PDA

View Full Version : Why the DCA coffee smell?

Pages : [1] 2

tod
10-21-2002, 05:52 PM
There have been a number of comments about the coffee smell in the entranceway of DCA. I've noticed it myself, many times.

Anybody know why it's there?

--T
curious.

Klutch
10-21-2002, 06:03 PM
I think it's supposed to be a "wienie", like the vanilla-cinnamon scent they pump into DL Main Street. Trouble is, nobody likes the smell of burned coffee. Of course, it's likely not supposed to smell burned.

MickeyD
10-21-2002, 06:59 PM
You know, I've *never* smelled that smell before, in the approximately two dozen times I've been to DCA. And (as far as I know) I have a perfectly functioning sense of smell. I'm not at doubting the existence of the smell, I just expect that one of these days I'll get a really good wiff of it and say, OHHH, that's what they're all talking about!

Hydroman
10-21-2002, 07:06 PM
I smelled it both times that I went in recent weeks .... but only as I was leaving DCA, not on the way in. Perhaps its an afternoon-only phenomenon.

CarlieB
10-21-2002, 07:13 PM
It was very strong when we were there...and very burnt-smelling....

innerSpaceman
10-21-2002, 07:47 PM
You'd think they'd have managed to get rid of the truly awful, awful smell that permeates the very entrance to their struggling new theme park!

I remember it took them over a year to get rid of that rotten egg smell from a certain part of the Splash Mtn. queue. I hope they have similar success in eventually banishing the burnt coffee odor from the DCA entrance. Like anyone needs any more excuse not to enter that park!

Pirate Bill
10-21-2002, 07:57 PM
Wow.. that's suppposed to be coffee?? My wife and I looked at each other and both asked "what's burning?" She thought it smelled more like burnt popcorn. Whatever it is, it was kinda nasty.

You think it's there to try and help distract us from listening to the same 5 songs in that DCA 'main street' area over and over and over again??? :D

mahumana
10-21-2002, 09:18 PM
Could it be that they are roasting coffee for one of the dtd stores?

Sophie832
10-21-2002, 09:52 PM
I'm glad someone finally is asking about this...I guess I should have a long time ago because I've always wondered why it smells like burnt coffee when you first walk inside the park (actually, you can smell it outside the entrance sometimes). It's totally gross, and I'm always wondering who burned the coffee?!

blusilva
10-21-2002, 09:57 PM
I thought it was because they were roasting their own coffee in that Silver Streak train thingie.

It is pretty darn gaggalicious. And I love coffee. If I could eat the grounds, I would. I just hate that roasting burnt smell. There's a place on Ventura Blvd. on the border between Sherman Oaks and Studio City that roasts their own coffee, and I used to have to turn my car vents off every morning when I drove past it, otherwise the smell got into my car and settled into the upholstery. Blechie.

Sophie832
10-21-2002, 10:08 PM
I do love the smell of coffee, btw, just not burnt coffee...that is gross.

Polar33
10-22-2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by blusilva
I thought it was because they were roasting their own coffee in that Silver Streak train thingie.

Yep. Baker's Field Bakery roasts the coffee for the entire resort. They only do it to order so that's why the smell isn't constant (thankfully). It can really stink up the place, when the wind is right you can smell it from as far as the shuttle area.

justagrrl
10-22-2002, 05:41 AM
Funny - I thought it was supposed to be there. Oddly enough, I always enjoyed the smell of coffee roasting when I'd encountered it before.

If it was something that they were funneling in, I was going to suggest they change the odor to that lovely "orange tree" smell instead. I love that one.

idesign
10-22-2002, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Polar33
Yep. Baker's Field Bakery roasts the coffee for the entire resort.
The whole resort?... That's kinda kool. But is that to say that the Blue Bibbon bakery is getting fresh roasted beans?.. I hope so, because that's my favorite coffee.

But you knwo what? It's the ubiquitous food smell of New Orleans Square that bothers me. I guess it's a gumbo-frying combo smell or something. I can't stand it, and sometimes I can smell it in the entire park.

But I do like the smell of roasting coffee, but burned would be bad...

Doodle Duck
10-22-2002, 08:07 AM
The rotten egg smell on the Splash cue was front and center last Thursday. P freakin U! It was in the covered wood part that goes along the street across from POOH... hey, that's appropriate.
Pretty gross. :confused:

RStar
10-22-2002, 08:23 AM
The "roasting coffee" "smell" is there, I heard, to add to the ambiance of the train depot. Back when the main way to get to CA was by that Silver Streak train, the main smell at the station was the coffee. I wished they would work on it to get it to smell better, but if they are accually roasting their own beans (which surprises me that they would go that far) then that explains why they can't fix it. And I guess they do it there so they can pump the smell out next to the station. When the wind is blowing just right I can even smell it in DL.

