PDA

View Full Version : Pizza at Naples

jslivinski
10-25-2002, 01:37 PM
In the Laughingplace photo update today it showed a sign for a slice of pizza and soda for $5.00 at Naples. Does anybody know if this was a one time special for the Angels Rally or if this is a daily thing.

Thanks.

2nd picture from the bottom (http://www.laughingplace.com/News-PID506520-506524.asp)

zapppop
10-25-2002, 01:48 PM
daily

Techie7
10-25-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
daily

I can confirm. There is a takeout window just to the left of the entrance. It is one of the better deals in the resort (much cheaper then Pizza Port). I was pleased with the pizza and that deal is the only way I will eat at the restauraunt now.

innerSpaceman
10-25-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Techie7
that deal is the only way I will eat at the restauraunt now.
Ditto for me. My only dining experience in the restaurant was one of the worst I have ever had, but I have taken advantage of the pizza window deal a few times and have been very satisfied with the price, fairly satisfied with the (fairly greasy) pizza.

driftwood714
10-25-2002, 06:50 PM
Is the pizza good? How does it taste?
Do you get a soda and pizza for 5 bux only? :) Sounds like a good deal.

HBTiggerFan
10-25-2002, 07:14 PM
What kind of pizza do they offer at the take-out window?

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
10-25-2002, 10:25 PM
It depends on when you go and what they have. I have eaten there a few times and while good - the pizza is rather thin and shouldn't be considered a 'meal' as it is just one slice.

One time I went around 10PM on a weeknight and they just had one cheese pizza and as soon as the last piece was sold - the pizza window closed up for the night. I have also seen supreme type and pepperoni.

bluepearl
10-25-2002, 11:39 PM
Um...also think about the time the pizza was made. Overall, I've had more positive experiences with their pizza than negative. However, there have been times when the pizza's been under the lamps for a good while, and the crust is already hard to chew. :shrug: But lately I've been able to get there pretty early to catch the first pizzas to come out of the oven, so it's been good. But just to ditto on innerSpaceman's post, it can be considerably greasy at times.

Alex S.
10-26-2002, 08:56 AM
The food is decent at Naples, but we've only had disappointing experiences there.

One time we were seated near the kitchen/prep area and got to see TOO MUCH of the back stage stuff.

Like a waitress throwing bread at another employee (which then went in the trash; the bread, not the employee). Or a bread basket being taken from a table (after those diners left) and then being redistributed to a new table.

The latter got a member of our party to speak to the manager.

Frankly, the quality of full service dining is not that good at the resort. We haven't yet eaten at Napa Rose, but service is just meciocre throughout the resort. This was brought home last weekend when Lani and I ate at Hook's Pointe and the service and menu was just a shadow of what it was three years ago. And yet it was the best meal and best service we've had at the Resort in a VERY long time.

EandCDad
10-26-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
It depends on when you go and what they have. I have eaten there a few times and while good - the pizza is rather thin and shouldn't be considered a 'meal' as it is just one slice.

This reminds me of a story attributed to Yogi Berra. He orders a pizza and is asked if he wants it cut into 4 or 8 slices. He says "better make it 4, I don't think I could eat 8." Just cause the pizza is one slice, doesn't mean it can't be a meal, if the size of the slice is large enough. For example, the Pizza Port slices are very large and fill up my kids, sometimes both of them with one slice.

Sonya in Boise
10-26-2002, 08:35 PM
We were there a week ago (sigh....has it already been a week) and I loved this pizza. I just had a slice of pizza at Costco today and I was totally missing Naples.

The veggie pizza was soooooo yummy. It had thinly sliced purple onions that made it great, and I don't like onions. It was a thin crust pizza with just the right amount of sauce and cheese for me. I could have eaten more than one slice just because it was so good, but the slice did fill up the plate and with a soda, what a deal.

This pizza is on my list for my December trip as a late night snack on the way out of the parks and it's not too far into DD to be out of the way.

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
10-27-2002, 07:20 AM
This pizza is on my list for my December trip as a late night snack

My thoughts exactly - I would consider the bread bowl salad/soup a meal - the Naples thin slice of pizza a snack :-)

And no I'm not 300 pounds - but let's be realistic. Who orders pizza and eats one slice? And by who I mean the readers of this board not their children.

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
10-27-2002, 07:39 AM
Ok I'm not done yet.... Is it the price that's so amazing? This snack is 'ok' but by all means not the best deal around. Naples is raking in on this one - 8 slices of pizza at $5.00 a pop? Each pizza at the take out window (sans 8 cheap sodas in uninspiring plain unmarked cups) generates $40.00 in a matter of minutes with no servers, busers, dish washers or hosts to figure in the cost of food sold.

The fact this window is so popular is testament to how expensive it is to eat at Downtown Disney.

Best deal still.. :-) is shared apple/chicken bread bowl salad at Boudin Bakery in DCA with AP discount and 2 waters with lemon (about $4.00 a person and very filling).

My 4 rules for eating responsibly at the DLR:

1) eat something at home before you leave
2) choose a location that offers an AP discount
3) split and share
4) always order and drink ice water with plenty of lemon (lemon nicely masks the Anaheim tap)

EandCDad
10-27-2002, 08:02 AM

And no I'm not 300 pounds - but let's be realistic. Who orders pizza and eats one slice? And by who I mean the readers of this board not their children.

