PDA

View Full Version : International View of Disneyland & Other Parks

mstaft
08-06-2008, 08:04 AM
As I was posting today about a great international site with lots of articles and concept art about all the worldwide Disney parks, I started wondering what the perceptions were overseas from folks whether they had visited or not. So, I guess this is a "call around the world" to give input about perceptions and views on the various Disney "worlds". Thought I'd post on the DL boards, as it is the one that started it all. Any international members care to respond?

Mark

mstaft
08-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Well, I now have more time and can respond to my own question. Our friends from Wales have been to DLP (post WDSP, pre ToT), WDW (pre DAK), and DL (post DCA). Their thoughts are in this vein: DL is small and not very pretty. Rides are the same as in Florida. DCA looks like a fairground midway. (Florida was their first Disney park.) DLP is very pretty, not impressed with the Studios. WDW is the best of the bunch, alot of variety, a grand scale, and lots of recreational options.

soccerlady16
08-06-2008, 10:21 PM
I started wondering what the perceptions were overseas from folks whether they had visited or not.

Mark

I was just wondering the same thing last week!

TTFN92
08-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Well, I now have more time and can respond to my own question. Our friends from Wales have been to DLP (post WDSP, pre ToT), WDW (pre DAK), and DL (post DCA). Their thoughts are in this vein: DL is small and not very pretty. Rides are the same as in Florida. DCA looks like a fairground midway. (Florida was their first Disney park.) DLP is very pretty, not impressed with the Studios. WDW is the best of the bunch, alot of variety, a grand scale, and lots of recreational options.

That is interesting. I'm not from another country, but after having been to WDW I definitely would NOT say that the rides are the same as DL. Even the same rides aren't the same. I also had the opinion that the MK at WDW wasn't as pretty as DL. I didn't think there was as much vegetation and the trees were smaller. I even commented to DH about it. I do have to agree that DCA isn't very pretty. Hopefully that will all change with the new stuff that's coming.

The other day I decided to look at the DLHK and DLP websites to see what they had. I was NOT impressed with DLHK. I don't know why anyone would go there, unless you lived there. But DLP looked so beautiful! I would love to someday go on a trip there :). I would love to hear if others have visited. We compare WDW and DL so much but never (rarely) hear about the other parks.

mstaft
08-07-2008, 05:38 PM
I have not been to the Asian parks, but my wife and I have been to DLP twice. It is absolutely beautiful- and the major attractions have entirely new designed interiors. Their Frontierland is a masterpiece. I have lots of DLP trip photos on my blog, if you are curious-

Do make a trip one day- and Paris is a most beautiful and "magical" city all its own.

inchie317
08-07-2008, 06:30 PM
I just got back from Paris where I did sneak away from the tour I was on to hit DL Paris for the day. It is very pretty, clean and lush. The lands are secluded from each other I thought, with more walls and trees separating them. POTC was quite different, especially the very long cue area down into the ride. You seem to go "up" rather than dropping down as at DL Cal.
The Aerosmith "Rockin Rollercoaster" is perhaps the best coaster I have ever been on! The line was too long for me to try the new Nemo roller coaster ride. Looked very cool. Haunted Mansion in French was very fun.
ThunderMtn. was probably a tad better in Paris, longer, more going on.
Not hearing English at all was kinda nice, adding to the magic.
The RER (fast train) took me from the center of Paris to basically the front gate of DLP in about 45 minutes. Very easy!
I actually visited the Musee' D'orsay for an hour , went to DLParis until 5:30, train back to Notre Dame by 6:30, and dinner in the Latin Quarter at 7pm, drank champagne with my tour group under the Eifel Tower until about 11pm, train back to our beautiful hotel in Versailles at midnight. (JUST ONE DAY IN PARIS!)
DLand Cal. is still the best overall of the 3 I have been to.

Cheers,

Plutocracy

Bytebear
08-08-2008, 09:20 AM
We have friends from England who come over about every other year, and Disneyland is always on their must-do list. The first year they came was right before the 50th celebration, so the castle was a big box of tarp. That kinda bummed them out, but otherwise they loved it. I think the characters really made it for them. Having a hug from Minnie really does something to the soul. I think they felt like everyone in England goes to DLP or WDW, so they felt kinda special going to the origianl park, and seeing the actualy apartment of Walt Disney himself!

The Red Head
08-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Well I am from the US, California to be exact, so I grew up with the original. I don't think it is fair to compare the properties because they are all so different. When I talk to people I tend to compare just the "Disneyland" parks, because that is the only really fair comparison. Nothing has the feel as the original Disneyland in CA. I am not fond of WDW's MK, it is too spread out. DLP is a gorgeous park, and the technoloy is newer so some of the attractions are better, but the CM's need a lesson in customer service. TDL is a lot like WDW, with the exception of a few rides, like Pooh, but they have great customer service.

If I include the other parks. Disney Seas is great. Paris' studios is not so much, although the Rock n Roller coaster is better that MGMs and the stunt show was pretty cool. I like walking around Epcot, and they have great places to eat. Actually, WDW has the best restaurants. MGM is fun. I don't have major complaints about DCA like some people do, but I don't consider it an all day park. Since I get into it with my pass, I just go over there and go on a few rides when I am at Disneyland. The Paris Studios park entrance is very close to the Disneyland entrance too, not as close as DCA, but similar. WDW is the only place where the parks and hotels are really that spread out from each other.
I have not been to Hong Kong yet, so I cannot comment on that one.

emmah
08-08-2008, 06:48 PM
I'm a New Zealander, now living in Australia. We grew up with Wonderful World of Disney on our (one) TV channel on Sunday nights so Disneyland was our dream. We went there for my tenth birthday and it was a dream come true - we stayed in the disneyland hotel (back when the monorail went into the hotel) and it was just amazing. So for me, Disneyland is 'home' and makes me very happy; I usually get to visit once a year/18 months on a stop over on the way back from europe. This January DH and I went to Orlando for the first time - ten days at the Wilderness Lodge - we had the best time, it was just fabulous. the MK is gorgeous and happy-making AND (not but) on the way back home I stopped in LA on my own and had the weekend to do some shopping and visit DLR. Walking up Main Street DL just filled me with joy in a way that WDW didn't. Even though its smaller and the CMs were not so friendly, to me, DLR is filled with childhood memories - it just makes me smile thinking about it. This summer (your winter), we are back in Europe, and I worked out last month that I have 3 days to myself between obligations and I have booked myself into the disneyland hotel at the resort in Paris and am going to spend a few days checking out disney european style. I do love being able to stay 'in' the disney world and can never really justify this to myself at DLR because the resort hotels are just so overpriced - compared to florida and paris, this is even more apparent - we got an AP rate at the WL that was less than half the rate at the GCH, and for my stop in Paris I scored a free extra night and day!

anywhooo, FWIW, this australasian loves disney entertainment.