PDA

View Full Version : Silhouette prices up?

D15
08-06-2008, 10:37 PM
From Monday's park update...

...Ticket and food prices are not the only thing going up at the Disneyland Resort. The cost of a silhouettes went up by $2 or more depending on style, and the frames are slightly more expensive as well.
Am I totally out of the loop... "style"? Could anybody clarify/explain?

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-06-2008, 11:03 PM
They have ones that you can have a character added to. I think that is what they mean about styles.

D15
08-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Ah, ok, gotcha. Thanks!

stan4d_steph
08-07-2008, 12:21 AM
They have ones that you can have a character added to. I think that is what they mean about styles.Yes, and also you can have one done of multiple people I think.

cheshirecatgirl
08-07-2008, 03:51 AM
Where can you get silhouettes? Is there a place outside of the parks?

MLSfan
08-07-2008, 07:03 AM
You can get them in a little shop on Main St. There is a woman who has been there for some 30 years and she cuts them out. Pretty cool to watch her, and shes good. She told me that she just stared practicing freehand... really an art in it self.

MammaSilva
08-07-2008, 07:07 AM
Actually, you've been able to have characters and multiple faces in them for a while, the new styles are the mini sillouettes and frames we saw on our last trip. I didn't ask the price but they were adorable

MickeyM00C0w
08-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Actually, you've been able to have characters and multiple faces in them for a while, the new styles are the mini sillouettes and frames we saw on our last trip. I didn't ask the price but they were adorable

Those mini silhouettes sound so adorable! I'm going to DLR in a few hours as a guest, so I'll check out the price and post it later. It actually sounds like it would be a good idea to get those done of me and my cousins for my grandmother (she has full sized ones of us from like 10 years ago).

D15
08-07-2008, 10:20 AM

Really, you can't do multiple people in the same one any more? Bummer, I guess our last one was last September then :( It was fun to line them up on the mantle and see how everyone had changed!

And though I have no idea what they are, the mini-silhouettes sound so cute!! I'll have to check them out next time :) Thanks!

MammaSilva
08-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Actually you Still can get multiple faces, sorry for the confusion, but I've had mutliple faces and characters done with my kids for the last several years. I had ones done with the gold paper for the 50th and just this last trip had two faces done in one as did the other couple that was with us on the trip. The only changes I'm aware of is the price increase and the addition of the minitures. We had the pleasure of talking to Sylvia who has been doing these for 30 years and she said the mintures were a result of seeing the new frames in the China shoppe and thinking they were really cute so they tried a few and ta da, a new option is available.

jcatron243
08-07-2008, 04:15 PM
How long do the silhouettes take? What is the general price range?

MammaSilva
08-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Actual cutting time is FAST...less than a couple minutes per face, then she hands off the cut out to another CM who glues it to the backing mat...you get two copies of it for the price you pay, our trip was right after the price increase so we paid $9.00 per face (or character I 'think' but won't say 100 percent that price for characters is accurate) ....so if you have 2 people it's 18.00 plus tax and they are not eligible for discounts on the silhouette but you can get a discount on the frames if you purchase over $10.00 and have a premium pass.

D15
08-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Actually you Still can get multiple faces, sorry for the confusion, but I've had mutliple faces and characters done with my kids for the last several years. I had ones done with the gold paper for the 50th and just this last trip had two faces done in one as did the other couple that was with us on the trip. The only changes I'm aware of is the price increase and the addition of the minitures. We had the pleasure of talking to Sylvia who has been doing these for 30 years and she said the mintures were a result of seeing the new frames in the China shoppe and thinking they were really cute so they tried a few and ta da, a new option is available.

Super! No problem, thanks for the clarification :) And I'm pretty sure it was Sylvia who did our last set in Sept- she was absolutely amazing! I'm still gonna be on the lookout for the mini-silo's, I bet some of the little ones we're taking would love them :D

shna
08-08-2008, 03:54 PM
I looked last night at the silhouettes of DD we got in February 2007 & got a little misty-eyed. I think I'm going to have to take her again to have them done in a couple of weeks. It really is a remarkable & fairly inexpensive souvenir. The fact that you get two copies of the silhouette makes it even more of a bargain, IMO.

Matterhorn Yodeler
08-08-2008, 04:28 PM
I sat for a silhouette with my guide dog puppy-in-training, Tulley, while we were there in June. It was fairly late at night. If the girl cutting the silhouettes has been doing it for thirty years, she started when she was negative three!!!:D

Can't say that either of our profiles is very accurate, but it is a lovely keepsake of our day and looks great and "antique" in its oval frame.

By the way, you do get two silhouette cut-outs, mirror opposites of each other.

AVP
08-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Just checked the prices:

Silhouettes are now $9 per person or character, large or small . You can do up to 2 people or characters in the small format and up to 5 in the large (but they suggest no more than 4).

Large frames are $10.95, small frames are $6.95.

AVP