PDA

View Full Version : What is That Shaded Place?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Jeffreaky
08-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Here's a question for the Mouse Planet faithful. I was wondering if anyone had any info on one of my favorite spots in Disneyland? It's a shaded area in between Small World and the Matterhorn. It's almost like a pier that goes out into the water. There are benches all the way down the pier. It's one of my favorite places to sit in Disneyland and enjoy the ducks and surrounding scenery. There is a turkey stand right in front of it and here are some pictures of the pier behind the turkey stand.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/3-WGFl4vA6sE2EEC-NWqsg?select=ASxoZMTbnsLBR37oCEmsVg

http://www.themouseforless.com/tripplanning/menus/dl/images/DL/Cart11Med.jpg

Now, does anyone know what this used to be? I remember seeing it in the early 70's when I was a kid. For some reason I remember tables being on the pier like maybe a restaurant used to be near it. It looks as though maybe it used to be a an entrance to a ride. The motor boats? That was before my time. If anyone has any info I'd love to hear about it. If you haven't been there, be sure to go down there and sit. There are usually baby ducks in the water too.

MickeyM00C0w
08-06-2008, 11:57 PM
The only thing that location has ever been used for (attraction wise) has been for the Motorboat Cruise. Apparently, when plans for Mickey's Toontown were created, they needed to allocate more operating costs to it, so they cut out the boats and took the spending over to Toontown.

Jeffreaky
08-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Thanks, I kinda figured it might have been for the motor boats. I guess my tables memory was way off! I'll have to go and look at the old pictures of the Motor Boat ride. You rock!

Thanks for replying to a newbie.

P.S. I guess the motor boats were not before my time.

oregontraveler
08-07-2008, 03:35 AM
It's now known as Fastasia Gardens, the back half of it is a smoking area.

Jeffreaky
08-07-2008, 07:47 AM
Thanks! Yeah, after I found out that it was the Motor Boat entrance I did some research and found some good info on it here.

http://davelandweb.com/motorboatcruise/

http://davelandweb.com/motorboatcruise/images/60s/KTPBKYC_1_64_N01R.jpg

Yes I did find that it is Fantasia Gardens and the Smoking area. Too bad it's the smoking area I can't believe that no one has ever been smoking while I've sat there and I've sat there a lot! I hope I don't run into the smokers, nothing worse!

If you don't know about this area, read his info on this area of the park, it's pretty interesting what they planned to do with this area and the fact that they have never done anything with this area after the Motor Boats.

TTFN92
08-07-2008, 08:24 AM
My sister talks about how she completely believed that she was driving the boat. She remembers riding it with our grandpa and he would just smile at her because she was having so much fun. I only remember going on them once, and I only remember it vaguely. I was surprised to see that it was there until '93 because I was already married by then, so that means that they were running my entire childhood. I wonder why I didn't ride them as much as my sister? Maybe because I'm the youngest, by a lot, and my family had moved onto different rides by then. That's what happens. Oh, well.

I do have to say that I hope they end up doing something really great with that space. Something in the water would be great. I'd hate for them to cover that space up with concrete. Maybe an Aquatopia like in Tokyo?

Jeffreaky
08-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Yeah, that's totally weird they were running my entire childhood also. I wasn't a Disneyland freak like I am now but I never noticed them back then.

Bytebear
08-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Hey, I just had a thought. Why don't they install one of those octopus rides themed after Ursula. But it could be built right over the water there for extra thrills.

cstephens
08-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Except that it's a smoking location, I like that there's no attraction there. It's a pretty, serene place to sit and take a breather, have a snack, sit and chat and spend time with family and friends. There aren't very many of those kinds of places in the park, which is fine, but I like having at least a few.

Bytebear
08-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Except that it's a smoking location, I like that there's no attraction there. It's a pretty, serene place to sit and take a breather, have a snack, sit and chat and spend time with family and friends. There aren't very many of those kinds of places in the park, which is fine, but I like having at least a few.

I don't smoke, so I don't care, and now that Nemo has settled down, they can move the smoking section back to under the Monorail. Lately, I have seen a lot of smokers all over the park anyway, so they aren't following the rules anyway. Why not use it as a queue for a new fun ride?

foolishmortal
08-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Bytebear Like the Ursala ride Idea!

I remeber the boats, I like them when I was little.

cstephens
08-11-2008, 10:39 AM
I don't smoke, so I don't care, and now that Nemo has settled down, they can move the smoking section back to under the Monorail. Lately, I have seen a lot of smokers all over the park anyway, so they aren't following the rules anyway. Why not use it as a queue for a new fun ride?

You mis-read my post. I said I like the area, except for that it's now a designated smoking area. I didn't say that since it's a smoking area, you therefore can't put a ride there. I prefer not to have a ride there as I like the serene location as it is now.

Bolivar
08-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Smokers are addicited and many feel a sense of entitlement about their smoking. If you don't provide a convienent and nice place for the smokers, they will smoke where they aren't supposed to. If Fantacia Gardens keeps them convinded to that location, then I say keep it the smoker's ghetto. I didn't like the smoking under the Monorail because it was too close to the Matterhorn line and a place to walk through while going to Tomorrowland. But, if cutting out that space for smokers means that they are smoking all over the park then bring that back too.

