PDA

View Full Version : Annual Passes

kikid
10-23-2002, 11:15 AM
Hi Everyone,
I'm a 'Disney nut' (my husband would be the first to agree)
I'm so glad I found this website.
I would like to purchase ap for myself and two boys, ages 15 and 11. Is it possible to utilize ap being 50miles away? Also, are there any other benefits to being an ap holder? We stay at the GC every June and at the Embassy Suites in Jan. any discounts there?
Thanks for your advice,
Kikid and boys

Lani
10-23-2002, 11:27 AM
Hi kikid -- we have had APs for many years, and we live in the SF Bay Area. In general, if you plan on visiting the parks for more than four days out of the year, it will be worth your while.

As for discounts, visit Mary's popular MouseSavers (http://www.mousesavers.com) Web site. She does a great job.

ae's mom
10-23-2002, 11:39 AM
I live in Northern California and never had an AP before but bought one in August. I knew I would be going twice this year (4 days in Aug and 4 days in Sept.) and it was cheaper to purchase the Premium AP than two 4-day tickets. The extra discounts are wonderful. The only drawback for me is my PAP is good until August 2003 and I know it is just sitting in my dresser and I feel like I should be going to DLR at least every other month!!!!!:D

MickeyD
10-23-2002, 11:54 AM
I think there are a lot of APers who live in San Diego. I had an AP when I lived there, and now I live physically closer to Anaheim, it seems further away because I have to drive through LA traffic to get there, and I still get a lot of usage out of my AP. Your boys would be very lucky if you got them APs.

kranders
10-23-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by kikid
We stay at the GC every June and at the Embassy Suites in Jan. any discounts there?
Thanks for your advice,
Kikid and boys If you stay on site, one of you should definately get the Premium AP. The discounts at the Disney hotels will have you breaking even in just one trip.:D We haven't stayed at the GC, but we got the $99 AP rate at the DLH several times (the rack rate is $250!!)

We never thought we would do it living 200 miles away, but we now make it to DLR at least once a month!

Pirate Bill
10-23-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by ae's mom
I knew I would be going twice this year (4 days in Aug and 4 days in Sept.) and it was cheaper to purchase the Premium AP than two 4-day tickets.
This is the exact reason my wife and I got one last year... even living as far as Phoenix. We still fly there however as the 6 hour drive each way is really tiring. We frequently take advantage of the really cheap rates on Southwest and get tickets in advance. Like we did back in August for this past weekend (little did we know that the Angels would have made it so far back then :) ). Luckily for us we've discovered the little laid-back, time saving, low-stress secret that is Ontario Airport. It seems that everyone here in Phoenix only think about LAX when flying out there. What a great alternative. But I digress.. :D

Get the AP... you'll love it. Especially when you get bored some weekend and say.. "Hey, who wants to go to DL?!" I wish I could pack up drive only 50 miles! :p

ae's mom
10-23-2002, 12:53 PM
I have to agree about Ontario Airport....small, easy and convienent (sp?)

Not to get to far off the topic, but.....we flew into Ontario last December because at the time the tickets to John Wayne were much more expensive. We literally stepped off the plane at noon, got our luggage, got on the super shuttle, checked in our hotel and we were in Disneyland at a few minutes after 1:00!!! Ontario is the way to go if you can't fly into John Wayne Airport!!

kranders
10-23-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Pirate Bill
I wish I could pack up drive only 50 miles! :p
I agree!!!!!:D :D

Disneyphile
10-23-2002, 02:32 PM
I live about 45 miles away, and LOVE driving to the park whenever I feel like it. Heck, I've even gone as late as 9pm, just to ride Space Mountain a couple times before closing and then driving all the way back home. But, then again, it depends on how much of a Disney freak you are, and I'm already beyond help.;)

-Teresa

mad4mky
10-23-2002, 02:47 PM
We live in the SF Bay Area, are a family of 5...and we have the Deluxe AP's.

I know there are plenty of people from the San Diego area that have AP's.
And, gee, if I lived only 50 miles away...we would be at DLR almost every weekend...and every weekday that I could get off work.:D

If you like the DLR and go more than once a year...buy the AP's...it's worth it.:D

socabch
10-23-2002, 05:20 PM
kikid.... Hi, I would say it's worth it. I live 88 miles away in San Diego and it's been great having A/P's. We have 2 Deluxes & 1 Premium: the Deluxes are for my daughter's and the Premium is mine so I can get free parking and the discounts. We would probably never go on the extra busy Deluxe blackout days so it works great for us. We have gone several times and only spend the night once in a while.

LibraryGirl
10-23-2002, 05:51 PM
I am finally getting an AP and I live in NorCal. Mu hubby and little one will be getting their APs in a staggered manner. First me, then hubby in about 3 months and then baby 3 months after that. That way we don't go broke purchasing them all at one time.

I am happy to see that there are such good discounts for DLH! I can hope that I call on the right day to get them!!

slaakker
10-23-2002, 08:15 PM
I live in Las Vegas and have had the So Cal AP before. It was sold to me and my wife with no questions asked. Anyone out there been denied the So Cal AP for not living in the designated zip codes? We are planning to get AP again in December and planning on the So Cal passes again.

Thanks!

mrcoffee
10-23-2002, 08:47 PM
We also just upgraded to AP's, and we live in Phoenix. We feel it's worth it.

But to comment on Ontario.. We thought it was great as well, until this last time we flew into Orange County.. Got a GREAT price on Aloha ($140 for 2 round-trip!), and that is much better than Ontario. You don't have to rent a car, or pay a lot for SuperShuttle from Orange County. (We took SuperShuttle to the hotel from the airport. $10 per person.. On the way back, we shared a cab with 2 other friends, and it was $33.00 plus tip, so that was about the same.