PDA

View Full Version : No Breakfast at Cafe Orleans?

Pages : [1] 2

Toocherie
08-04-2008, 12:22 PM
someone mentioned on another site that Disney Dining had called them and cancelled their priority seating for breakfast at Cafe Orleans in September. She thought the CM told her it would be down all month for breakfast (which would coincide with the French Market closure). I am totally bummed because I'm going mid-month with my Mom and wanted to take her there for the Creole Eggs Benedict!

Anybody know what is happening and why they are only cancelling breakfast? (Hope it's not permanent)

mohavewolfpup
08-04-2008, 01:58 PM
what's the Creole Eggs Benedict? sounds tasty

MickeyM00C0w
08-04-2008, 03:34 PM
It could just be because of the way they're doing construction. Maybe they're doing heavy duty stuff in the morning when the crowds are less and then they'll do less major work during the hot afternoon times so they don't have to sweat it out and pass out and Cafe Orleans can serve lunch. But that's just a theory, not an answer.

Darkbeer
08-04-2008, 04:50 PM
The downstairs main NOS kitchen is being TOTALLY demolished and rebuilt. Food will have to be shipped in, mainly from the Plaza Pavilion kitchen.

Since Breakfast is a bit harder to do, and it is a slow time, it is an easy decision to send the west side folks to River Belle Terrace, which has its own, newly remodeled kitchen. East side is Tomorrowland Terrace, and Main Street is Carnation Cafe and the Plaza Inn (Character Breakfast).

Gone2Disneyland
08-04-2008, 10:30 PM
what's the Creole Eggs Benedict? sounds tasty

This (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gone2disneyland/2529486293/in/set-72157600373678627/) is the Creole Eggs Benedict. And it is tasty!

Here's a wider shot of it (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gone2disneyland/2529485029/in/set-72157600373678627/).

mohavewolfpup
08-05-2008, 01:43 AM
The downstairs main NOS kitchen is being TOTALLY demolished and rebuilt. Food will have to be shipped in, mainly from the Plaza Pavilion kitchen.

lord yes it is definitely needed. I am seriously amazed the public health people have not shut down that dumpster of a kitchen. It has non stop sewer backup problems with it, a dish washing corner of it that always smells like raw sewage, etc. Normally i'm one for leaving everything as is, but that area really needs a massive overhaul to make it easier for my department to clean it and keep serving the guests above!

This (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gone2disneyland/2529486293/in/set-72157600373678627/) is the Creole Eggs Benedict. And it is tasty!

Here's a wider shot of it (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gone2disneyland/2529485029/in/set-72157600373678627/).

how much does that set you back? It looks very tasty, but food prices lately scare the dickens out of my wallet

Gone2Disneyland
08-05-2008, 06:29 AM
^ It's $9.99, according to the price list on MousePlanet's Café Orleans page (http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide.php?pg=AAG402). Add a coffee and I get to use my Premium AP 15% discount to soften the bill.

I have to admit, I felt the same sensitivity to park prices as you when I first got my AP. But over time, I've grown accustomed to what I have to pay when I look forward to enjoying breakfast at Café Orleans, River Belle Terrace or Carnation Café, when I know I'll spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 including tip on myself (I have to get Mickey Waffles or Pancakes to go with my main entree, then walk it off for the day at the park!). I often go with friends who have APs, so for the price, we get table service at CO or RBT, each other's company, and the unique experience of a relaxing, tasty breakfast inside Disneyland.

Malcon10t
08-05-2008, 07:27 AM
how much does that set you back? It looks very tasty, but food prices lately scare the dickens out of my wallet

I have found that the breakfast prices at Cafe Orleans are better than most. We love starting our morning there, watching Pirates hang out, if we get a seat on the walkway, the kidlets get to chat with one. The kids get the kids breakfasts (2, one egg, one waffle) and split with OJ and hot chocolate. I get the eggs, as do most of my "kids" which are adults, and an order of beignets to finish off. For 4 adults and 2 kids, I can generally get out at about $60, which is cheaper than Denny's.

olegc
08-05-2008, 04:12 PM
I have found that the breakfast prices at Cafe Orleans are better than most. We love starting our morning there, watching Pirates hang out, if we get a seat on the walkway, the kidlets get to chat with one. The kids get the kids breakfasts (2, one egg, one waffle) and split with OJ and hot chocolate. I get the eggs, as do most of my "kids" which are adults, and an order of beignets to finish off. For 4 adults and 2 kids, I can generally get out at about $60, which is cheaper than Denny's.

