PDA

View Full Version : Costs & kinds of "Smashed Pennies" at the DLR?

KarenW2
08-04-2008, 02:12 PM
A friend recently asked me if I could get her grandson some "smashed pennies" with pictures on them from "Disneyland". Since I'm not into them, I don't know what the costs involved are, what kind of pictures are available or where the machines are located in DCA or DL.

Can someone fill me in on this?

I told her I'd post a note here and I know that somebody must know this info here, since everybody is so knowledgeable and helpful.

Many thanks in advance for your help!!:D

candles71
08-04-2008, 02:19 PM
pennies .51 cents. 2 quarters and a penny to smash. I am looking for the list online of where they are all located.

Here is a thread http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=102048&highlight=penny+machines

www.disneygallery.com to get the list ahead of time

Drince88
08-04-2008, 02:19 PM
The smashed pennies are a whopping $0.51 yep, 51 cents.
Smashed nickels are a little more (see the WallE smashed nickel thread) and I think smashed quarters are $1.25.

You are supposed to be able to get a list of machines at City Hall, but I've heard it's not always up to date.

Here's an (5 year old) article about them (http://www.mouseplanet.com/merchandise/aam030806lt.htm) There's also some links over to the side for more information, that may or may not still be working/ contain updated information.

I use an old altoid tin to carry a few pressable pennies and adequate quarters when I go to the parks. Keeps those pennies separate, and I don't have to get quarters, either.

mistofviolets
08-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Start at the little arcade in Main street...I think it's also a candy store or something?

There are TONS of machines there, and once you know what you're looking for you'll see them all over the place. There's one outside of Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, I bet he'd enjoy a few of those pennies :) There are also a few sprinkled through DCA, one in the store across from Soarin and a few hidden in the surfing store right near the entrance, across from engine ears. Oh, and I think there's one in Critter County in the Pooh store...

candles71
08-04-2008, 06:13 PM
I believe just about every store/shop has a machine. Also all three hotels, and World of Disney in DTD. Don't forget to pickup a book for him to put his pennies in.

Malcon10t
08-04-2008, 06:57 PM
We found machines in ESPN and Rainforest also. Once you figure out what the machine looks like, you find them everywhere.

Seashellmama
08-04-2008, 09:17 PM
The best lists I've found are here:

http://www.parkpennies.com/disneylandpennychecklists/disneylandchecklist.htm

KarenW2
08-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks everybody for your help so far! I've sent the links to the grandmother and she picked out the ones she wants me to get for him, so all I need to do is locate those particular machines!

MrsPooh
08-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Here's an idea, and I got it here on MP, but forgot who originally posted it.

I get the M&M mini's tubes to hold quarters and pennies. Makes it so much easier in my travel purse to hold them, and I don't have to search all over to see if we have enough change. MrPooh and Piglet both collect them, so we carry a LOT of change when we go on trips.

Malcon10t is right, once you know what those machines look like, you'll see them everywhere. Even when you're not at DL! :D

KarenW2
08-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks again for the info so far!

Does anyone have any idea how much the little books for putting the pennies in cost? Also, there was a note on one of the threads saying something about something in the make-up of the books made the pennies oxidize and change color.

Is that true? Just want to get the facts straight, before I pass it onto the grandmother.

Matterhorn Yodeler
08-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks again for the info so far!

Does anyone have any idea how much the little books for putting the pennies in cost? Also, there was a note on one of the threads saying something about something in the make-up of the books made the pennies oxidize and change color.

Is that true? Just want to get the facts straight, before I pass it onto the grandmother.

I recall seeing the books at the Little Green Men store, exiting Buzz Lightyear for $6.00 each.

Can't comment on whether the pennies change color from the book...

Malcon10t
08-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Also, there was a note on one of the threads saying something about something in the make-up of the books made the pennies oxidize and change color. OK, here is a fast and easy way to clean pennies. It sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't. First, use pennies dated 1982. Then, to clean put the pennies in a small container, sprinkle a little kitchen salt on them, the cover with white vinegar. Let sit for 20-30 minutes. Rinse with water and dry with a paper towel. Finally, use a pencil eraser and rub over it on both sides. You should have a bright shiny penny.

mistofviolets
08-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Our book has not changed the pennies colors. We aren't serious collectors, though...youngest just does it for fun.

Older pennies "work" better. They have more copper in them. But new pennies work okay, too. Dd actually likes the kind of swirly color she gets with some pennies. :)

Seashellmama
08-05-2008, 07:38 PM
I get the M&M mini's tubes to hold quarters and pennies. Makes it so much easier in my travel purse to hold them, and I don't have to search all over to see if we have enough change. MrPooh and Piglet both collect them, so we carry a LOT of change when we go on trips.

This is a good idea, and you can also use 35mm film cannisters, if you have them any more. It's especially helpful to prepack them stacked, two quarters then a penny.

JeffG
08-05-2008, 08:25 PM
I really hope that whoever came up with the idea of the smashed penny machines is now very wealthy. It is really an incredibly ingenious idea to get people to pay 50 cents (or more) for a souvenir and actually provide all the raw materials themselves. Those machines have to be as close to pure profit as you can possibly get...

-Jeff

Drince88
08-06-2008, 04:51 AM
OK, here is a fast and easy way to clean pennies. It sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't. First, use pennies dated 1982. Then, to clean put the pennies in a small container, sprinkle a little kitchen salt on them, the cover with white vinegar. Let sit for 20-30 minutes. Rinse with water and dry with a paper towel. Finally, use a pencil eraser and rub over it on both sides. You should have a bright shiny penny.
Good tip! I've used the diet coke method, but it doesn't always get them shiny, but it does clean off the gunk. I'd never thought of the pencil eraser final step, that is something I'm going to have to do.

And just for clarifcation - it's 1982 or before.

cstephens
08-06-2008, 07:49 AM
I really hope that whoever came up with the idea of the smashed penny machines is now very wealthy. It is really an incredibly ingenious idea to get people to pay 50 cents (or more) for a souvenir and actually provide all the raw materials themselves. Those machines have to be as close to pure profit as you can possibly get

Well, not necessarily - they have to pay for maintenance of the machines, which can sometimes be a pain.

But hey, at least these are motorized. There are other ones where you provide the coin that's being pressed, you have to pay a fee *AND* you have to turn the crank to make it work too!

candles71
08-06-2008, 08:38 AM
Well, not necessarily - they have to pay for maintenance of the machines, which can sometimes be a pain.

But hey, at least these are motorized. There are other ones where you provide the coin that's being pressed, you have to pay a fee *AND* you have to turn the crank to make it work too!

Hey my kiddos love turning the crank. DS collects them. But my younger girls fight over who gets to turn the crank. He has some in a book from 6 years ago (from Hawaii)and none of them have oxidized. several of the shops carry the books. DS bought the last one in the store by Winnie-the-Pooh/Splash Mountain.

Malcon10t
08-06-2008, 09:47 AM
There are other ones where you provide the coin that's being pressed, you have to pay a fee *AND* you have to turn the crank to make it work too!My nephew LOVES THOSE!! I think we had those in the Rain Forest and ESPN zone.