Downtown Disney, like the whole resort, is overpriced. Most of these comments about "a good value" should be taken in context of the resort as a whole and not in comparison to places outside the resort.

I haven't seen the Naples slices, so I'm not arguing that they can be a meal to an adult. My point is, that one slice of pizza at Pizza Port CAN be a meal to SOME adults because its a pretty large slice, so the fact that its only one slice, while not exactly irrelevant does not on its face make it not big enough for a meal. They could cut, for example, the Pizza Port slices into two and they would still be bigger than most slices you get delivered at home. So, is there more because I now have TWO slices, no, of course not.

Again, the Naples slices may not be that big and therefore, probably wouldn't be a meal, so I'm really not trying to make that point. In some cases, its perspective. I'd have a hard time getting filled up on half a salad and water, I'd probably prefer the pizza. Or I might wait and stop at In-N-Out and get really filled up for $4.20.

I guess that Yogi Berra comment wasn't as funny as I thought. ;)

MouseWife
10-27-2002, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by EandCDad

I guess that Yogi Berra comment wasn't as funny as I thought. ;)

Oh, I think it was funny. :)

Hey, I have kids. I measure by a total size and they measure by pieces. It too me a long time to explain to them that his two pieces equal your one piece. Siblings. :rolleyes:

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
10-27-2002, 10:12 PM
Regarding DCA Boudini salad/bread bowls ....It takes a while to consume 1/2 of the huge bread bowls ... I would imagine if one could not be filled by that then they haven't tried it

Pizza Port pizza is very thick - prob triple the mass of one Naples slice - of course if one has never tried that either.... then it's hard to say... well apparently not for some people.

These are my favorite posts:

"Yeah we should have gotten Disney Sea - it's WAY better than DCA" (the person having never been there)

HBTiggerFan
10-28-2002, 12:30 AM
I am an adult. I can eat one slice of Pizza Port and it will fill me up. I can eat one slice of Napels and be nicely filled. I think the Napels take-out window is a good deal for DTD. It is not the best deal in the resort but it is cheap for the resort.

A bread bowl salad at Bodin is close to $10 w/o tax or drink. I have an extremely hard time justifing a salad for $10, or a soup/salad in DL for the same price.

MonorailMan
10-28-2002, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
I am an adult. I can eat one slice of Pizza Port and it will fill me up.

I am a teenager. I can eat 4 slices of Pizza at RRPP to fill me up. :D

Our family tryed the Napels special, but all we thought was, eh. It wasn't as good as RRPP. :)

EandCDad
10-28-2002, 06:49 AM
Regarding DCA Boudini salad/bread bowls ....It takes a while to consume 1/2 of the huge bread bowls ... I would imagine if one could not be filled by that then they haven't tried it

Pizza Port pizza is very thick - prob triple the mass of one Naples slice - of course if one has never tried that either.... then it's hard to say... well apparently not for some people.

These are my favorite posts:

"Yeah we should have gotten Disney Sea - it's WAY better than DCA" (the person having never been there)

Since you missed the point of my post, twice, I probably shouldn't bother stating it again, but I do recognize that since I haven't eaten Naples pizza (which I noted), I can't disagree with anyone who says its not really a meal. That's why I haven't disagreed with it. I'm certainly open to the idea that it may not be.

I'm REALLY starting to think that Yogi Berra story wasn't as unusual and funny as I first thought.

Alex S.
10-28-2002, 07:53 AM
I doubt anybody is saying "wow, a whole slice and a drink! I won't have to again all day!" but if you don't consider a "meal" to be a minimum of 1,000 calories, I know many people who would consider this offer from Naples (and I have had their pizza) to be a reasonable option for a light lunch.

By weight, I would probably consider the chicken penne pesto at Plaza Inn to be the best deal and most filling meal I enjoy at the park. But sometimes I'm not in the mood for the 5-pound lunch.

I used to work next to an Escape From New York Pizza in San Francisco. A very common lunch for me was a single slice of cheese pizza and a soda. Yes, the slices were bigger than Naples, but I had lunch many times with coworkers who didn't even eat their entire slices.

By weight, the best deal for me in the park is the chicken penne pesto at Plaza Inn. But sometimes I don't want a 5-pound, 8,000 calorie lunch.

Sonya in Boise
10-28-2002, 08:07 AM
Price, Pizza slice size, best deal.......all of these things are relevant to the person buying/eating the meal.

Is the pizza at Naples a meal? Depends on the person. Is it the "best deal"? Again, depends on the person.

I bought my daughter many different kids meals in the park, all of which she did not eat. I bought her a 5.00 pizza slice and a soda. She ate most of the pizza and asked if we could come back later for Dinner. Did that make it the best deal for me? Yes, because she ate this one and I thru the other kids meals in the trash not even touched.

Is the pizza in the resturant the same as what is served at the take out window? I would like to buy an entire pizza and take it back to the hotel to leave in the fridge and reheat as we want rather than relying on the take out window.

HBTiggerFan
10-28-2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
I am a teenager. I can eat 4 slices of Pizza at RRPP to fill me up. :D

Your a growing guy too! ;)

EandC,
The Yogi Berra joke was funny :)

jslivinski
10-29-2002, 11:02 AM
Yowwee, 21 replies, I was only expecting a couple. Looks like I'll need to start reading.

10 minutes later...

All replies read. Thank you.