PDA

View Full Version : Question about Toy Story Mania [single rider line]

Pages : [1] 2

dz4dsny
08-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Is there a pattern to the single rider line? I went on Sunday and it wasn't operating? Is it based on how busy they are? I would think it would always be helpful because if you're riding alone, your scores wouldn't be as high.

cstephens
08-01-2008, 01:54 PM
I would think it would always be helpful because if you're riding alone, your scores wouldn't be as high.

I'm not understanding why your score would be different if you were riding alone since only your attempts count, and I don't think it has a way to tell if there's one or two people riding. Or are there fewer things that pop up if there's only person in the car that I don't know about because I haven't done it.

I'm personallly not a fan of single rider on that attraction. We'll see if we have to deal with that this Sunday.

Phantom2006
08-01-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm not understanding why your score would be different if you were riding alone since only your attempts count, and I don't think it has a way to tell if there's one or two people riding. Or are there fewer things that pop up if there's only person in the car that I don't know about because I haven't done it.

I'm personallly not a fan of single rider on that attraction. We'll see if we have to deal with that this Sunday.

Well if you have been on it before you know where the 2000 and 5000 targets are. If you are alone you can get them without worrying about the other person getting them. I am also not a big fan of the single rider line. I went yesterday and we had a group of 3 and I was the one to brave the single rider. Thank god I was not sat with anybody. The single rider line was open.

cstephens
08-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Well if you have been on it before you know where the 2000 and 5000 targets are. If you are alone you can get them without worrying about the other person getting them.

Well, I have been on it before, but no, I haven't memorized where every single target is, and I doubt I ever will. I see your point about not having to fight someone else to get those targets, but that's not what the OP said. The OP said that riding alone, your score would be lower, which is what I didn't understand.

Phantom2006
08-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Oh i read it wrong. I guess I was reading what I wanted to read. When you ride alone the same amount of things pop up. When I did ride alone yesterday however I did get my highest score.

dz4dsny
08-01-2008, 03:08 PM
I had originally read in the AP newsletter that there are some targets if hit by both players opened up other opportunities for scoring. Maybe not.

But what I'm more curious about is whether or not there is a schedule for when the line is open.

Catcherman22
08-01-2008, 03:18 PM
I dunno.. it was open with about 30 people in it yesterday at about 2 pm..

I for one.. have never seen it closed.. but I know others have

Phantom2006
08-01-2008, 03:30 PM
I had originally read in the AP newsletter that there are some targets if hit by both players opened up other opportunities for scoring. Maybe not.

There was a time when me and my friend hit all the balloons in the clouds at the same time and boo peeps game (I think thats what we did). A bunch of 5000 point balloons fell.

disneyperson
08-01-2008, 03:53 PM
I did not like sharing with a stranger from the single rider line. I don't mind it on other attractions but the quarters are much too close on TSMM to share with a stranger. There were three in our party and I found myself squeezed in with a big sweaty stranger who hogged the targets. Not only was it too close to share a seat with her, but she shot at my targets as well as hers and was a huge jerk about it At the end she said she was going to run around and ride it again.:mad:

I think the CMs should ask guests who've waited in the whole queue whether they mind being seated with a single rider.

biolabetty
08-01-2008, 04:44 PM
On Wednesday the single rider line was closed when I went. I agree, I wouldn't really want to have a stranger sharing that ride with me, it felt pretty close to have my family with me, I wouldn't feel comfortable with someone I don't know. I feel the same way on Mulholland Madness.

houseofmouse
08-01-2008, 07:50 PM
The first two times we rode, we rode as a party but then there was 3 of us the next time and one of us had to ride with a stranger. It was not a big deal. If you really care about your score, then I guess it could be a problem but that is part of having an odd amount in your party. Would it be good manners to say, "please make sure you don't sit anyone next to me?"

AVP
08-01-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm not understanding why your score would be different if you were riding alone.There is a bonus round of sorts in every game that can generally be triggered only by two players who are cooperating, or happen to hit the right targets at the right time. In the ball/plate game you absolutely can not do it if you are playing solo.

I think the CMs should ask guests who've waited in the whole queue whether they mind being seated with a single rider. I agree. I would not like to be placed with some random person.

AVP

MickeyM00C0w
08-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Would it be good manners to say, "please make sure you don't sit anyone next to me?"

Exactly what I was thinking. They have the single rider line to maximize efficiency. Believe it or not, there is a set amount of people each each attraction should be cycling through per hour, which is the purpose of single rider. The CM will not take out a laser gun and incinerate you if you ask to ride alone, it's just easier to assume people will not mind since you're constantly bumping shoulders with people through out the day. If you really don't want to, all you have to do is speak up and they will be more than happy to oblige.

disneyperson
08-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. They have the single rider line to maximize efficiency. Believe it or not, there is a set amount of people each each attraction should be cycling through per hour, which is the purpose of single rider. The CM will not take out a laser gun and incinerate you if you ask to ride alone, it's just easier to assume people will not mind since you're constantly bumping shoulders with people through out the day. If you really don't want to, all you have to do is speak up and they will be more than happy to oblige.

Being squished on the same bench for an entire ride is hardly the same as an occasional bump of shoulders or elbows in a crowd. And in my case, it was not exactly our shoulders that were bumping. :( I had no idea there was a single line going until I found myself squeezed in next to someone I didn't know. I will certainly speak up next time.

