PDA

View Full Version : Pixar parade in DCA

cstephens
07-26-2008, 11:20 PM
I hadn't seen the new Pixar parade at DCA, so when we entered the park about 15 minutes before the next parade, we decided to sit down and watch it. I'd loved Block Party Bash, so I was sorry to see it go, but I was willing to see what the new parade was like. I hadn't heard too much about it so was just going with what I'd see.

It started off fine - Boo in her monster costume came by, and the Incredibles and how cool. And then the first float went by, and it went downhill from there. We had heard the announcement before the parade saying something about you might get wet during the parade. OK, kinda weird, but they might have some kind of misters or something. If you're going on Splash Mountain or Grizzly River Run and they tell you that you might get wet, you know what to expect. When they tell you that before a parade, you think you might get a little moisture, but I don't think you'd expect to be hosed down like you were on fire. Each and every single float contains multiple elements that either automatically shoot heavy streams of water out or are manually controlled by a cast member/parade performer. And I'm not talking a little misting. The streams that didn't actually hit us landed on the pavement with a fairly loud "splat". Where you get hit by the water varies as well, so sometimes, I was shot in the arm or my shirt or pretty much in the face if I wasn't already trying to duck and shield my head. By the time the parade was over, my clothes (and the floor around me) were pretty wet. Heck, I've gotten off Splash dryer than that!

The floats themselves seemed nice, but to be honest, I wasn't able to pay that much attention to them because I was pretty distracted by either trying to figure out what was going to shoot at me or actually being pelted with water. I remember that the Bug's Life float was funny because I noticed the "leaf" or whatever that was being carried by ants - very cute. The back of the Nemo float had the water goggles. I don't really remember much else, other than the music being kind of generic and easy to forget.

I can't imagine why they thought this was a good idea. If I want to get wet, I know what areas and what rides to go on to achieve that. But just sitting watching a parade? There was a lady sitting in front of me with what looked like a very expensive camera. I'm not sure how she reacted to the water blasts.

There's a part of me that doesn't ever want to watch this parade again because I was so completely irritated with being constantly pelted by water, but I suppose if I wanted to actually see the floats, I could watch from a distance, out of the splash zone.

Hibino
07-27-2008, 12:05 AM
How would you go legally if your camera got wet?

Could you get compensation or would they just say you were warned?

Darkbeer
07-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Still don't understand why they couldn't design "Wet" zones and then "Dry" zones, where they were clearly marked and park guests could choose which type of experence they wanted.

tchatters
07-27-2008, 06:19 AM
We loved this parade- because we got wet! It was very hot, the pavement where we were sitting was even hotter and the water added a fun, playful element. We weren't soaked by any means but from our perspective, it wasn't "too much" for a CA summer.

We enjoyed the little elements of the floats too- like the ants carrying the Bugs Life, the water goggles, the really amazing acrobats on the Toy Story float, and the slinky half of Slinky Dog trailing behind. Heimlich the caterpillar was hilarious too!

Bytebear
07-27-2008, 11:55 AM
I have seen the parade several times, and have gotten some water, but never soaked. I have also watched from a big further from front row, and I didn't get a drop. Seems to me, it's easy enough to avoid getting wet.

Toocherie
07-27-2008, 12:16 PM
I think it's hit or miss (no pun intended) on whether you get wet or not. I also think they "tone down" the waterworks on colder days and "tone up" on warm days. The most egregious thing I saw was one day when one of the performers went right up to a friend of mine and sprayed her in the face with a water bottle. That was uncalled for.

I think the OP was unfortunate to be in a place where she got so wet; and the other posters were luckier.

cstephens
07-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Seems to me, it's easy enough to avoid getting wet.

Yes, if you've seen the parade once and know that it's coming and that you're going to get THAT wet and not just misted. We were sitting in the second row for most of the parade. (We were at the end of the Sun Plaza section.) Right before the last float came by, I was watching it and saw how much water it was shooting out, so I actually got up and moved so I was standing in the third or fourth row. Still got blasted twice by water streams there.

JeffG
07-27-2008, 05:19 PM
The first time we saw the parade, it was on a somewhat cool day and they had just about all of the water effects turned off. We absolutely loved the parade and I thought it was overall a better parade than Block Party Bash (admittedly, that is partly because I'm not a big fan of parades that stop for extended shows).

When we saw it again a few weeks later, we were completely not expecting the water effects and generally got soaked. It was a very hot day and I didn't mind getting wet that awfully much, but I definitely would have liked more warning as well as a more ready opportunity to avoid the water. One big concern was that we were viewing the parade with my mother, who has an electric scooter that she has to use (due to severe arthritis) while visiting the parks. Without knowing about the water effects, we didn't cover the control panel and were a bit concerned about whether it was going to get damaged. Fortunately it was fine, but it certainly isn't the type of thing that we should be worrying about while trying to enjoy a parade.

I strongly think they need to introduce designated "splash" and "no-splash" zones along the parade route and turn the water effects on or off accordingly.

-Jeff

mckygirl99
07-27-2008, 10:05 PM
I have to agree with the OP. While the parade was cute, I didn't enjoy having my 12 month old soaked as well as my stroller. He didn't like being hit in the face with the water either. I always have pulled the stroller right up to the front of parades so he could see. It was getting close to ridiculous by the end and we left. You couldn't even look up at the float without getting hit in the eye. I saw performers across from us go over and just spray the crowd. At least at Sea World it is clearly marked where you will get wet and I avoid those areas like the plague!