PDA

View Full Version : DLR alone

Pages : [1] 2

TexanDisneyFan
10-28-2002, 08:34 AM
Howdy everyone!

Have any of you gone to the parks by yourself? How goofy did you feel?

I'm going to be in Long Beach on a business trip in November and cannot imagine being that close to Disneyland without actually going. I've tried desperately to figure out how to get my wife there, but it just isn't working.

So, will I look like a complete loser riding IASW and Toad without my wife and kids?

Also, can I hop from park to park on a regular ticket? I think I'll have at least a day and a half at the resort.

Thanks!

refurbmike
10-28-2002, 08:47 AM
For my web-site, I've found myself going to Disneyland alone often. Talk about loser: Atleast you're not standing in line for Dumbo for 40 minutes, just to go on an elephant alone and take pictures of the Carousel!

But I've also gone on my own for the fun of it and I can tell you there isn't anything better. Nobody to argue with over which ride to go on. You can completely waste or utilize your time as you see fit. It is the best thing in the world.

And right now there are no park hoppers for one or two day trips. I believe the first hopper starts at a three-day. But it's not like you wanted to hang out at that *other* park anyway, right? ;)

Enjoy your trip and if you really fear loneliness, plan a meet with some MousePadders!

malin
10-28-2002, 11:06 AM
I recently visited Disneyland Resort Paris on my own.Its no problem really.A lot of family's split up and do other things on there own.So you won't be the only guest on attractions like its a small world and Toad.Castmember's couldn't care and guest are to busy having fun to care.You will also find going solo fun as you can do want you want when you want to.Im heading to DLR in a few days and Iam already planning to do things by myself as one of the members of our party has never been on IASW.So I will probely ride Roger Rabits Cartoon Spin while the rest of the group do IASW.

Mukta
10-28-2002, 11:11 AM
I live in Long Beach and mostly go to DL alone on weeknights. If I get there by 6, I can usually ride 6 things before closing at 8. I usually go once a week. In the beginning I felt stupid. I love the FL rides and I have sat by myself many a time on Peter Pan and Mr. Toad's. After a while I just figured who cares if people think I am weird, I don't know them. I feel a little self-concious sometimes, but it fades.
It is about a 25 minute trip with mild traffic from Long Beach. If you are there for weekdays, a day will be more than enough time at DL.
I agree with refurbmike, now when I go with people I get irritated when we are trying to decide what to ride. I like the peacefulness of being alone at DL.

tabacco
10-28-2002, 11:12 AM
I go on my own all the time while I'm down there. I actually enjoy going by myself because I can just go and do what I want without having to talk others into it. Besides, when you're by yourself you can do single-rider lines and save buckets of time!

TexanDisneyFan
10-28-2002, 12:40 PM
Thanks guys! I must admit it will be nice to not have to worry about height requirements and nap times!

I think I'm going to get a three day passport so I can park hop. I'll probably spend an afternoon/evening at DCA with a full day plus whatever is left at DL.

Maybe I'll run into you other loners in line! ;)

refurbmike
10-28-2002, 12:55 PM
Well... what are the dates you're visiting the resort?

TexanDisneyFan
10-28-2002, 01:05 PM
November 9-13.

Do you have to use your passport on consecutive days? I know at WDW you can skip a day.

Traci
10-28-2002, 01:08 PM
I could also do DL & DCA by myself. I do it every Christmas to shop and sometimes I've gone there by myself just to see a parade that nobody else I go with are interested in seeing.

Single rider lines are the best!

malin
10-28-2002, 01:10 PM
Im thinking of getting a 3 day park hopper ticket as well.I got a park hopper ticket on my recent visit to Disneyland Resort Paris.It was nice to be able to move from one park to the next.I am hoping to watch the Electrical Parade at DCA then switch to DL to catch the fireworks.Im going to be at DL on the 6th to the 8th of Nov.Thats my plan the rest of my gang can do what there please but Im doing things solo.

tabacco
10-28-2002, 01:51 PM
Ah, I have two pieces of good news for both of you...

First is that I will be there that weekend ;)

Second is that since your visit starts on the 9th, you can save yourself some money and get a $99 Socal AP instead of a 3 day park hopper for $114. See, Saturdays are blocked out, but you can get in on the day you buy an AP, even if it's blocked out. The other two days (Mon, Tue) shouldn't be blocked, so you're set. The AP can park-hop just like a regular ticket, and you'll have saved $15, plus whatever you get out of the AP discount on food in the parks.

There's a blockout day schedule here if you want to double-check: http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneylandresort/ResortInfo/AnnualPassholders/apBlockout/PopupWindow/calendarPopUp?id=6415

Malin, you don't even have to worry about the blockout days, since none of the days you're coming are blocked out.

blugenie
10-28-2002, 02:56 PM
i think that the 1st day you use the park hopper, the remaining days have to be used within 15days...i remember reading something like that on the hopper ticket that a friend bought.
anyone else...agree/disagree?

tabacco
10-28-2002, 04:16 PM
A full price park hopper purchased at the gate is good for 2 years. If you buy a discounted or promotional ticket from somewhere else like a travel agent or the Disney Store, then once you use the first day you have 13 more days to use the rest.

Pony Sugrue
10-28-2002, 04:18 PM
I agree with Tabacco.

I live about 9 or 10 miles from DISNEYLAND and I go once a week usually by myself. My fiance goes with me sometimes, but she can only take DL like once every 2 months.

