PDA

View Full Version : Cats in Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2

adikted2disney
08-17-2008, 01:11 PM
We were eating at the Hungry Bear Restaurant and we saw a cat walking around! Can someone please explain to me why there is a cat there? I was quite curious and I took a picture of the cat :p

D15
08-17-2008, 02:09 PM
There are a lot of them living at Disneyland. They help take care of the rodents, and Disneyland helps take care of them :)

A brief search returned some previous threads if you want to know more, and there might be some pictures in there too- This one (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=22220), this one (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=19970), and this one (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=65928) (conveniently named the same thing as this thread! ;))

MickeyM00C0w
08-17-2008, 11:30 PM
There are more than just cats. There are plenty of rodents and opossums around. There's a legend with the Hungry Bear cats that they've been there since the park opened. Obviously, given a cats lifespan, that's not possible, but it exists because there have always been 3 cats in that area.

PanFan
08-18-2008, 09:34 PM
There's a number of them that frequent the Storybook Land area. They usually hang out backstage during the day, but sometimes you have to watch out for them on the track while driving Casey. I've seen Figaro (the black and white one) climbing Cinderella's Castle (Catzilla!) and Tigger (an orange one who reminds me more of O'Malley) is often seen darting behind a bush when spotted. They come on stage almost immediately after the area has been cleared of guests after park closing (the cans of food that come out then probably contribute to that as well...).

MKY4ME
08-19-2008, 11:57 AM
he looks fat and sassy so must be plenty for him to eat!

tod
08-19-2008, 06:37 PM
We were eating at the Hungry Bear Restaurant and we saw a cat walking around! Can someone please explain to me why there is a cat there?

There have been untamed cats living at Disneyland practically since it was built. I think they were there when the place was orange groves. Walt was walking through the Castle and found a colony of them.

Best thing -- they don't have to leave!

--t

dsnyredhead
08-20-2008, 05:42 AM
CM's help take care of the cats as well. I've seen cm's taking (non-rodent) food to them and we talked to a cm who told us that the cats are rounded up and get their shots and medical care when needed. These cats are unofficial park cm's, they keep the rodent population down.

Empico
08-20-2008, 06:20 AM
I saw a mama kitty and her kittens above the que for Indiana Jones. Nice and shady there.

adikted2disney
08-20-2008, 09:42 AM
I figured they were there to help with rodents. If I were a cat, I'd live at Disneyland too! I sure don't blame them... maybe in my next life... :D

ralfrick
08-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Walt was walking through the Castle and found a colony of them.
--t

Yeah, but the fleas made them forget the cats at once.

A bientot.

PhiSigDuchessCV
08-22-2008, 03:22 PM
My brother and I were at the park on August 12th. When we had lunch over at Hungry Bear there were two cats there. One was asleep on the chairs but the other was walking around. The one walking around was a long haired grey tabby. I'm wondering if someone dropped him off recently because the cat came right up to my brother, Karl. Karl was even able to pet him. (I tried to take a picture but my camer ended up being busted :() It actually looked like he had been in a bit of a fight as there was a scratch on his back and tail that had bled sometime recently. We were going to check it out more but some kids came up at that point and the cat freaked and went back in to the bushes.

TheDisneyDude
08-24-2008, 11:49 AM
I have never seen the cats at DL but when I saw this post I thought it was so awesome that they have them and will definitely look for them on my next trip their. I'm a cat person and have two wonderful black cat's. I would like to see more pictures of them if anyone has them. :D

littlefirebird99
09-02-2008, 08:30 PM
of course there are cats in disneyland. you don't think little kids are the only ones trying to catch Mickey, do you? :D

angelbabie611
09-03-2008, 06:52 AM
Hmm I have never seen them before, but I will have to check this out when I am there next month. My boyfriend just loves cats! :D

Cathy at the Park
09-03-2008, 07:08 AM
Thank goodness for those cats.

Several years ago, before they redid the area in New Orleans Square to allow for Fantasmic! seating, we were sitting on the edge of a planter when we heard a little rustle. We looked deeper into the planter and saw a mouse, how cute, we said. Then we looked a little deeper, it was like a scene from 'Willard". They were all in there (all five million of them :eek:) chomping away on popcorn. I have never leaped up so fast in my life!

