PDA

View Full Version : Why do they have a pirates show in Buena Park and not in Disney?

Pages : [1] 2

Westcotx2012
08-06-2008, 07:52 PM
I was recently in buena park and found out they have a pirates show can someone please explain and why isnt this show in DLR

adikted2disney
08-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Are you talking about the one next to the Medieval Times dinner theatre? Those are not affiliated with Disney.

cstephens
08-06-2008, 08:14 PM
I was recently in buena park and found out they have a pirates show can someone please explain and why isnt this show in DLR

Because Disney doesn't own the concept of pirates. And there's enough pirate stuff going on at Disneyland as it is.

adriennek
08-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Because Disney doesn't own the copyright or trademark everything related to pirates and someone in Buena Park wants to make money off of pirates.

There's a plenty of Pirates of the Caribbean related attractions and street entertainment inside Disneyland, but thankfully there's other stuff there, too.

Adrienne

adriennek
08-06-2008, 08:16 PM
cstephens, does that count as a 'jinx'? I think it should.

Adrienne

cstephens
08-06-2008, 08:19 PM
cstephens, does that count as a 'jinx'? I think it should.

Isn't that the second time today? Was that other time today? Or yesterday? In any case, GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!! ;)

adriennek
08-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Isn't that the second time today? Was that other time today? Or yesterday? In any case, GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!! ;)

Fine, I'll just go back to Malcon10t's head for awhile. BE that way...

Adrienne

dawnid
08-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Everyone has jumped on the pirate bandwagon. The City of Bellflower just opened a little pocket park called "pirate park" off of Bellflower Blvd.

Bytebear
08-07-2008, 09:01 AM
It goes a lot further back than the recent Pirate trend. Here's the quick history lesson. Buena Park was a sleepy farm community, but Water Knott's wife started selling pies and since he invented the Boysenberry, the pies with the new berry really took off. Soon, she built a fried chicken stand, and then a restaurant. Meanwhile Mr. Knott was really into trains, so he built a train track around the property, and an old West town. And with that, the "theme park" was born. Well, he added a few other attractions, including the Calico Mine ride. Well, pretty soon this area became a bit of a tourist attraction, and other shops and themed entertainment started popping up in the area including a rather large endeavor put together by Walt Disney ;). There was a wax museum, a Buffalo Bill Wild West show, a Medieval jousting tournament, and other various entertainment outfits. Well, most of them are gone now, but Medieval Times still stands, The Hollywood Wax Museum closed a couple years ago, and the Pirate show sprung up with the pirate craze. But that is why Buena Park has a pirate show. It was the first tourist center outside of Hollywood, and its legacy lives on, really thanks to Walter Knott and his wife's pies.

cstephens
08-07-2008, 10:42 AM
The Hollywood Wax Museum closed a couple years ago, and the Pirate show sprung up with the pirate craze. But that is why Buena Park has a pirate show.

The company that runs the pirate show also has a similar one in Orlando, I think. That's where it originated. This version is mostly a copy, from what I've read.

Jodi
08-07-2008, 09:27 PM
I haven't been to the Pirate Dinner show myself, but everyone I've spoken to that has been has had pretty negative things to say about it. Anything ranging from "kinda cheesy" to "So horrible I wanted my money back"

IF Disney wanted to do something like it, I'm sure they could do better.

Malcon10t
08-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Fine, I'll just go back to Malcon10t's head for awhile. BE that way...

AdrienneMan it's busy in here!

adriennek
08-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Man it's busy in here!

Drink your tea. It's soothing.

Adrienne

Bytebear
08-08-2008, 09:03 AM
I would actually love for Downtown Disney to be extended to the Mickey and Friends Parking area and add a few theaters, but rather than a pirate show, I would love to see a custom themed Cirque du Soleil like they have in Florida.

cstephens
08-08-2008, 09:32 AM
I would actually love for Downtown Disney to be extended to the Mickey and Friends Parking area and add a few theaters, but rather than a pirate show, I would love to see a custom themed Cirque du Soleil like they have in Florida.