I think they should get a "brewing Coffee" smell to pump out. Then it would mix with the burnt coffee smell when they roast and possibly make it more palitable.

Morrigoon
10-22-2002, 12:47 PM
knowing how well recieved the coffee is at Redd Rocketts, which, btw is "bag-in-the-box" coffee, I find it difficult to believe they'd go to the trouble of roasting their own beans for the other areas of the park.

Lani
10-22-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
You'd think they'd have managed to get rid of the truly awful, awful smell that permeates the very entrance to their struggling new theme park!Yes yes! I always think it's a bad burnt smell, and wonder what machine they broke to produce such a foul odor. And this, coming from a true coffee fan (unfortunately, it smells like burnt ick, not coffee!).

lindyhop
10-22-2002, 02:14 PM
I noticed it as I was leaving DCA late yesterday afternoon, right by the restrooms on the way out. I never noticed it before. It smelled wrong, like someone goofed, not like something you would want people to smell.

Traci
10-22-2002, 03:05 PM
It's great that someone started this thread. You know I have smelled that smelll since day one of going to DCA. My friend always complains, and she said the other day her boss typed 30 minutes instead of 3 minutes to heat his coffee up in the microwave, and she said her whole office smelled just like DCA! I thought that was hilarious. I'll take a pumped in vanilla icecream smell or waffle cone smell over that one anyday.

mrcoffee
10-22-2002, 03:31 PM
I personally like the coffee smell.. Then again, my homepage is http://www.icedlatte.com , so..

But I did notice, while having some fritters at the place next to Pirates (the window that servers gumbo.. Don't know the name) that a cast member was going in through the side door with an armfull of coffee Starbuck-sized coffee bags that had the resort logo on it, so I'm guessing it was probably done at DCA..

Thomas

disguy
10-22-2002, 03:39 PM
We have noticed this several times when going to DCA. I once rather loudly asked my friend what that smell could be..and the security standing by just laughed. So that makes me curious if it really is somthing known to the resort. Whatever it is it's not pleasent.

RStar
10-22-2002, 04:40 PM
I think we could get them to do something about it. All we have to do is all go down there and carry an open can of vegetable soup under our coats, go in the gate and exclaim "Oh, what is that awfull smell! I'm going to be sick!" then lean over spilling the soup onto the ground while making vomit noises. If a couple hundred people do that I bet they would do something about that smell!;)

Disclaimer*I am just kidding. Kids, don't try this at home. *

Kevin Yee
10-22-2002, 05:30 PM
We've discussed the burnt coffee on MousePlanet before (and I think even MousePad long ago).

It's so prominent near the entry plaza because the smell is piped, intentionally or otherwise, out a vent near the Engine Ears Toys entrance. You can see the vent, fairly close to the GG Bridge. It used to be caked in brown goo, and was cleaned up earlier this year.

The Splash Mtn smell is the sewer system, nothing more and nothing less. Affecting its pungency are a lot of factors, the most important of which are the volume of (and time since) the last major amounts of water were sent that way (usually overnight hoses or watering), as well as the current wind conditions.

You can get a DL sewer smell in various locations. There's often a fairly nasty one near the West Side Tunnel at Main Entrance as well.

And TL has its share of sewer odors.

Unfortunately, there's no quick fix for the sewers. I don't know about the coffee smell - could that vent be blocked easily?

Also, to say that they brew coffee for the entire resort is a pretty big claim to make. I happen to know that restaurants still brew their own. Do you mean ODV coffee?

Sheila
10-22-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Kevin Yee
Also, to say that they brew coffee for the entire resort is a pretty big claim to make. I happen to know that restaurants still brew their own. Do you mean ODV coffee?

Kev, maybe you can clear this up for me: I thought the entire resort went to the Nescafe instant coffee instead of brewed? (Well, it certainly tastes like instant, which I despise.)

Edited to remove comment about Starbucks coffee being served in the park -- I misread an earlier post. Oops.

I am assuming the only places you can get brewed coffee any more are at the Blue Ribbon Bakery on Main Street and Baker's Field Bakery at DCA? Any coffee-knowledgeable folks out there?

Sheila