PDA

View Full Version : "The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland"

Pages : [1] 2

redrhino
10-22-2002, 04:32 PM
My wife just came home from the library with this book.

Do any of you have comments on the guide?

If not, I'll post a brief review within a few weeks after I've had the chance to read it.

Sheila
10-22-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by redrhino
My wife just came home from the library with this book.

Do any of you have comments on the guide?

If not, I'll post a brief review within a few weeks after I've had the chance to read it.

If you are referring to Bob Sehlinger's Unofficial Guide, then I can vouch for it. Although the touring plans are designed for those in good shape, I'd say those are some of the best ways to visit the park when it is very busy.

Plus Sehlinger's wry and slightly cynical take on the theme park touring experience is pretty funny. :)

Sheila

Klutch
10-22-2002, 07:47 PM
I used the Unofficial Disneyland guide on my trips in '96 and just last week. I think his books are great. I had a copy of his WDW guide and gave it to a friend last summer. It saved her countless hours of standing in line.

The descriptions of each attraction are very helpful for people who are not familiar with Disney Parks. They tell which rides might scare youngsters, and which ones they may not be tall enough to ride.

And, of course, Bob gives the best advice overall for visiting any Disney park; get there EARLY!

I find the itineraries very helpful. If you don't mind criss-crossing a bit, you can knock off the most popular rides in no time then enjoy the atmosphere when the park gets really crowded. Or, you can leave for awhile and take a nap or soak in the hotel hot tub.

lisap
10-22-2002, 08:02 PM
We loved the Unofficial DL guide--kept a dog-eared copy of the "Dumbo or Die in a Day (http://www.disneylandian.com/general/Dumbo_or_Die_one_day.html) " itinerary for a while when the kids were smaller :) We are big list checkers, so we loved the different touring plans designed to see the maximum amount of attractions.

In fact, I just bought their Unofficial Guide to DC today for an upcoming trip :)

Techie7
10-22-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by lisap
We loved the Unofficial DL guide--kept a dog-eared copy of the "Dumbo or Die in a Day (http://www.disneylandian.com/general/Dumbo_or_Die_one_day.html) " itinerary for a while when the kids were smaller :)

Wow Lisa you really know how to remind people of all the things one can not do right now!

Rocket Rods, Train, Small World, Carrousel, Chip and Dale's Treehouse, Country Bear Jamboree, Big Thunder Ranch Petting Zoo, and Swiss Family Tree House!
*I would suggest that no one try this itinerary since you might have some trouble riding these attractions!

sydney
10-22-2002, 08:21 PM
not to be antagonistic, but I've actually been looking for an opprotunity to express my dissatisfaction with this book. I (being a passholder who visits DL weekly) am probably not their target audience, but I feel I have a better than average understanding of how to get the most out of the resort, so I wanted to see what they were telling those that were trying to prepare for a DL vacation.

a particularly bad point in the 2003 version is its description and suggested use of fastpass. Admittedly this is a difficult and oft-changed concept, so I do not think they didn't try. but they miss key facts--- they say a fastpass can be obtained 4 hours after getting your first, when they should at least say the next fastpass is available at the time listed at the bottom of the ticket and go into some short discussion of how that time is determined. (and by the way, that time could never be four hours after your first ticket.)

at that point, I put the book back on the shelf. So though I can't say I've read the whole book, I have read the first two chapters, and found the writting easy and fun to read, if somewhat innacurate for a just published edition.

lisap
10-22-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Techie7
Wow Lisa you really know how to remind people of all the things one can not do right now!

Rocket Rods, Train, Small World, Carrousel, Chip and Dale's Treehouse, Country Bear Jamboree, Big Thunder Ranch Petting Zoo, and Swiss Family Tree House!
*I would suggest that no one try this itinerary since you might have some trouble riding these attractions!

Ok, I DID say this was a few years ago....:( Mickey Moo, where are you?

and what year did Big Thunder Ranch go away, Mr. Trivia King? :p

Sheila
10-22-2002, 08:36 PM
Sydney, yes I do agree with your assessment of their "facts" on how to use FastPass. There must be tremendous competition to be the first guidebook out with the latest information, not to mention they must finalize their guidebooks way before any real concrete information is available about new attractions, etc.

I think the funniest one I ever saw was that all the WDW guidebooks (including Sehlinger's) were putting in new guides for Islands of Adventure before the park even opened. They all even had touring plans without ever seeing any attractions! :rolleyes: They were off the mark, although all the books made some pretty good educated guesses.

In any event, the basic information about which attractions are the busiest, how to plan your attack and other information is pretty solid. I would still recommend the book for basic info despite such a glaring mistake.

As a savvy consumer, it sure pays to check out facts when you get to the parks, doesn't it?

Sheila

Not Afraid
10-22-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by lisap
and what year did Big Thunder Ranch go away, Mr. Trivia King? :p

As my son, he's only the Trivia Prince.;)

Karlos the Jackal
10-23-2002, 05:24 AM
I went to Disneyland last year for the first time in almost 20 years and I read this book (and this site) thoroughly before the trip. I dunno, this site makes the book a little unnessecary, I think, although the book is more portable for most folks and has a good tip or two.