The next time we visited (maybe a month or two later) all the plantings had been removed and replanted with something else, no little friends were seen, but they probably just found more discreet lodgings.

Cathy

dlfansx4
09-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Thank goodness for those cats.

Several years ago, before they redid the area in New Orleans Square to allow for Fantasmic! seating, we were sitting on the edge of a planter when we heard a little rustle. We looked deeper into the planter and saw a mouse, how cute, we said. Then we looked a little deeper, it was like a scene from 'Willard". They were all in there (all five million of them :eek:) chomping away on popcorn. I have never leaped up so fast in my life!

The next time we visited (maybe a month or two later) all the plantings had been removed and replanted with something else, no little friends were seen, but they probably just found more discreet lodgings.

Cathy

Hopefully those cats are hanging around Jungle Cruise these days. About 5 years ago, we were waiting in the queue during the evening hours, right where it turns the corner and runs along side the loading area. I felt something heavy drop onto my shoulder but when I looked around me to see what it was, there was nothing there. My husband and I both looked around trying to find what fell. Then as we inched up in the line, I saw two large rats walking across the beam right above our heads. To this day, I swear it was a rat that dropped onto my shoulder and then ran off. The scary part (to me) was that I had my infant son in a baby carrier against my chest.
I haven't been on the Jungle Cruise at night since then.

lafdvolspt
09-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Last sunday we were in the park. Did not see any cats (have seen them in the past though), but when we were in line for the Casey Jr. Train, the plants around the line had plenty of mice running around in them. Great reason for cats!

MickeyM00C0w
09-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Hopefully those cats are hanging around Jungle Cruise these days. About 5 years ago, we were waiting in the queue during the evening hours, right where it turns the corner and runs along side the loading area. I felt something heavy drop onto my shoulder but when I looked around me to see what it was, there was nothing there. My husband and I both looked around trying to find what fell. Then as we inched up in the line, I saw two large rats walking across the beam right above our heads. To this day, I swear it was a rat that dropped onto my shoulder and then ran off. The scary part (to me) was that I had my infant son in a baby carrier against my chest.

Judging from the amount of opossums that inhabit the Jungle Cruise/NOCC area, I somehow think the cats steer clear of there and prefer to hang out over near Hungry Bear and Splash.

Janis and Aaron
09-05-2008, 11:47 PM
During a visit this spring, we saw a cat lounging on top of the rock formation at the front of Tomorrowland. It was a fairly busy day and it was fun to see all the people stopping and looking at the cat. I mean, we were doing it too, but still...with all the stuff to look at, what caught everyone's interest was something that could be seen in almost any home!

TheTexasKid
09-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Some place I've seen them, that no one else has mentioned, is around Disney's Grand Californian hotel. On the side of the hotel facing Disney's California Adventure.

ScottC4746
09-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Hopefully (well wait to you see the end of this post and you will see where I am going) hopefylly it was a rat that dropped and not rat droppings. EWWW!

ScottC4746
09-06-2008, 03:40 PM
A friend of mine worked at a now defuct Six Flags park in Houston called Astroworld. They used to have a jungle cruise type ride. The section they had it in was Plaza Mexicana and right next to it was a little gift shop that sold plaster snakes....well occasionally one of the problem residents of the river ride would slither into the stockroom from the waters (water moccosins) and would curl up next to it's little friend that had been drinking too much...haha get it ... it was plastered. <moan> sorry humor is not my best forte. Anyway in a nut shell I would rather have a rat problem than a snake problem. Astroworld too had cats...mean cats.

dlfansx4
09-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Hopefully (well wait to you see the end of this post and you will see where I am going) hopefylly it was a rat that dropped and not rat droppings. EWWW!

LOL - yep...ewww! But at least I would have know for sure what that was ;-)

Haunted
09-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Here are pictures of a couple of cats that reside in DCA. They are near the outdoor dining area of Taste Pilot's Grill - between the tables and the back side of the California Zephyr in the plant area.

In this first picture, you can see their little house in the background. You can actually see these all over both parks if you look hard enough.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/Katana_1969/IMG_0024-1.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/Katana_1969/IMG_0030-1.jpg

brenden
09-10-2008, 02:28 PM
There was a grey tabby one evening at the Hungry Bear that came up to me and pretty much sat with me for a good 15/20 minutes, hopped up on my lap while I waited for a friend to get out of the bathroom.