and the coffee is that slightly more full-bodied style you get in the real New Orleans. I don't know if it has chicory in it (like real NOLA coffee) but it's not burnt like some of the urn coffee on Main Street or in DCA (that bakery coffe is bleh!)

mohavewolfpup
08-06-2008, 05:08 AM
I have to admit, I felt the same sensitivity to park prices as you when I first got my AP. But over time, I've grown accustomed to what I have to pay when I look forward to enjoying breakfast at Café Orleans, River Belle Terrace or Carnation Café, when I know I'll spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 including tip on myself (I have to get Mickey Waffles or Pancakes to go with my main entree, then walk it off for the day at the park!). I often go with friends who have APs, so for the price, we get table service at CO or RBT, each other's company, and the unique experience of a relaxing, tasty breakfast inside Disneyland.

I get 20% off being a cast member, but as a result that still bites alot. It's not easy for me to be carefree with what meager wages I have, and i'm in a department that at least sort of guarantees 30-40 hours a week even in the off season. I will admit I cringe when I sweep up/pickup receipts during the night that have high amounts spent. Found a reciept once where someone spent about $80 at the tommorrowland terrace, a whole days wages for me...

and the coffee is that slightly more full-bodied style you get in the real New Orleans. I don't know if it has chicory in it (like real NOLA coffee) but it's not burnt like some of the urn coffee on Main Street or in DCA (that bakery coffe is bleh!)

99% of the coffee around the resort is a generic preground (worst kind of coffee, the beans are better. real coffee drinkers know that whole bean coffee contains more flavor in it then massive preground crap) coffee from nestle called "cool java" same for the decaf. I forgot the brand used in some parts of new orleans/club 33, but it's usually a italian brand/blend of some kind, and usually whole bean. Look behind the cafe orleans counter also when you first walk in, they've got some pretty good coffee making equipment there.

when I come into the park, I resist buying the overpriced coffee because it is all around backstage by the drum/gallon/liter/your choice of measurement here ;). we drink the same junk to stay awake at night as you guys fork over for onstage :p Few times i bought coffee at the blue ribbon bakery (iced coffee, sometimes hot coffee) i've felt it should be made better, especially the iced coffee. if I went to starbucks, the ice would be finely ground up and mixed through out (i love the java chip for example) , I find just dropping ice cubes in a cup and pouring coffee over it is blech....

olegc
08-06-2008, 06:51 AM
99% of the coffee around the resort is a generic preground (worst kind of coffee, the beans are better. real coffee drinkers know that whole bean coffee contains more flavor in it then massive preground crap) coffee from nestle called "cool java" same for the decaf. I forgot the brand used in some parts of new orleans/club 33, but it's usually a italian brand/blend of some kind, and usually whole bean. Look behind the cafe orleans counter also when you first walk in, they've got some pretty good coffee making equipment there.....

off topic - but my usual routine is walk in to the park, go to market house, buy hazelnut, and save receipt. the flavors are nicer than the regular. Again, my preference.

I will miss the breakfast (even though temporary). that creole benedict really brings NOLA back to me.

Burnt Toast
08-06-2008, 10:04 AM
I have been told that Cafe Orleans will no longer serve breakfast. Last day is September 1st.

No word on if it'll come back, but the wording I got was "will no longer serve".

mohavewolfpup
08-06-2008, 12:10 PM
I have been told that Cafe Orleans will no longer serve breakfast. Last day is September 1st.

No word on if it'll come back, but the wording I got was "will no longer serve".

the hell? how do I try those poached egg thingies now? :p what now, is it being converted into a plushie store room overflow for all the stores? :p

i don't get why the breakfast has to go away for the remodel downstairs, it has a tiny kitchen behind the dining room in there...

MLSfan
08-06-2008, 01:11 PM
How about a breakfast Monte Cristo? Bacon and eggs dipped in batter and fried in grease....mmmmmm

Toocherie
08-06-2008, 02:50 PM
there was a breakfast Monte Cristo--but it was cheese only.

I am totally bummed--having a relaxing breakfast at the Cafe Orleans was one of my favorite activities at DLR. What a waste of a location.

yohomama212
08-06-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm bummed about this. I've only had breakfast there once but it is one of my most treasured memories.

