PDA

View Full Version : Why I'll never eat at the Jungle Cruise

Pages : [1] 2

tod
10-26-2002, 02:56 PM
Was waiting for the boat with my kids Saturday morning about 9 and saw a rat scurrying along the pier -- I spotted it between the two loading chutes that feed into the boats, running pretty fast.

My kid who saw the rat was freaked out until I pointed out they're a lot more scared of us than we are of them.

Just the same, I'm never eating off the pier at Jungle Cruise, and I recommend that nobody else eat there either.;)

--T

Laffite
10-26-2002, 03:45 PM
Well gee there are rats at the Blue Bayou as well; in fact they're everywhere. That's why there are so many cats in the park, to keep the rats population down. You can't escape the rats!!!

Bill Catherall
10-26-2002, 07:46 PM
Well I'm never eating in the "It's Tough to be a Bug" theater. They've got cockroaches. Now that's just sick!

tabacco
10-26-2002, 08:21 PM
And what about MuppetVision? That's got Rats, pigs, frogs, and whatevers all running around loose :)

Morrigoon
10-26-2002, 08:29 PM
I can't help but think how lucky you are that Jungle Cruise doesn't serve food anyway! :p

socabch
10-26-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
Well I'm never eating in the "It's Tough to be a Bug" theater. They've got cockroaches. Now that's just sick!

Cockroaches freak me out more than rats, because they can sneak into the smallest places that have food. Since rats are larger and easier to notice if they are hanging around. When I lived in New Orleans they had roaches everywhere. Gave me the creeps.

No Grape Koolaid
10-27-2002, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by socabch
Cockroaches freak me out more than rats, because they can sneak into the smallest places that have food. Since rats are larger and easier to notice if they are hanging around. When I lived in New Orleans they had roaches everywhere. Gave me the creeps.

Didja know that cockroaches can survive on fingernail clippings? No need to thank me for this gross, useless knowledge. =)

Laffite
10-27-2002, 08:12 AM
Well they can live for another 3 days when you cut of their heads too :confused:

rexfarms
10-27-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Laffite
Well they can live for another 3 days when you cut of their heads too :confused:

And they could live longer too. But they die of starvation due to not having a mouth. *puke*

Upanova
10-28-2002, 09:26 AM
That's gross! EWWWW!

Okay, now that that's outta my system, I did see a MOUSE in the Jungle Cruise line, and I was sure it was a mouse, as it was tiny, creeping around. We christened it "Mickey" of course, and wished it luck in finding some food.

Also, as a side note, I did see one of the black cats in the French Market as I was having lunch. It was during the Holiday season last year, and I was quietly having lunch, when I saw this black cat, with her baby kitten weaving around through the tables. Her baby came up pretty close to me, looking for food until her Mom hissed at her to get away from me. Everyone at the tables was holding food out and saying, "Here Kitty, Kitty." The Mom was a pitch black cat with silver eyes, no kidding, her baby was a dark grey, almost black kitten, very cool. They ran off into the bushes and took the covered way out towards the fountian near the churros carts in front of the Mansion and streaked off into the bushes dissappering as silently as they had come in. I think the press of the holiday crowds had awoken them and they had to change lairs I guess....too stressed to take food from us I guess.

Overall, it was a neat thing to see. I hope those cats are fat and happy eating all those rats and mice in Disneyland!

Upanova

tod
10-28-2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Upanova
Okay, now that that's outta my system, I did see a MOUSE in the Jungle Cruise line, and I was sure it was a mouse, as it was tiny, creeping around. We christened it "Mickey" of course, and wished it luck in finding some food.

What's the difference between a mouse and a rat?

--T

RStar
10-28-2002, 10:51 AM
One is named Mickey, and the other is Gonzo. Besides that, I belive the size is the main difference.

BTW, why would any one pull up onto the peir of the Jungle Cruise and have dinner, Tod? But then again, perhaps that is why they stopped serving food at Aladin's Oassis next door......

