PDA

View Full Version : What do you like to see in cast members?

Pages : [1] 2 3

dcaprincess
10-28-2002, 08:34 PM
I would like to know what kind of things can a cast member do to make your day better? Is there a certain way they talk to you, or personality traits. I am a cast member in attractions and would like to know what to do to make people happier while visiting in the resort. Also what are some bad things you have see done by cast members? I am just trying to make magical memories.

Laffite
10-28-2002, 08:46 PM
which attraction? Perhaps I'll stop by :)

say hello and engage in conversations with folks a lot. I know it sounds simple but.....it works. After MA on Sunday, my team went and asked a CM (with a cute nametag of Angel Ann :D) at Inno to see if she knows any Disney trivia. She was curious why we were asking such insanely specific questions. We explained and we got engaged in about 30-min converstaion about all kinds of stuff. And it was fun talking with her.

Anyway, people want to be acknowledge that they're there.

Good luck!

--Preston

Morrigoon
10-28-2002, 08:48 PM
Speak in complete sentences. Sounds odd, but it's surprisingly much more polite than incomplete sentences.

Laffite
10-28-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Speak in complete sentences. Sounds odd, but it's surprisingly much more polite than incomplete sentences.

another reason why I'll never make a good

:(

--Preston

oregonzooron
10-28-2002, 09:06 PM
I read an industry study once that showed that the wingle most important thing in making a visit to an attraction (park, zoo, etc.) memorable - that made that visit stand out in their mind - was interaction with a staff member. As wonderful as the place may be, to make a connection there must be human contact.

That one-on-one connection with your visitor is crucial to their experience. YOU are the one that makes there visit something they look back on fondly, and that they want to repeat.

Take the time to make a connection. Even if it's just a smile - and never discount the importance of eye contact - raising them above the level of a face in the crowd will make a world of difference to them.

And, by the way, it will make your day brighter too!

see you at the zoo

ron

tabacco
10-28-2002, 09:07 PM
I have to agree with Laffite... take the time to chat with people. On the occasions when I got to work POTS or Fantasmic! people seemed genuinely surprised that an employee would stop to just chat (before anyone chides me, I use the term 'employee' intentionally, since most non-AP guests don't think of us as cast members). That's one thing you NEVER see at Six Flags, Paramount, or any of the others... employees taking the time to chat in a non-sales-pitch kinda way to guests. So yeah, ask people how their days are going, ask them where they got their cool t-shirt, etc. That's my best suggestion :)

Also, if you can get ahold of any of the "Honorary Citizen" stickers, kids LOVE to get them.

Laffite
10-28-2002, 09:20 PM
Yep yep yep. Usually, guests will NOT start conversations with you. You're the one that has to start it up.

You said that you work at an attraction, that's probabaly the best, since people will be standing in line. Talking to poeple will pass time for them.

That's one thing you NEVER see at Six Flags... employees taking the time to chat

Arg...I'm guilty of that...:( Although in our orientation they encourage us to talk to guests. We're supposed to say "hi" to guests that are within 5 feet of us. That ain't possible, people!

--Presston

Morrigoon
10-28-2002, 09:33 PM
Talk to Maynard - he has the highest number of Guest compliments EVER. :D

And he really cares a great deal about guest experience - he'll be flattered by you coming to him for advice (but remember to say thank you!)

Laffite
10-28-2002, 10:14 PM
is he still a regular full time CM, or does he just work on and off and when he feels like it?

tabacco
10-28-2002, 10:59 PM
Maynard is, I believe, CR-25. If I'm wrong, he's plain ol' CR. But he's got buckets of seniority, so he can probably get just about any shift he wants :)

Morrigoon
10-28-2002, 11:10 PM
Unless a B wants it

Bill Catherall
10-29-2002, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by tabacco
So yeah, ask people how their days are going...
And while you are asking that don't ask if "we are doing a good job."

We were in line to see Aurora (yes, her name is not Sleeping Beauty...my 4-year-old will correct you on that :D ) and the CM who was with her keeping the line in control was doing a very good job of interacting with the guests and having fun with the kids while they waited in line. That is, until he asked one little girl if they were doing a good job "keeping the magic." While that may seem like a good question, it's the wrong way to ask, in my opinion. A CM should remain "in character" at all times and never remind the guest they are putting on a show. When a CM asks a guest how the show is going it pulls them out of character for a moment. Other than that he did a really good job.

I especially liked his answer when someone asked him why Aurora was dressed in blue instead of pink (make it blue). He said "It depends which fairy dresses her." :D I thought that was clever.

Princess Aurora also put on a really good show when Pinocchio and Gepetto walked by. She put on a little ad-lib with them asking if they were going to come to the ball and introduced her "little friends" to them and had them sign some of the kids' books. It was cute. Taking a moment to have fun with the guests and give them some of your time without making it feel rushed (even if you are) always makes for fond memories.

tabacco
10-29-2002, 08:03 AM
I agree with you 100% Bill. I always sort of worry when I ask people things like "Are you having a good day so far?" that they'll worry I'm taking a survey or something.

TecTalker2K
10-29-2002, 08:10 AM
Don't forget that to you this may be job but to th rest of us you are part of the magic. Be yourself, enjoy what you do.

teri
10-29-2002, 08:44 AM
Genuine facial expressions. There is nothing more *ick* than having someone smiling on the outside while they are loathing on the inside. If people are feeling like guests are jerks, they should be backstage.