I totally ignored his touring plans, though, since I almost never get up before noon, and I'm certainly not going to do so on vacation. We did fine, I think, without getting there first thing in the morning and running as fast as possible to each attraction.

Oh, and the illustrations really annoy me.

Nevertheless, I might buy the 2003 edition for my trip next year, although I don't think I would if I hadn't dropped my 2002 edition into the tub at the hotel in Anaheim.

--K

RideMax Mark
10-23-2002, 07:38 AM
One of the things I really like about the Unofficial Guide is their Hotel section. They list ratings of each hotel, then summarize the whole section with a list of the "30 Best Values." It lets you see where the best deals are at any given price point.

(I'll withold comment on their touring plans, since I'm obviously biased :) )

mad4mky
10-23-2002, 09:26 AM
I have never read the UnOfficial Guide to Disneyland...as we go often enough not to need it.

But, if it is anything like his UnOffical Guide to Walt Disney World...then its a great book. This book kept me sane and knowlegeable about all of WDW. It helped me prepare for the trip, what to expect and what rides were worth missing and which ones were the must sees.
I think he was right on on that aspect. Oh, and the restaraunt reviews were great. We knew which restaraunts that we wanted to eat at ahead of time, and made sure to make priority seating reservations before we left from home.

But...unless you want to drive yourself crazy running around the park like a madman, I would say take the touring plans lightly. I think you miss most of the beauty of the parks running from attraction to attraction, let alone have any time for lunch or a snack. I think the best bet to get to see everything in the park is to make sure you have given yourself enough vacation days to ensure this. Running around the park on a strict touring plan, while may be fun for others, seemed like such a stressful thing to me.
Enjoy your time at the park...enjoy the beauty and detailing that Disney goes to such length to do to enhance our experiences there.
just my .02 here...:D

teri
10-23-2002, 09:50 AM
I would like to have the whole series burned, myself. It's personal. I have experienced touring with people who wanted to follow the book to the letter, and it is like being under Nazi occupation. The whole concept of Commando Touring and of beating everyone else out to the next attraction completely spoils the 'discovery' aspect of park touring. No time to appreciate the artistry and details, we have to get to the next E-ticket attraction and stay on schedule. I have had friends whose husbands were using that book, "disappear" the book on day 2.

I am all for trip planning and knowing what things you might want to see and do, but spoiling the experience by making everyone else around you into an obstacle between you and the attractions - it just bothers the heck out of me. The other people in the park are an integral part of the experience of being there.

Sailor Butterfly
10-23-2002, 09:58 AM
Yeah, the racing around the park keeping to a strict schedule is not my cup of tea either. I had experienced that during one trip and I'll never do it again. There are so many little things that one doesn't notice by doing that. I think the most important piece of advice is to take time out during the most crowded part of the day. Do the attractions that aren't very popular, take a nap- heck, if you can afford it get your hand stamped and take in a movie at the theater in Downtown Disney.

I agree with RideMax, the nicest part of the UnOfficial book is the hotel section.

kennyhues
10-23-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by teri
I am all for trip planning and knowing what things you might want to see and do, but spoiling the experience by making everyone else around you into an obstacle between you and the attractions - it just bothers the heck out of me. The other people in the park are an integral part of the experience of being there.

I'll say Amen to that. For Heaven's sake, you're on vacation - slow down and enjoy yourself. Disney parks are full of cool little details designed to bring a smile. Take a carriage ride down Main Street. Stop and listen to the Dapper Dans. What's it going to cost you? If your attitude is that it's so expensive that you want to make darn sure you "get your money's worth," consider the fact that a Disney vacation muight not be what you'd most enjoy anyway. Go to Yosemite and conquer Half-Dome if you must be goal-oriented even while vacationing.

Twinsmom
10-23-2002, 12:07 PM
I have also purchased/read the 2003 guide (along with every other guide book available at Barnes & Noble) to be prepared. I found this one offered a non-sugar coated look at DL. Having been to WDW about 7 or so times, I knew nothing about DL, Anaheim, LAX, etc. I liked the hotel rating also, but found the notes included that were received as feedback to previous guides interesting as well. (Not everyone was pleased...)

I have definitely learned more from this site and the great people who take the time to help the newcomers! I have read and read so many threads, reviews, etc. I feel like I know more than I ever imagined at DL and on many other subjects. Oooh, the rats come to mind..... I would be glad to send my guides to anyone who wants them - just send me an email.

Thanks!

Ghoulish Delight
10-23-2002, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't suggest any first timer follow a strict scheduled touring plan. But that doesn't mean such guides don't have value. By reading and understanding what the "perfect strategy" is, you can selectively apply it. So if there are a 2 or 3 MUST rides for you, you can do those as efficiently as possible, leaving as much time afterwards (or before) to just enjoy yourself.