Going by myself is a blast. If I want to do something stupid like walk out of the Haunted Mansion and just go stand right back in line again, I can... without anyone thinking it's strange. Sometimes I just grab some popcorn and sit on a bench staring out at TOM SAWYER island as the sun sets. I can sit there as long as I like without wondering what someone else may be thinking. I can let my mind drift... or sift through merchandise at stores on Main Street... or take my time looking at all the details around DL... without someone feeling impatient about it. I think going by yourself lets you pay better attention to everything. When someone else is with you, you feel like you should entertain them somewhat and can be distracted with conversation.

But I do that with a lot of things. I actually prefer seeing movies by myself too. That way I don't have to "See it through someone else"; wondering what they are thinking/feeling about all of it.... just myself.

I guess the bottom line is that there is no reason to have more than yourself there to enjoy anything. Don't get caught up on looking like a loser or anything... unless you're one of those ridiculous PIN FREAKS; wearing pins all over yourself... then yes, you are a loser. Nobody cares that you have the rare 'mis-printed DAVY CROCKETT' pin... get a life... you know... like me... going to the park... alone.

Laffite
10-28-2002, 04:23 PM
I usually go there for lunch and snap a few pictures, and the only ride I go on is Mark Twain (I would go on DRR, but the lines discourage me). While I DO go to DL alone, I try not to because I don't have anybody to share my thoughts with or anybody to talk to. I don't like being alone :(

--Preston

thekirk
10-28-2002, 05:48 PM
I can tell you what, I wish I could go alone! I'm 16, and all my trips, so far, have been with my family. My last trip was in late March....and I said to myself after it was all over "I'm never comming here with the people I live with again"
My dad is always trying to rush us to the next ride, my mom could care less, and then at the same time care about everything. It's like.........come on! I wish I could just go to the park by myself, or with one other person. That way there isn't so much arguing, and rushing.

I hope you have a great time by yourslef at the park.

Laffite
10-28-2002, 06:44 PM
I guess your family doesn't go to DLR often? There's too much to do in one day, and when all you have is one day, you're forced to rush things. Good thing about AP and multidays tickets is that you're not rushed and usually go through the park at a more pleasure, walking speed.

--Preston

hawaiimouse
10-29-2002, 02:54 AM
I went by myself in May with a four day hopper and had a great time for most of the same reasons everyone else had....single rider lines, not having to wait for everyone else, go on what YOU want to go on...

Was able to see Millionaire 4 times which would never happen if I was with others (and I actually got in the hot seat!). Didn't feel awkward most of the time because I'll talk to other people in line while I'm waiting.

So enjoy your freedom to choose your own options!! :D

TexanDisneyFan
10-29-2002, 06:23 AM
Hey Tabacco....
Do I have to provide proof of residence or anything to get a SoCal AP? I might have a hard time convincing them that Houston is an LA suburb! :D

EandCDad
10-29-2002, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by TexanDisneyFan
Hey Tabacco....
Do I have to provide proof of residence or anything to get a SoCal AP? I might have a hard time convincing them that Houston is an LA suburb! :D

They have, apparently, removed that requirement and will sell the $99 So Cal AP to anyone with $99. Even Texans. ;)

tabacco
10-29-2002, 08:13 AM
No problem at all. The people who make our signs and paperwork don't keep up with management, apparently. They keep printing that the AP is for zip codes 90000-93599 but that's not been the case for at least two years now. On the off chance you the ticket seller you talk to doesn't know it, ask for their lead. I can guarantee you 100% that won't happen, though.

Disneyphile
10-30-2002, 01:39 PM
I go alone all the time! In fact, I'll be doing it again this Friday night to catch Fantasmic!

My favorite thing about going alone - Single Rider Pass.

The funniest thing to happen (and perhaps the most pathetic) to me was 2 years ago, when I went on a Tuesday in the off-season. The park was so crowd-less, the longest wait was 5 minutes. Anyway, I went on Pirates late that evening, and not only did I have my very own "private cruise", but there were NO people on the boats ahead or behind me. Talk about creepy! Let me tell you, it's a whole new experience when it's just you and the animatronics. I hope that will never happen to me on IASW. I can't imagine being the only living thing in there.

Germboy
10-30-2002, 03:58 PM
Like Mukta, I live in Long Beach too (we probably pass each other all the time without knowing it!)

By all means, TexanDisneyFan, go alone if you have to...it's too good to miss. (especially after coming all this way!)

I often go by myself, and like Mukta, I felt really strange at first. I was always with my family when I was little, and then through junior high and high school, I went with friends, etc. As I've gotten older, there are fewer and fewer friends around with AP's that are available to go, so I end up going solo and it is absolutely no problem.

I often notice people by themselves in the park, and no one even gives it a second thought. I started realizing that the only reason I felt uncomfortable with the situation was because it was me who was there by myself and not them!

I'm a sucker for the fireworks. Many times, I'll just go to the park, grab myself some coffee and wait for the fireworks to start. Most of the time, I don't even ride the rides. I find it is a great way to relax and forget about work for a while. And there is nothing like people watching!

Besides, Disneyland is so chock full of detail that you miss when you are caught up in conversation and rushing around. It is such a treat to take it all in.

And for some reason, when you are inside, you feel that it is the safest place you could possibly be.

If your fiance can't go, go by yourself and have a wonderful time. Welcome to California!:)

Germboy
10-30-2002, 07:04 PM
Er...make that your wife...where did I get fiance? Sorry :o

TexanDisneyFan
10-31-2002, 06:09 AM
Thanks guys! I plan on going and having a great time. If only I didn't actually have to work!

See you in line!