PDA

View Full Version : Main artery into Disneyland to be shut down in UNITE HERE protest

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Andrew
08-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Received from Unite HERE Local 681:

Police to Arrest Mickey Mouse
Clergy and Community Leaders to Join Hotel Workers and
Supporters dressed in Disney Characters in Civil Disobedience

WHO: Orange County Religious and Community Leaders, Labor Leaders, Students, and Hotel Workers

WHAT: A 1,000 person march from the Paradise Pier Hotel to Harbor Blvd. The marchers will block traffic at Harbor Blvd. Approximately 30 people (including workers, Supporters dressed in Disney characters, and clergy) will participate in civil disobedience as they call Disney to "be faithful" to the workers and the community.

WHEN: Thursday, August 14th

4:30pm -- Picket Line at the Paradise Pier Hotel
5:00pm - March from Paradise Pier Hotel
6:00 pm - Civil Disobedience blocking Harbor Blvd.
WHY: DISNEY IS UNFAITHFUL. Approximately 2,300 employees of the Disneyland Hotels, including bellmen, dishwashers, room attendants, and cooks, have been working without a contract since February 2008. Disney is unfaithful to the community and the workers because they do not uphold their espoused family values. Many hotel workers who have given years to the company will be faced with increased difficulty in obtaining healthcare for their families due to the proposals of Disney. The company is proposing to increase both cost and eligibility requirements to these low wage workers for benefits like healthcare, vacation and seniority. This will cause suffering to many workers and their children.

mohavewolfpup
08-13-2008, 02:13 PM
oh lord, people who are probably here illegally demanding rights they don't have.... sounds typical. well i'd join the strike (har har) but my union itself entered into a contract with disneyland that I am no longer allowed to support other unions in their strikes or even strike myself. I am forced to cross picket lines or get fired instantly

DizneyMommy
08-13-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm confused... They already know 30 people are going to be civilly disobediant and they are publicizing this? So the cops know to come? Are they going to wear name badges, too, saying Arrest Me?

I must be missunderstanding.

And are they planning to walk through DTD? Isn't that then private property and DL can ask them to leave or have them arrested for trespassing?

Drince88
08-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Note to anyone wanting support from the general public for your activities: At least use correct English in your press releases announcing your plans to get arrested!

(And I'm talking 4th grade correct English, not PhD level correct English!)

adriennek
08-13-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm confused... They already know 30 people are going to be civilly disobediant and they are publicizing this? So the cops know to come? Are they going to wear name badges, too, saying Arrest Me?

If they're saying civil disobedience, it sounds like they plan to get arrested. They're probably doing it to try to embarrass Disney. Personally, I think they're embarrassing themselves and need to get over themselves. The economy is in the toilet and they're whining. Really. Get over yourselves.

Adrienne

Malcon10t
08-13-2008, 03:14 PM
oh lord, people who are probably here illegally demanding rights they don't have.... sounds typical. All I can say is WHOA. So, Disneyland doesn't follow proper hiring practices? And you know this how? You know the fines involved for hiring illegals? Do you know what is involved with hiring personnel (I-9s, verifying SSN, verifying green cards, etc..)? No? I do. You really should start on your guard card. You could put in your 2 weeks notice with Disney and use that time to get the guard card. There are 8 hour programs you could do in one of your days off. But, watch the attitude.

june1st1997
08-13-2008, 03:17 PM
As anyone who read the WGA Strike thread knows, but this is a bit much for me.

Planning on getting arrested wearing a Mickey costume is just silly.

AVP
08-13-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm confused... They already know 30 people are going to be civilly disobediant and they are publicizing this?

And are they planning to walk through DTD? Isn't that then private property and DL can ask them to leave or have them arrested for trespassing? You answered your own question.

I've been writing about this issue for months, and this post (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/blog.php?b=106) from March may provide some background on what's happening here. At the end of that post I wrote:

I have a feeling this has only just begun. The union leadership began the 3/12 meeting with a review of the actions taken against Disney to date, and reportedly said that they are much stronger and better organized than they were four years ago. Most telling, in my opinion, was a comment from [Unite Here Local 681 president] Ada Briceno saying "we're going to need people who are willing to be arrested." The negotiations have not even begun, and the union is already planning for civil disobedience? This does not bode well...

I spoke Ada Briceno on Monday, and she told me "worker leaders, community leaders and clergy will take arrest to highlight what's going on at Disney." So yes, they are planning this. They've recruited people who are willing to be arrested, they've decided how they are going to make that happen, and they have alerted the media so they get the most coverage possible.