We had a cat at our potluck, and a noticable lack of rodents. Now if we could do something about the flying vermin! Those bees, wasps, and yellow jackets got pretty annoing as well!:mad:

Ghoulish Delight
10-28-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by RStar
One is named Mickey, and the other is Gonzo. Besides that, I belive the size is the main difference.
Gonzo is NOT a rat. Gonzo is a Weirdo. Rizzo is a rat.

Mice and rats are different species. It's not just a size thing. They're as different as gators and crocs.

RStar
10-28-2002, 12:30 PM
I thought Eisner was the wierdo?

Thanks for the correction, it was Rizzo I was trying to recall. I will have to pay closer attention next time I'm watching the Muppets;) .....

So then, what is the diff. between crocks and gotors? (You KNEW that was comming didn't you?;) ) And how can that help us to know the diff. between mice and rats?

Ghoulish Delight
10-28-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by RStar
I thought Eisner was the wierdo?

Thanks for the correction, it was Rizzo I was trying to recall. I will have to pay closer attention next time I'm watching the Muppets;) .....

So then, what is the diff. between crocks and gotors? (You KNEW that was comming didn't you?;) ) And how can that help us to know the diff. between mice and rats? Well, visually, gators tend to be smaller and have a more "pointed" nose. All of a croc's teeth stick out when their moths are closed, while only a gators upper teeth (I think its the upper) stick out. Those are the physical differences. There's also a whole litany of behavioral differences. But the important difference...they can't mate. They are not the same species. Unlike breeds of dogs. The difference between kinds of dogs is purely visual, which genetric traits are expressed. However, all breeds of dogs can mate with each other. Crocs and gators, however, can't mate. Mice and rats can't mate.

As for the physical differences between mice and rats, I'm not entirely sure. Some of the basic ones are that rats have a longer, pointer snout. I think they also tend to have more fleshy bits (like the snout and the tail) than mice. I'm sure it's more extensive than that, but I haven't exactly studied the subject.

Bill Catherall
10-28-2002, 12:57 PM
Rats tails are also much longer (proportionally) than a mouse's and are "scaly." (We have 2 rats at home...yes, they're pets. :p Rats make great pets. Highly intelligent and they don't bite.)

Ghoulish Delight
10-28-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
Rats tails are also much longer (proportionally) than a mouse's and are "scaly." (We have 2 rats at home...yes, they're pets. :p Rats make great pets. Highly intelligent and they don't bite.) And don't smell as bad as mice. Seriously. Pet mice stink to all heck. Rats, while they have some odor issues, are much easier to keep from stinkin' the joint up.

mousey_girl
10-28-2002, 02:15 PM
Also, rats have control of their bladders and mice do not. I can't wait until The Boy is old enough for pet rats!!

tod
10-28-2002, 02:26 PM
Thanks guys. I knew somebody would know.

--T
debating whether to explain that I was joking about EATING at the Jungle Cruise or just let it lie.

tabacco
10-28-2002, 02:48 PM
What, you mean you didn't know there was a restaurant in the Jungle Cruise? ;)

tod
10-28-2002, 02:53 PM
Oh, shut up.

:D

--T
laughing out loud

RStar
10-28-2002, 03:20 PM
Thanks, GD. But other than looks as far as the rats and mice thing goes I still don't "know what the difference" is. Like you said, I too have never studdied the issue. I know that there are main genetic differences and that account for it, but never really thought about it before. Although I hang my head in shame for confusing Gonzo and Rizzo;).

One thing I do know, besides being cleaner, is that they are much smarter. I have seen rats trained to do tricks that would put dogs to shame. I bet the IQ of the two are close. I have some fruit rats in my backyard that are out smarting my traps:D.

It's the tail that creeps most people out, that and the fact that they are crawling along the floor.:eek: I personaly like rats (when I know they are clean pets).

Laffite
10-28-2002, 03:56 PM
I think Steve Irwin would love to take part of this discussion

--Preston

RStar
10-28-2002, 05:42 PM
Perhaps I should watch his show more;) .

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the thread into a rodent genetics disscussion.

tabacco
10-28-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Laffite
I think Steve Irwin would love to take part of this discussion

Crikey!