in modified '49 Mercurys on backcountry dirt roads
to avoid the revenuers? Now that would be one heck of a ride!:D

zombie pirate
08-19-2008, 12:51 PM
from the 1970s Dazed n Confused, drive around stoned looking for keg parties, with Led Zepplin, and Foghat jamming on the radio.

VickiC
08-20-2008, 06:03 AM
Anyone who remembers the 50's or 60's is unlikely to have small children anymore. I have small children and grep up in the 70's and 80's, but I'm not sure anyone wants to remember Datsun's and Pinto's.

oregontraveler
08-20-2008, 06:34 AM
I'm looking forward to the Sci-Fi Drive-in Restuarant when it finally gets approved.

TTFN92
08-20-2008, 08:09 AM
but I'm not sure anyone wants to remember Datsun's and Pinto's.

LOL! My DB had both of those. I remember taking the Pinto to get a Christmas tree and my dad had to run all of the stop signs because if he stopped it wouldn't start again. Ahh, memories :D.

VickiC
08-20-2008, 08:30 AM
I'm envisioning a 3D exploding fastback ride.

Bytebear
08-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Anyone who remembers the 50's or 60's is unlikely to have small children anymore. I have small children and grep up in the 70's and 80's, but I'm not sure anyone wants to remember Datsun's and Pinto's.

But grandparents are the ones with the disposable income. And I was thinking more like the Ford Fairlane, Firebird or the GTO. Isn't that what CARS the movie was about? I mean the main character was named after Steve McQueen! I don't think he drove a Datsun.

tinker3
08-20-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm looking forward to the Sci-Fi Drive-in Restuarant when it finally gets approved.

Ditto! I am not sure it this really is a possibility, but I would love to see a drive in restaurant. I am also a child of the 70's - 80's and have many fond memories of the Drive in's.

It's definitely something Grandparents might enjoy sharing memories with their grandchildren. My Dad got my middle son collecting 1950's cars (toys) and he loves it! My parents LOVE the movie Cars. Personally, I am very excited for "Cars Land"!

VickiC
08-20-2008, 09:33 AM
I wish my kids' grandparents had disposable income. :-( We may be supporting them soon.

oregontraveler
08-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Ditto! I am not sure it this really is a possibility, but I would love to see a drive in restaurant. I am also a child of the 70's - 80's and have many fond memories of the Drive in's.

It's definitely something Grandparents might enjoy sharing memories with their grandchildren. My Dad got my middle son collecting 1950's cars (toys) and he loves it! My parents LOVE the movie Cars. Personally, I am very excited for "Cars Land"!

Apparently it was part of the initial budget but has been tabled for now.

crazi4dlr
08-23-2008, 01:23 PM
LOL! My DB had both of those. I remember taking the Pinto to get a Christmas tree and my dad had to run all of the stop signs because if he stopped it wouldn't start again. Ahh, memories :D.

I think I got that car when your dad was through with it :p It would stall and then it would "screeeeeeeam" when you tried to start it again. Oh yeah and the radio sounded like everything was under water. My BF's roommate eventually ran it under a parked big rig in a drunken stupor one night, he walked away without a scratch but alas the same could not be said for the dear Pinto. Ahhhhh the memories.

nursechrissy32
08-25-2008, 12:41 PM
How about before there were seatbelt rules and we would ride around in the back window of the pinto....staring at the people behind us, sticking out our tounges....our bad cousins using the middle fingers! You could even include the cigarette filled air and the slam on the brakes at the end instead of the kids flying from the back window onto the floorboard, they could land into a soft mattress, and upon exiting, safety messages blare from the speakers hanging from their wires in the door!

Kidding of course.....just being silly

But seriously...Radiator Springs....I hope that it has a wide street with arrows for oncoming "people traffic" and outgoing "people traffic" so we can stop all the jams that happen as we all try to get somwhere else! :) I think it is going to be alot of fun, cant wait to see what they come up with! :)

racccoon
08-26-2008, 01:42 PM
They have a restaurant like that over at WDW at the Movie Studios. It was a real fun place to eat and watch silly old horror movies.

TTFN92
08-27-2008, 01:52 PM
How about before there were seatbelt rules and we would ride around in the back window of the pinto.... :)

I would always do this. We had an Ford LTD with a BIG back window. I was the perfect size to fit up there. I also used to sit on the armrest that folded down inbetween my parents. Ahh, those were the days :p.

ScottC4746
09-05-2008, 05:24 AM
AMC Pacers...anyone remember those wedges on wheels?

doublewide77
09-05-2008, 06:03 AM
One of those white super clean gas stations full of eager beavers to work on your car, showing gas at .25 a gallon. My hometown actually had an intersection with one of these on each of the 4 fours corners...

but this would belong in Fantasyland, as who would ever believe gas was .25?

Gilesmt
09-07-2008, 10:10 AM
My memories of the 70's.

68 Nova's or were they 67.
Any year of Mustang or Corvette.

8 police cars in the center of town, all parked at Dunkin Donuts. (Sorry if I am spelling it wrong WA state does not have any of these donut shops, and it has been 18 years since I have been back East).

Mid 70's, gas lines that were blocks long. I don't remember what gas prices were but the lines I remember.

How about the car seats for infants, my brothers I do not think strapped in, it was just a metal frame that was a back, a seat and then from the front went down from the seat of the carseat to the seat of the car and had legs that went back. It had a wheel he could pretend to be driving. It was in the front middle seat and since it was not strapped in and brought him up off the seat about 8 inches, if we every breaked fast or got in an accident he would have flown out thru the windshield and been killed instantly.

Another thing I remembered back in my childhood in the center of town was Sunday mornings. The police out at the big churches directing traffic out of the parking lots after each service. Something I have not seen in at least 20 or more years.

How about the big ice cans at each corner during the winter months, were the shovel was in the can and you could just scoop out sand and ice mixture at the corners if your car got stuck when you stopped for the lights.

Or the convertables with no seat belts and a brother who drove up over hills 90 miles an hour and made your stomach drop. As you went flying up out of your seat and landed hard on your butt.

I think my daughter who is 18 would love to go and see all that and be able to tease me back from teasing her daily that she is probably the only licensed driver in WA state that still needs to sit in a carseat to drive, since she is only 4'8" she legally needs a carseat to sit in while she drives.