You have to realize that I've been asking for an interview with Ada Briceno for five MONTHS, and couldn't get a reply from the union. Then she personally called me on Monday out of the blue to tell me about this. Obviously the union has decided to try to ratchet up the pressure on Disney, and having "Mickey Mouse" arrested in a labor protest is going to generate headlines.

AVP

cstephens
08-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Approximately 30 people (including workers, Supporters dressed in Disney characters, and clergy) will participate in civil disobedience as they call Disney to "be faithful" to the workers and the community.

Aren't they also opening themselves up to some kind of copyright infringement/use of unlicensed intellectual property charge? I would presume they haven't been authorized to dress as Disney characters. Yes, there are the costumes that Disney sells, but those are mostly for face characters. Does Disney sell an adult Mickey costume? Just asking because of the "Police to Arrest Mickey Mouse" line. Yes, because people will take more seriously the protest if they dress up as Disney characters. :rolleyes:

Bytebear
08-13-2008, 03:43 PM
All I can say is WHOA. So, Disneyland doesn't follow proper hiring practices? And you know this how? You know the fines involved for hiring illegals? Do you know what is involved with hiring personnel (I-9s, verifying SSN, verifying green cards, etc..)? No? I do. You really should start on your guard card. You could put in your 2 weeks notice with Disney and use that time to get the guard card. There are 8 hour programs you could do in one of your days off. But, watch the attitude.

I just read that identity theft is up 300%, mostly because it's easier for gangs to make money, even more so than drugs, and also to sell SSNs to illegals.

What's "Disney"?
08-13-2008, 05:11 PM
So wait, aren't the hotels going to be understaffed tomorrow?

How is Disney planning to deal with this?

This seems like a BIG DEAL, I am surprised this thread isn't multiple pages yet.

Malcon10t
08-13-2008, 05:25 PM
I just read that identity theft is up 300%, mostly because it's easier for gangs to make money, even more so than drugs, and also to sell SSNs to illegals.But, its usually not for jobs. There is too much match up. True, they can get a job for about 30-45 days, before the employer is notified of irregularities (paperwork returned from state/feds. This is my heavy time of the year for exactly this reason.) And unions will not help them with that.

SO, mohavepup's comments were out of line.

MickeyM00C0w
08-13-2008, 05:30 PM
So wait, aren't the hotels going to be understaffed tomorrow?

How is Disney planning to deal with this?

This seems like a BIG DEAL, I am surprised this thread isn't multiple pages yet.

Disneyland was so horribly overstaffed this summer, I doubt there will be that much of a problem.

AVP
08-13-2008, 05:31 PM
So wait, aren't the hotels going to be understaffed tomorrow?This isn't a strike, it's a protest. I would imagine that some CMs will call out "sick" to participate, but this isn't a work stoppage.

How is Disney planning to deal with this? Disney is obviously aware of this, and from what I've heard knew about it before the media alert went out. I'm sure there are all sorts of contingency plans in place - it's not like this is the first time a union has picketed Disney.

If the union members are intent on being arrested, there's probably little Disney can do to dissuade them. (Though it will be interesting to see if they press charges) I imagine Disney is going to do everything they can to minimize the impact on park visitors, but obviously this is going to be messy and ugly and visible, which is exactly the point.

I will be there to cover the protest, and I'll likely post to my MousePlanet Blog if I have the time to do so. If not, there will be coverage in next Monday's Park Update.

AVP

What's "Disney"?
08-13-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm very curious to see how all of this turns out.

tchatters
08-13-2008, 06:50 PM

Well I don't know specifically if they'll wear name badges but it is very very common in protests to identify a certain number of people who will be arrested. Often they even notify the police/sheriff/CHP in advance as to whom should be arrested and where. The police usually do what is asked because if they don't, the crowd can get unruly. It's a planned strategy to get the most media attention in the right spot.

AVP
08-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Well I don't know specifically if they'll wear name badges but it is very very common in protests to identify a certain number of people who will be arrested. Often they even notify the police/sheriff/CHP in advance as to whom should be arrested and where. The police usually do what is asked because if they don't, the crowd can get unruly. It's a planned strategy to get the most media attention in the right spot.The details I have about the event suggest that this is exactly what has happened here. The entire thing is timed and choreographed and scripted - there are a designated group of people who have agreed to be arrested and there is a schedule for when and where they will be arrested.

AVP

olegc
08-13-2008, 07:49 PM
it's not like this is the first time a union has picketed Disney.
AVP

as a side note - I have a button from the strike in the (edit) 1984 against disneyland. from a former cm. circle/slash on a mickey rat. interesting history.

olegc
08-13-2008, 07:52 PM
The details I have about the event suggest that this is exactly what has happened here. The entire thing is timed and choreographed and scripted - there are a designated group of people who have agreed to be arrested and there is a schedule for when and where they will be arrested.
AVP

i once dated a woman in college who's dad worked for the phone company. the union went on a work stoppage - but it had pre-negotiated the time out of work (3 days) with the phone company and then they would announce the new contract. union personnel would feel like they pressured the company, when in fact all the negotiations were wrapped up with the threat of the stoppage.

