PDA

View Full Version : Blue Bayou - Great by me

Lashbear
10-29-2002, 01:22 PM
Hi all !

I just called Disney DINE and booked a table for Me, Greg & his girls on Thanksgiving day for lunch at 2pm !!

I'm hoping:
1) As I'm Aussie, and if I ask nicely, I might get a "waterside" table

and

2) They might be having a special Thanksgiving Menu (I hope so - it would make the occasion really special for us as this would be our first Thanksgiving Dinner in the USA !!)

Cheers, Bayou-eers !
Rob :D

Grandbreaker
10-29-2002, 01:34 PM
What Disney hotel will you be staying at?

Ghoulish Delight
10-29-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Lashbear
Hi all !

I just called Disney DINE and booked a table for Me, Greg & his girls on Thanksgiving day for lunch at 2pm !!

I'm hoping:
1) As I'm Aussie, and if I ask nicely, I might get a "waterside" table

and

2) They might be having a special Thanksgiving Menu (I hope so - it would make the occasion really special for us as this would be our first Thanksgiving Dinner in the USA !!)

Cheers, Bayou-eers !
Rob :D You should have no trouble getting a water table...if you are willing to wait a might longer. I don't think they do a special Thanksgiving menu, but they will still have the special HMH themed deserts, so you will have the opportunity to eat sweet lard! (I'd dig up a link to the thread that would make that rather disgusting comment make sense, but I'm too lazy ;))

lilblckrncloud
10-29-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
I don't think they do a special Thanksgiving menu, but they will still have the special HMH themed deserts, so you will have the opportunity to eat sweet lard! Mmmmmmmm, sweet lard... *drooling like Homer*

In all seriousness, tho, I also recommend partaking of the HMH desserts! They are so much fun. I was really blown away by the plating of Jack's Coffin. I whipped out my camera to take a pic right when the waitress looked over, so I asked her if it was ok. She laughed and said that everyone does it!

cstephens
10-29-2002, 02:45 PM
We had been planning on getting the pumpkin creme brulee as takeout since we don't want to eat there, but when I stopped by to ask on Sunday, they said they don't have to-go boxes. So, we're figuring on getting a to-go box from another restaurant and then seeing if they'll sell us pumpkin creme brulee to go.

Laffite
10-29-2002, 03:31 PM
that pumpkin creme brulee is more than excellent

--Preston

lilblckrncloud
10-29-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
We had been planning on getting the pumpkin creme brulee as takeout since we don't want to eat there, but when I stopped by to ask on Sunday, they said they don't have to-go boxes. So, we're figuring on getting a to-go box from another restaurant and then seeing if they'll sell us pumpkin creme brulee to go. IIRC, it comes in a coffee cup type container (I word it that way because I am not sure if it was an actual coffee cup but it did look like one), so I am not sure how well it would transfer to a box of any kind. That might be kind of messy.

Laffite
10-29-2002, 03:45 PM
yea, and the top is coated with some "hard" stuff and the cup is deep and narrow, which makes it hard to "scoop" the inside out as a whole.

tabacco
10-29-2002, 03:55 PM
Actually, the top in a creme brulee is just sugar. For those who don't know Creme Brulee is one of the more fun desserts to make because you get to use a blowtorch. See? Who says cooking is boring ;)

In all seriousness, you sprinkle the top of the dish with a layer of sugar and then torch it until it's molten, then let it harden up again.

cstephens
10-29-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by tabacco
Actually, the top in a creme brulee is just sugar. For those who don't know Creme Brulee is one of the more fun desserts to make because you get to use a blowtorch. See? Who says cooking is boring ;)

I received two blowtorches as gifts recently but haven't used either one of them yet. Actually, the blowtorch angle was what drew me to creme brulee to begin with. Prior to May 2001, I only knew that creme brulee was a dessert but didn't know what it was. We were at a restaurant, and a friend and I were considering ordering it, so I asked the waiter to describe it. When he got to "and then they take a blowtorch", I immediately said OK to ordering it. :)

Hmmmm, I'd apparently totally forgotten about the whole "make the dessert in the container" aspect of creme brulee. Duh. Oh, well, still no pumpkin creme brulee for me. :(

tabacco
10-29-2002, 04:49 PM
You could always make your own. Creme Brulee is actually not that hard. Also, for those of you without torches, you can do it with a broiler, too. It's just not nearly as fun ;)

Lashbear
10-29-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Grandbreaker
What Disney hotel will you be staying at?

Unfortunately we couldn't afford to do any of the Disney hotels - we're staying at the Peacock Suites instead :crying:

The main reason was we're spending 14 days in the DLR area, and even though a couple of days at one of the disney hotels would have been PERFECT, we couldn't break up the weeks art the Peacock Suites (we're leveraging an RCI Timeshare swap)

I'm hoping to meet and greet a few mousepadders along the way, though ! :)

Cheers,

Lashbear
10-29-2002, 05:19 PM
Well, you've all convinced me !

I think I'll go for a Monte Cristo myself, and then make sure all four of us order a different HMH dessert each ! (especially that yummy-sounding Creme Brulee - Pumpkin sounds like a refreshing change from Vanilla !)

Cheers,

PS: isn't "sweet lard" one of the ingredients in Twinkie Filling ? :~)

Bill Catherall
10-29-2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Lashbear
I think I'll go for a Monte Cristo myself...
That's what I'd choose. I love their Monte Cristo. Mmmmmmmmmm!

mousey_girl
10-29-2002, 05:51 PM
I am waiting for the 30 day mark (next week) to make dining reservations. I am only going to be making 2 (as of right now), 1 for breakfast at Storytellers and 1 for lunch at the Blue Bayou.

I have always wanted to eat there and every year something happens to prevent it. NOT THIS YEAR :~D !!

I am going to make lunch reservations prob for The Boy's actual B-day, I am just trying to decide whether or not to get any of the B-day treats.

Does anyone know if you have to wait until exactly 30 days from the day you want or can if be 30 days from the start of your stay at the resort?

IandGsmom
10-29-2002, 06:10 PM
Does anyone have the menu and/or prices?? I am going in Dec and want to go to the BB for the first time.

Lashbear
10-29-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by IandGsmom
Does anyone have the menu and/or prices?? I am going in Dec and want to go to the BB for the first time.

YAY !! You'll LOVE it !

Kevin's page at http://www.mouseplanet.com/drr/drrnos.htm has all the menus & prices for the Blue Bayou, and all the other eateries in New Orleans Square as well !

Make sure one of you try the Monte Cristo - it's DIVINE

Cheers,

YuriJjang
10-29-2002, 06:56 PM
I'll definately have to try that Pumpkin Creme Brulee :)

We'll be there that weekend also (seems like a lot of others also) and will be eating at the Blue Bayou on Saturday :D I would do it on Thursday too, but gotta save my tummy for the buffett at DLH :) I'm getting excited already!

Lashbear
10-29-2002, 07:46 PM
You always remember something else....

Despite what some sites report, you can book for the Blue Bayou up to 30 days ahead on (714) 781 DINE

Merry Cristo and a happy Julep !