PDA

View Full Version : I rubbed the lamp and out popped Aladdin...early!

FOOD_AND_DRUG
10-28-2002, 09:25 AM
Remember what day The Power of Blast!! started last year?

It was on Thanksgiving Day.

Ironically, if all goes as planned, you should be able to see "previews" of the Aladdin show beginning Thursday, November 28, 2002 (Thanksgiving Day).

The dates could vary by a few days because of cast and press previews, etc, but Thanksgiving Day looks like the first day of shows for the public.

Mark your calendars.

Upanova
10-28-2002, 09:28 AM
Whoo-hoo, Genie in a Bottle!

Question, is the Genie going to be a face or head character? I guess RW won't be doing the voice?

Upanova

Disneyphile
10-28-2002, 03:30 PM
I've met one of the guys playing Genie (I'm assuming there will be more than one, being there are multiple performances each day), and he will be a face character. Sounds like it's going to be a cool show! I can't wait. There definitely needs to be some good entertainment at DCA. (However, Blast was pretty awesome.)

Davideo
10-28-2002, 03:45 PM
Personally, I can't wait to see this. I hope that they don't try to talk down to the audience like so many of their shows. I hope they look at something like The Lion King and try to do something really innovative with it.

Laffite
10-28-2002, 03:55 PM
wait. Isn't this a 45 minutes show?

-Preston

Davideo
10-28-2002, 03:59 PM
Yes, it is a 45 minute show. By 'doing something like the Lion King', I didn't mean a full-scale, two act musical. I meant utilizing innovative techniques, like how Julie Taymor made the show so uniquely theatrical with all the great masks and costumes. It's a little different than Mickey's Detective School and The Ugly Bug Ball.

Laffite
10-28-2002, 04:03 PM
This show is longer than Fantasmic? I laugh.

sydney
10-28-2002, 08:45 PM
hmm....

Laffite, although this show is longer than fantasmic, as you say, I would say that the "time invested" in this show during your day at the park will be somewhat less than fantasmic. Do you often see people wait less than, say, half an hour for fantasmic? Likewise, I imagine you won't see people waiting over an hour for Aladdin. so I think in total, a 45 minute show plus like 20 minutes in line should wind up being about a 60-76 minute total experience. I know many people who spend much more time than that "invested" in watching fantasmic.

Just something to think about.

Laffite
10-28-2002, 08:58 PM
lol. I show up last minutes for Fantasmic! (seen it a million times. I'm really just there to hear the cannon shots, and see the Columbia in the lights).

Anyway, I'll see it. I have AP so the time is not a problem. But I brought it up because DCA operating hours are limited, and some people that paid for the 1-day ticket may be discouraged because they think they can find better use of that time, like going to lunch or something.

--Preston

sydney
10-29-2002, 12:03 AM
I know the feeling about the finale of fantasmic. as a fellow passholder, I usually see fantasmic a few times a season, but mostly, I refuse to spend the time that's required waitingfor fantasmic... but I do make a point of seeing Believe each time I'm there. some people have labeled me obsessed-- (If you're ever walking by Coke Corner and Rod is letting me play a few songs, I'll play you the believe theme, I'm actually getting it close to perfect.

:)

TP2000
10-29-2002, 01:45 PM
My expectations for Disney theater entertainment have been boosted a great deal by Blast!.

This Alladin thing had better knock my socks off right out of the box like Blast! did, or I'll be disapointed.

And no corny "re-do" that closes Aladdin for 2 months to restage and remake the thing like they tried to do with Steps In Time back in '01.

Aladdin needs to impress me and meet or exceed the high standards set by the amazingly wonderful Blast! show, or else the thing is sunk.

Laffite
10-29-2002, 03:38 PM
I have a question; will this show includes LOUD sounds and explosions such as of a cannon, a la Lincoln or Columbia?

--Preston

JeffG
10-29-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by TP2000
Aladdin needs to impress me and meet or exceed the high standards set by the amazingly wonderful Blast! show, or else the thing is sunk.

So how do you plan to sink the show single-handedly? You aren't actually suggesting that the show can only succeed if it appeals to your personal tastes, are you?

-Jeff

PXSgeek
10-29-2002, 08:53 PM
i dont like broadway shows(at all). Im not very exited about aladdin because the previews tell mention nothing about bright lights, big sounds, and aladdin and genie having a drumming contest. Worse would be one of those cheesy musical shows where they dance and sing.

gn2dlnd
11-01-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Laffite
...some people that paid for the 1-day ticket may be discouraged because they think they can find better use of that time, like going to lunch or something.

--Preston

Isn't that all there is to DCA, going to lunch or something?

ldsguy
11-24-2002, 08:32 PM
Well, from what I understand the Aladdin show at DCA is supposed to be Broadway quality and be a test run to see if a two hour version would do well on Broadway, so if that is indeed the case, then all characters will be face characters, (Abu exemted, i think) granted some with elaborate costumes, but they all should do thier own singing and talking.

As far as DCA being lunch, it is not worth a one day/one park ticket, yet, but it is a fun little park when you can go back and forth.

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
11-24-2002, 09:19 PM
I don't understand the tone of some of these posts. It seems some of our fellow posters believe DCA should do x y z 'or else'..

Or else what? Does anyone recall how dramatically the prices of APs dropped and how it was mentioned time and time again DCA was a 'add on' to the existing Disneyland annual pass for something like 10-15 bucks extra a year.

They dont' owe us anything. Blast was nice while it was here - now it's gone ... oh well.

At some point one has to consider the overall value of any entertainment offering and make a decision if it's worthwile.