Bytebear
08-11-2008, 01:15 PM
You mis-read my post. I said I like the area, except for that it's now a designated smoking area. I didn't say that since it's a smoking area, you therefore can't put a ride there. I prefer not to have a ride there as I like the serene location as it is now.

Ah, ok. I thought that because it was a smoking area it had some special protections, but as I said if they move the smoking section back to where it was (which is more convenient for smokers anyway, and have the queue only take up the left side of the pier, then you could still have a relaxing place to sit, but I really think the Ursula's Tentacle Tickle(TM) is a great idea, and the location is perfect.

Malcon10t
08-11-2008, 09:43 PM
The Fantasia Gardens are nice. Last time, we found Peter Pan there!

Jeffreaky
08-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Yeah, that is my fave spot to sit. The strange part is I haven't encountered any smokers there. I wonder if they have any idea that it's a smoking spot? I never did.

Have a lot of you been bothered by smokers at Fantasia Gardens?

I'm totally jinxing it right now. With my luck all all the smokers will be there when I go in November!

backsthepack
08-12-2008, 05:49 AM
Not all of us smokers are rude enough to walk around smoking. I hate when the smoking population gets attacked!!!;)

It is a beautiful area. I wish my son could see/ride those boats.

I don't smoke in that area, usually too many non smokers over there. The only place I use (most of the time) while at Disneyland is that one that is tucked behind Thunder Mountain. I believe it is still a tad bit too close to the walkway, but it is still better than smoking where kids (and non smokers) are. We have a son. He is old enough that while we take a short smoke break he can go pet the animals at the rodea place...the name is escaping me at this point, or something and stay within our sights.

I agree that you have to offer places because not all of us use common sense. We just took our kid to Legoland....no smoking. Simple. We didn't smoke that day. But I did notice people smoking. No kidding. It really ticked me off.

oregontraveler
08-12-2008, 06:45 AM
Have a lot of you been bothered by smokers at Fantasia Gardens?

Not really, because it is the back half of the dock, the smoke doesn't bother me. Whenever I take pictures back there, its kind of a shoot and run type of thing. I already know where the best angles are (for me at least) This is one of the best quiet corners in the park . I wish they would open up the old
Fantasyland skyway station, another great photo-op.

Jeffreaky
08-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Well backsthepack, I applaud you for following the smoking rules. I wish there were more people who did.

MLSfan
08-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Not really, because it is the back half of the dock, the smoke doesn't bother me. Whenever I take pictures back there, its kind of a shoot and run type of thing. I already know where the best angles are (for me at least) This is one of the best quiet corners in the park . I wish they would open up the old
Fantasyland skyway station, another great photo-op.

I like the old skyway station area. I try to sneak back there to take pics behind the food carts when noone is looking. All the overgrown plants and trees are cool, and it still looks like they somewhat keep it clean back there.

EeyoreGirl
08-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Fantasia Gardens is a great place to take a break. Ds 3 loves looking at the ducks that are often swimming around. I don't think we've ever encountered smokers while there.

MickeyM00C0w
08-12-2008, 01:17 PM
I like the old skyway station area. I try to sneak back there to take pics behind the food carts when noone is looking. All the overgrown plants and trees are cool, and it still looks like they somewhat keep it clean back there.

That's because it is used quite often by Fantasyland CMs for special events, like when management decides to randomly treat us to food. :D

MLSfan
08-12-2008, 02:13 PM
That's because it is used quite often by Fantasyland CMs for special events, like when management decides to randomly treat us to food. :D

That explains everything...Free food is always a good thing too.

Leofoenget
08-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Here's a question for the Mouse Planet faithful. I was wondering if anyone had any info on one of my favorite spots in Disneyland? It's a shaded area in between Small World and the Matterhorn. It's almost like a pier that goes out into the water. There are benches all the way down the pier. It's one of my favorite places to sit in Disneyland and enjoy the ducks and surrounding scenery. There is a turkey stand right in front of it and here are some pictures of the pier behind the turkey stand.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/3-WGFl4vA6sE2EEC-NWqsg?select=ASxoZMTbnsLBR37oCEmsVg

http://www.themouseforless.com/tripplanning/menus/dl/images/DL/Cart11Med.jpg

Now, does anyone know what this used to be? I remember seeing it in the early 70's when I was a kid. For some reason I remember tables being on the pier like maybe a restaurant used to be near it. It looks as though maybe it used to be a an entrance to a ride. The motor boats? That was before my time. If anyone has any info I'd love to hear about it. If you haven't been there, be sure to go down there and sit. There are usually baby ducks in the water too.

My favorite place to sit and eat lunch, is now the new smoking area. hack hack. Now I will eat my lunch at the hungry bear, my second favorite place to eat.

Leofoenget
08-12-2008, 04:54 PM

If I were in charge, Disneyland would be 100% SMOKE FREE. Walt died of lung cancer,nothing good can come of smoking.