I've never feared the wrath of any CM. Nor have any of them given the slightest indication that they might be packing a laser.:rolleyes:

Julie Mouse
08-01-2008, 10:30 PM
I enjoy the single rider line and use it if I go alone. I figure I regularly sit next to people/strangers in movies and shows, on benches, and on rides like:

Soarin', Grizzly River, ToT, Indiana Jones, Star Tours, Jungle Cruise, monorail, tram, trains, main street vehicles, and I'm in pretty close quarters with people while in lines or in the HM stretching room.

So I guess I don't feel like it's that odd to sit next to a stranger at DL. I do agree it would be uncomfortable if it was an attraction where you have seating that doesn't keep you in place, and would be thrown into the other person's body (like on BTMRR or Tea Cups).

So, I hope I haven't upset anyone by using single rider, and of course, agree that (if you are bothered) you could ask to be sat alone. That seems reasonable to me.

evrythngwmn
08-01-2008, 10:31 PM
I pack a laser but that's just between us.;)

cstephens
08-02-2008, 09:58 AM
I enjoy the single rider line and use it if I go alone. I figure I regularly sit next to people/strangers in movies and shows, on benches, and on rides like:

Soarin', Grizzly River, ToT, Indiana Jones, Star Tours, Jungle Cruise, monorail, tram, trains, main street vehicles, and I'm in pretty close quarters with people while in lines or in the HM stretching room.

I know it doesn't bother some people, but the difference for me is that all the other attractions you've described have a fairly large group of people together. The vehicles for Toy Story are small and separated - so you're sitting with a stranger in a confined space. To me, It would be like if I was going alone on Alice or Pinocchio or Snow White or Mr. Toad or Peter Pan, and because there's still space next to or behind me, they put another single rider in there that's a stranger.

If people don't mind sitting with a stranger, that's fine, but I would prefer if you had the choice.

MickeyM00C0w
08-02-2008, 10:09 AM
If people don't mind sitting with a stranger, that's fine, but I would prefer if you had the choice.

But...you do have the choice. Just need to speak up.

dznyphreak
08-02-2008, 01:38 PM
I used Single Rider as well, since I went alone this past Sunday. I wouldn't be offended if someone preferred to ride alone rather than with me, a total stranger.

I asked what their policy was for opening/closing the Single Rider line, since I encountered it closed on one occasion. They said that it's only open when the standby line does not cross the walkway (i.e. to the waterfront, snack stands, and Screamin launch). I was incredibly annoyed by all the families abusing the Single Rider line. I really wanted to say, "You could stand to wait 40 minutes and ride with your family, leaving the Single Rider line to those of us who are truly single riders."

And, just so you know, I always keep to my own targets. If I see that my partner and I are aiming at the same targets, I will shoot elsewhere. So not all single riders are jerks. ;)

tchatters
08-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Our family of 3 rode five times during our trip last week. The first four times, one of the two adults rode alone and our son and the other adult together. We stood in the regular line all together. The final time I was in the side of the car alone and just before the CM closed the door she stuck a young kid- maybe 11 in my car. It was very uncomfortable because the entire time I kept thinking "I wonder if his mom knows he jumps on this ride alone with some stranger in the dark. What a terrible thing!" I wasn't uncomfortable for me but being a teacher and always aware of how situations may look to others it was just weird.

Unless I had jumped up a that last second and yelled "No!" there was no way for me to expect that someone would be put with us.

PanFan
08-02-2008, 02:36 PM
I tend to get higher scores when I'm riding by myself. Now if I was riding with a friend who knew what targets to hit and when, maybe we could kick some butt together. But with someone whom I don't know, I can't strategize in the same way. and whether they take "my" targets or not, there are simply fewer targets to shoot at when you have someone else hitting them as well. The one time I tried single rider, I waited 25 minutes when the regular line was 40.

JeffG
08-03-2008, 02:14 PM
I was incredibly annoyed by all the families abusing the Single Rider line. I really wanted to say, "You could stand to wait 40 minutes and ride with your family, leaving the Single Rider line to those of us who are truly single riders."

A single rider is anyone who is willing to ride with a stranger in exchange for potentially waiting less time. There is no reason at all why that options shouldn't be available to the members of a group if they don't mind being separated. This is hardly "abuse" by any stretch of the imagination.

-Jeff

Drince88
08-03-2008, 03:03 PM
A single rider is anyone who is willing to ride with a stranger in exchange for potentially waiting less time. There is no reason at all why that options shouldn't be available to the members of a group if they don't mind being separated. This is hardly "abuse" by any stretch of the imagination.
I agree. The only time it's abuse is when they get to the front of the single rider line and then expect to be able to ride together.

Julie Mouse
08-03-2008, 04:21 PM
So I was at Midway Mania this morning and went in the single rider line before meeting up with my group.

Today, they were asking odd numbered parties if they would mind sitting with a single rider. I never heard anyone say no. It was a bit odd though, after they said yes, the cm would say ok "this is your new buddy" and call the single rider to stand with them and then direct them to their number. It almost felt like a blind date... I'm not sure the best way to do it, but I thought people here would be happy to hear that they are now asking on TSMM before pairing you with a single rider.

cstephens
08-03-2008, 08:43 PM
When we went on this afternoon, and the CM asked me how many people, I said 5, but we'd prefer not to have to sit with a stranger. They didn't put someone with the one in our group riding alone. The single rider line was the longest I've seen it. Wait time on the ride was posted at 30 minutes.