I don't mind people asking if things are going well, or if they are doing OK -- I sense that as reaching out and trying to connect.

Probably the #1 primo most important thing I like to see is people interacting with my kids and making them feel special. I love it when a CM takes time to listen to my son and try to understand what he is saying, plays along. Love it.

tabacco
10-29-2002, 09:05 AM
Heh... on the subject of kids, I see lots of 'Lilo and Stitch' moments, where the guest's son or daughter really really wants to pay, so the money goes from parent to child to me, then the change goes from me to the child and rather grudgingly back to the parent. It's really funny to see :)

justagrrl
10-29-2002, 09:09 AM
Acknowledge my presence. ;) I really love talking to CM's as we wait in line.

My children LOVE telling them their favorite part of the ride, or about their favorite character. They love waving to CM's on the Sun Wheel at DCA as we go by, especially. More often then not, they get no response...but when they do, they remember it all day.

To the kids, CM's are nearly celebrities...only one step down from Mickey or Pooh themselves.

MammaSilva
10-29-2002, 09:27 AM
I agree with everyone that has said...interact with the guests! Kids "expect" interaction from the characters but CM interaction is just as important....even if you CM's aren't aware of it! Justagirl is correct, in our childrens eyes the CM's are celebrities as well as the characters....my niece still talks about the time we were waiting for her brothers to get off a ride and a CM just started talking to her about our visit! I felt sorry for the CM because she can chatter but the CM was wonderful .......another time that comes to mind was a total surprise since all the visits we had made to the park I had never had this happen, but we were at BTRR ...Brandy was in her chair that day, the boys and Miranda took her thru the exit and waited their turn, rode then before they could get back to us out came a CM that we could "tell" was looking for someones parents... we were thinking oh boy someone blew it... here come our four kids, the CM right on their heels, I have a sinking feeling that they were rude or misbehaved! NOPE.... she came out to tell us how wonderful and patient and well mannered the kids were and how they impressed the CM's on duty with how they took care of their cousin and then she gave us a coupon for a free ice cream for the kids... the kids didn't want to get their free ice creams because that meant we had to give the card back... they kept the card as a souviner........but it was so good for them to receive acknowledgment that being good and having manners with the CM's and other guests IS noticed!

GeminiAngel
10-29-2002, 10:53 AM
This may sound petty or just plain stupid but when a cm askes "how is my day going so far" it totally takes the magic out of the day. "so far" reminds me that my day is going to end.
and I guarantee at that point and time that I've been asked that, I'm not ready for reality yet!!!:crying:

MonorailMan
10-29-2002, 03:12 PM
What I Like To See In A Cast Member:

[list=1]
A good smile. No frowns allowed. (Unless it's a Haunted Mansion thing, then a straight face works)
Keeping the theme. Example: "Our Rocket's Boosters Are Malfunctioning, Come Back Later" vs. "It broke down"
Someone who always helps, none of this "This isn't my section" stuff.
Someone who enjoys there job. Yes, pushing the green button may be boring, but make the best of it!
[/list=1]

Lashbear
10-29-2002, 03:20 PM
Two things come to mind for me as an occasional guest:

1) I was in line late one night for the Peter Pan ride and there was a considerable queue. I don't know how long it was, though, because the CM on the microphone was asking the crowd all sorts of Disney Trivia (which I kept getting right - oops :p) - no-one was complaining about the wait at all - in fact, I was sad when I got to the head of the queue !!

2) I was video-taping the Haunted Mansion (My favourite ride, hands-down), and was on the porch, just about to go into the foyer. There was a female CM on the porch chatting to a guest. I was filming her outfit, when the guest said to her "Smile, you're on candid camera". She stopped talking, gave me a filthy look, and disappeared into the foyer:mad:. I was not very happy at being 'snubbed' like that - but that's the only negative experience I had with a CM the whole time I have been going there - so that's pretty good ! :)

Cheers, Mansioneers,
Rob :D

Laffite
10-29-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
What I Like To See In A Cast Member:

[list=1]

Keeping the theme. Example: "Our Rocket's Boosters Are Malfunctioning, Come Back Later" vs. "It broke down"

[/list=1]

So true

SzczerbiakManiac
10-29-2002, 03:30 PM
Ditto pretty much everything that's been said before, but I have a small request for CMs speaking on a PA: take the microphone out of your mouth and speak clearly! Practice if you need to. If you are unable to hear your voice, ask someone if you can be heard and understood.

I don't think anything annoys me more than to hear, "Murnumgrum flegth rongogor arumbumnummeth vurgerlonwen." amplified and piped in my ears. :rolleyes:

Laffite
10-29-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by SzczerbiakManiac
Ditto pretty much everything that's been said before, but I have a small request for CMs speaking on a PA: take the microphone out of your mouth and speak clearly! Practice if you need to. If you are unable to hear your voice, ask someone if you can be heard and understood.

I don't think anything annoys me more than to hear, "Murnumgrum flegth rongogor arumbumnummeth vurgerlonwen." amplified and piped in my ears. :rolleyes:

I thought this was mostly a Magic Mountain thing

--Preston

tabacco
10-29-2002, 03:58 PM
Mmm, no. I work with mics a lot in my 'real-life' job, and it's a real problem. Very few people know how to use a mic properly, and tend to either shove it in their mouth, muffling everything they say, or talk right into the thing so that hard syllables pop. My other pet peeve is people who talk into radios at the same time they're pushing the talk button, leaving you without the first part of their message. ;)