Of course - in this case with Disney I doubt the union has the same leverage. Hospitality industry is a lot different..

Another Dimension
08-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Mickey Mouse would never participate in such a public travesty as taking part a pre-meditated civil disobedience.

Heathens!

:p

DizneyMommy
08-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Well I don't know specifically if they'll wear name badges but it is very very common in protests to identify a certain number of people who will be arrested. Often they even notify the police/sheriff/CHP in advance as to whom should be arrested and where. The police usually do what is asked because if they don't, the crowd can get unruly. It's a planned strategy to get the most media attention in the right spot.

Wow, learn something new everyday! Thanks for explaining that. The whole tell the cops who to arrest and when thing seems so silly to me, having never felt the desire to protest something, but I am sure to them it is not so funny.

DizneyMommy
08-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Mickey Mouse would never participate in such a public travesty as taking part a pre-meditated civil disobedience.

Heathens!

:p

SERIOUSLY! I hope no children have to witness Mickey getting arrested, how traumatic, quick way to ruin a vacation for a 4 year old who loves Mickey. What would Walt say to resort employees asking the police to arrest someone in a character costume - even if it is not real and doesn't look like Mickey? (They're not using real ones are they? Just those ridiculous fake ones they wore last time?)

hefferdude
08-13-2008, 09:11 PM
espoused family values
a. To take in marriage; marry.
b. To give (a woman) in marriage.
2. To give one's loyalty or support to (a cause, for example); adopt.

What the? This verbage can be best used for growing petunias! So, what is the union’s intent on using this phrase? Words can be very misleading. Disney has been very forthright with family values. Including their policy on partner benefits et al. Correct me if I am reaching, but I will suggest this statement will include non-traditional betrothals aka “gay”. Btw – I have no problem with gay marriage as long as it includes messy gay divorces. ( whoa! just a little humor there folx..)

So yes, they are planning this. They've recruited people who are willing to be arrested,
Why are these people being “recruited”. If you truly believe in your cause, then “recruitment” has no place in your heart.

You have to realize that I've been asking for an interview with Ada Briceno for five MONTHS, and couldn't get a reply from the union. Then she personally called me on Monday out of the blue to tell me about this
This suggests Briceno was being held in abeyance until the UNION felt it had the right mixture of indignation and timing. Is it possible AB is not allowed to speak until her handlers have decided she can. So much for the First Amendment.

I just read that identity theft is up 300%, mostly because it's easier for gangs to make money, even more so than drugs, and also to sell SSNs to illegals.”
Sorry. Have to comment on this. My SSN was stolen ( randomly printed ssn card ) and I was left with an unpaid income tax bill as the hombre split south. Yes, I have the faux name used. It was an unfortunate awakening and caused my wife and children a financial hardship that we did not deserve - so I have less than zero sympathy on this count.

Final words, my personal cost for the same benefits has steadily increased over the last two decades. I work in aerospace. I love my job. I am lucky to have the coworkers I have. If one wants to point fingers, turn to the HMOs! Ask yourselves, who is really raising the cost of insurance?

One more thing, what is the salary compensation and benefits package of the union leadership that is driving media circus event? >Six figures?:rolleyes:

mohavewolfpup
08-13-2008, 09:11 PM
All I can say is WHOA. So, Disneyland doesn't follow proper hiring practices? And you know this how? You know the fines involved for hiring illegals? Do you know what is involved with hiring personnel (I-9s, verifying SSN, verifying green cards, etc..)? No? I do. You really should start on your guard card. You could put in your 2 weeks notice with Disney and use that time to get the guard card. There are 8 hour programs you could do in one of your days off. But, watch the attitude.

I stand by what I say. it's all around you, there is no denying this state has a serious problem with a illegal infestation. since i've come here, it's been a constant bombardment with it. news articles about illegals standing around street corners, (mexican) cops giving them pointers on how to avoid ins raids, etc. clearly a huge conflict of interest, and all people seem to go for is the "human interest" factor on the 5 o clock news for it.

It's tiring seeing it, I've had to work with people before right at disneyland that barely speak english, or speak good english but snap right into their mother tongue when you walk right on by... if i'm a racist for it, so be it

Malcon10t
08-13-2008, 09:27 PM
I stand by what I say.So, you are saying Disneyland illegally hires illegals and fails to follow proper procedures. And you are a Disney employee, so you do know you can turn them in, right?