Also, simply familiarizing yourself with the layout, some efficient walking routes, and much of the terminology saves a lot of frustration for first timers.

hairboy079
10-23-2002, 12:39 PM
Hey! Although I haven't read the Unofficial DL guide, Birnbaum's guides have been VERY helpful. Which do you think is better?

lisap
10-23-2002, 12:40 PM
I think it also depends on one's personality. I was reading Karlos T.J. mentioning that he never gets up early because he's on vacation, and I have a hard time relating to that. I can sleep in at home (well, not really, but in theory)! When I'm on vacation, especially in a new place, I want to go and do stuff. I love checking things off lists, and I like hearing and reading other people's opinion about attractions, even though I may not agree with them.

Now that I'm able to go to DL on a regular basis, I've gotten more relaxed about doing stuff every minute. I can sit and visit and enjoy the little details of DL much more now that I know I can come back next month (or next week).

stan4d_steph
10-23-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by hairboy079
Hey! Although I haven't read the Unofficial DL guide, Birnbaum's guides have been VERY helpful. Which do you think is better?

I like the Unofficial guide because it gives you frank opinions about rides. Since Birnbaum's is official, you'll never see any text in there about how much of a disappointment Ride "X" was. I haven't read the one for DL, but I found the WDW guide very valuable in planning my own itineraries, especially the guides to places to eat.

EandCDad
10-24-2002, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by kennyhues
I'll say Amen to that. For Heaven's sake, you're on vacation - slow down and enjoy yourself. Disney parks are full of cool little details designed to bring a smile. Take a carriage ride down Main Street. Stop and listen to the Dapper Dans. What's it going to cost you? If your attitude is that it's so expensive that you want to make darn sure you "get your money's worth," consider the fact that a Disney vacation muight not be what you'd most enjoy anyway. Go to Yosemite and conquer Half-Dome if you must be goal-oriented even while vacationing.

I'm not sure its an either or scenario. That is, either you go like Captain Commando and follow the touring plans or you stop and enjoy the "little details." I think the touring plans can be helpful in avoiding something I think is probably very common for first timers, extensive line waiting. In this case, you aren't going on rides or enjoying the Dapper Dans, you're standing in the Dumbo queue.

Let's say family "A" shows up on their first day, the park opens at 9 but they get there about 10. They take their picture at the train station, then they go into Mr. Lincoln cause its the first thing they see. They enjoy it, but by now its getting close to 11. Junior wants to ride Dumbo, so they go get in line. 1 to 2 hours later (you think I'm kidding, ride Dumbo with a long line some day), they decide to eat lunch. That takes awhile since its prime lunch time. Junior wants to do Peter Pan, another 1 to 2 hour wait. So the park has been open for 5 hours and they've seen one show and ridden two rides. If some of the party wants to do Indy next, or Splash, or HMH, forget it, it's almost dinner time when that's over.

This is the kind of thing that happens alot. It's not just the insane ride commandos on one side and those who appreciate the smaller things on the other. There is a large group in the center that spends alot of time standing in lines, the touring plans might help to avoid that. It might help a family actually do what they paid in some cases thousands of dollars to do, enjoy rides, shows and attractions.

I'm not saying it can't be overdone. It's just a tool. I haven't read our copy in a looooooooooong time, but I think he has various touring plans that allow for more relaxed pace. You might also have a group that does "Dumbo or Die in a Day" on one day of their trip and then enjoys more of the subtle pleasures on additional days.

Sailor Butterfly
10-24-2002, 07:35 AM
I agree that they can be quite useful in avoiding certain pitfalls, the book does give good advice such as eating earlier or later than normal. Personally, I was raised with a very lax eating schedule (mom didn't start cooking dinner till we were getting hungry), I'm used to grabbing a bite to eat whenever my tummy starts to rumble- so I tend to eat at oddball times anyway. lol

tstan70
10-24-2002, 08:00 AM
Although I know Disneyland quite well - although not as well as some of you Disney freaks :D , I have not been in DCA as the past three trips we have only had one day for the park and wanted to spend all of it in Disneyland. I bought the book to familiarize myself with DCA before going as well as looking for tips to getting the most out of Disneyland with a 2 1/2 year old. When we went to DL in may, we basically did our version of "Dumbo or Die in a day" and I about died by 6:00 pm and became what my wife described as an "anger ball" Not wanting that again, I am looking for anything that will help me enjoy it all again, so I am going to know all of my options before going - and leave the book at home!

hawaiimouse
10-25-2002, 03:32 AM
I've bought these books for the past several years and have found them to be a very good resource and very entertaining...yeah, I like the silly cartoons. :)

As far as the plans go, since we tend to stay for several days, we just adjust them for our purposes....say if we don't want to go to an attraction listed, we just skip it and go on to the next one. So, I'd advise (and indeed even the author does) to check out the plans that would suit you the most and adapt for your use. But, if you want to get on the major rides w/o waiting in lines forever, it's the way to go.

The best info from the books that I've learned tho' is 1) if at all possible, get there early! and 2) take a break in the afternoon if at all possible :sleep: ..that afternoon rest does wonders if you go back in the evening. :)

Dave Z
10-25-2002, 10:33 AM
You know how when you're away from your spouse for awhile and you look at her photo and sigh? Well, that's why I buy DL guide books. I read them when I can't be at DL, and sigh. But not in the same way, of course. :)

DZ