Oh, please, not yet another Cirque location. They've proliferated like cockroaches.

I've heard pretty bad things about the Pirates Dinner Adventure, that it's worse than Medieval Times. The husband was interested when they were first announced to be opening here and threatened that we'd have to go, but so far, he hasn't made good on that threat.

MammaSilva
08-08-2008, 10:26 AM
We did the Pirate Adventure over Spring Break to celebrate my nieces 16th (she's HUGE into all things Pirate thanks to Orlando and Johnny).

Here's what we experienced....the pre show was pretty lame. They ask for volunteers out of the audience and do a few songs/routines while they get everyone inside. There are 'all you can eat snacks and a cash bar, then they lead you to your seat by 'color' sections...then it's ON...you've already 'met' your Pirate at the pre show then once everyone is seated they ask for volunteers for different parts of the show. My niece got picked but I think it's because I paid the extra for her name to be announced for her birthday...

The show was cute enough but not enough to get me to fork out that cash again. The food was 'eh' as well but not awful. Drink wise none of the people in my group wanted alcohol but the two that didn't drink diet had a hard time getting a refill.

Bottom line, if not for my niece I doubt we'd have gone, but we did and have NO desire to go again.

Bytebear
08-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Oh, please, not yet another Cirque location. They've proliferated like cockroaches.

I've heard pretty bad things about the Pirates Dinner Adventure, that it's worse than Medieval Times. The husband was interested when they were first announced to be opening here and threatened that we'd have to go, but so far, he hasn't made good on that threat.

Come on, Cirque has proliferated Las Vegas, true, but there is no permanent show in California at all.

cstephens
08-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Come on, Cirque has proliferated Las Vegas, true, but there is no permanent show in California at all.

They don't need a permanent show - there always seems to be a touring one every couple months in either Los Angeles or Orange County.

And I know it's very popular - which means they're going to need boatloads of more parking to accommodate. I'd rather not have to fight them.

Bytebear
08-08-2008, 02:15 PM
They don't need a permanent show - there always seems to be a touring one every couple months in either Los Angeles or Orange County.

And I know it's very popular - which means they're going to need boatloads of more parking to accommodate. I'd rather not have to fight them.

Try every couple of years. Cirque was last in LA n 2006. But, why not an opera house or performing art center? I would love to see a Broadway caliber theater showing The Lion King or other Disney musical. As for parking, they should add a couple more parking structures, and maybe if the show is as popular as you say it will be, they will use that extra cash to extend the monorail to the parking structures, while at the same time get them to work correctly.

Malcon10t
08-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Drink your tea. It's soothing.

AdrienneTea is good.

And they have a pirate show in Disneyland, on Pirates Lair.

:::sipping:::

adriennek
08-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Tea is good.

And they have a pirate show in Disneyland, on Pirates Lair.

:::sipping:::

I'm really tempted to change the title of the thread. (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/blog.php?b=199) I'm assuming from the forum that the OP meant DisneyLAND. ;)

Adrienne

Another Dimension
08-09-2008, 01:49 PM
I didn't think Disney could produce a live show as unbelievably bad as that Pirates Dinner Show in Buena Park.

But then I remembered Steps in Time II at DCA.

:eek:

Cirque was last in LA n 2006.

There was some Cirque show being performed inside some funny shaped, yellow & red striped tents in part of the LA Forum parking lot in February '08.

DL Mama
08-12-2008, 10:21 AM

There is Cirque de la Mer at SeaWorld. We saw it in June. It was a lovely show...just not Disney!

cstephens
08-12-2008, 10:36 AM
There is Cirque de la Mer at SeaWorld. We saw it in June. It was a lovely show...just not Disney!

But that's not done by the Cirque du Soleil group.

Sheila
08-12-2008, 11:07 AM
But that's not done by the Cirque du Soleil group.

Yeah, I've seen it too. Sort of a mini-Cirque (but not really). They had the usual strongmen duo act, some trapeze artists and that's about it. However, I will admit that it was an entertaining enough show for a theme park </Simon Cowell>.