And oh my, that breakfast MC just sounds gross. I think I'm about to loose the other half of my lunch!

Elizabeth

MammaSilva
08-06-2008, 02:56 PM
The saddest thing about this is that now that leaves the Riverbelle as the ONLY option for Breakfast on West side which means it'll be even more crowded. When the Cafe Orleans closes that leaves the Carnation Cafe, Breakfast with Miss Minnie and Friends and the Tomorrowland Terrace for breakfast foods in the entire park. Yeah the Blue Ribbon bakery has rolls and coffee but no real protein available for those who have sugar issues.

mohavewolfpup
08-06-2008, 03:04 PM
The saddest thing about this is that now that leaves the Riverbelle as the ONLY option for Breakfast on West side which means it'll be even more crowded. When the Cafe Orleans closes that leaves the Carnation Cafe, Breakfast with Miss Minnie and Friends and the Tomorrowland Terrace for breakfast foods in the entire park. Yeah the Blue Ribbon bakery has rolls and coffee but no real protein available for those who have sugar issues.

your avatar just made me remember something. saw a note posted backstage that the club 33 kitchen shares some cooking facilities with fantasmic. not remembering all of it, but i believe the coffee and some desserts are made by club 33? now you can claim you ate at club 33 also while watching fantasmic ;) all the labor/food supplies used by club 33 are to be billed to the NOMK (new orleans main kitchen) account the note went onto say...

Malcon10t
08-06-2008, 03:08 PM
OK, I've dealt with all the other removals (Riverbelle excellent food, French Market great food, etc) but this really is the pits. We LOVE going early and relaxing while we watch everyone start their day. It is just the best way to start.

MammaSilva
08-06-2008, 03:12 PM
your avatar just made me remember something. saw a note posted backstage that the club 33 kitchen shares some cooking facilities with fantasmic. not remembering all of it, but i believe the coffee and some desserts are made by club 33? now you can claim you ate at club 33 also while watching fantasmic ;) all the labor/food supplies used by club 33 are to be billed to the NOMK (new orleans main kitchen) account the note went onto say...

Thanks for the trivia!!!!! I've actually been fortunate enough to have eaten inside Club 33 once. I'm sure it was a once in my lifetime experience but I was happy to be able to have that one moment. I've been thru the Club kitchen on several occasions when we'd go to the Fantasmic Balcony event and the deserts were fantasmically fantastic at the buffet and I will say that I was impressed with the goodie box. We only had one coffee drinker in our group and they were happy with the quality of their drink during the show.

olegc
08-07-2008, 11:17 AM
I went this AM to Cafe Orleans for breakfast after I picked up my DIsney Stamp merchandise. According to the CM I spoke with - they are not generating enough revenue on a regular basis to justify that the place stay open. Even though the patio was PACKED today at 9:30am and inside too she said normally it's very slow.

As other bloggers have said - long ago disney used to keep things open because it was part of the show. That left during the Pressler era, and I guess that kind of bottom line thinking is still prevalent. It's the same in the regular restaurant biz - but when you have a captive audience where people should be "discovering" things I would think it would be held to a different standard. (don't get started on the Disney is a Business stuff - I heard it before and I think Disneyland as a unique theme park is a different breed).

VickiC
08-07-2008, 01:12 PM
We always have to wait for a table there. It seems hard to believe they aren.t making money.

olegc
08-07-2008, 01:15 PM
We always have to wait for a table there. It seems hard to believe they aren.t making money.

for breakfast? or lunch/dinner -
this issue is breakfast revenue...

cstephens
08-07-2008, 01:54 PM
When the Cafe Orleans closes that leaves the Carnation Cafe, Breakfast with Miss Minnie and Friends and the Tomorrowland Terrace for breakfast foods in the entire park. Yeah the Blue Ribbon bakery has rolls and coffee but no real protein available for those who have sugar issues.

What does Tomorrowland Terrace have by way of breakfast foods? We've run into this problem recently as well, where we ended up at River Belle three times in a period of about two weeks for breakfast because there wasn't anywhere else to go. Didn't want to do character breakfast, Carnation was packed, and bakery doesn't have protein. And we didn't have time to venture into DTD.

katiesue
08-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Tomorrowland Terrace has a breakfast similiar to the Steamboat at Riverbelle. Eggs, bacon, potatoes and small blueberry muffin. I like it better, it's cheaper and includes your choice of beverage. They also have french toast sticks and a fruit plate.