PDA

View Full Version : How does Disneyland know if my child is 2 not 3?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

tonytone
08-05-2008, 06:53 AM
So, back to the topic at hand...Disney allows for this flexibility and empowers its front line personnel (the CM's) to use their discretion in handling the situation. If they feel it is a flagrant violation of the rules, they can call you on it. But they can also choose to let it go.

Hopefully, this is a different way of looking at things...
I think the issue is that of a moral and/or ethical standpoint on the parent's part--if you attempt to pass your 3-YO as a 2-YO and the CM doesn't call you on it (i.e., let you pass)...does that mean you did nothing wrong...or that such actions should be considered acceptable? IOW--if the CM lets you go...does that mean you didn't do anything wrong, from a moral/ethical standpoint?

I'll pull up the speeding argument again--if a cop pulls you over for speeding and subsequently lets you go with just a warning instead of giving you a ticket...do you tell yourself that it must be acceptable to speed since you didn't get busted?

Or is it that some people adhere to the "It ain't illegal unless you get caught" philosophy? ;)

HisKid
08-05-2008, 07:29 AM
On the topic of speeding, however, I am not taking my life into my own hands if I don't sneak my 3yo into DL as a 2yo the same way that I am if I attempt to drive 65 in the carpool lane, lol.

I don't have an SUV riding my tail through the gates threatening to crawl up my backside if I don't get my 3yo in there for free, hehe.

disneyprincessLV
08-05-2008, 08:27 PM
It is also very bad karma to lie about your kids, in front of your kids and at the Happiest Place on Earth. I have enough problems in life without risking bad karma coming back on me.

excellent point! my opinion is if you cant afford another children's ticket(which starts as low as $59!!) you shouldnt be going to DL to begin with. dont lie, it will come back to haunt you!

Serendipity
08-06-2008, 08:13 AM
I have a simple solution for this problem... any child still in a stroller can't come in. Everyone else pays for a ticket. :D

Why? Because I'm tired of getting run over by all the mothers (and some fathers) who think they can use their strollers as bulldozers. It is not my fault people in front of me can't walk faster! I think this ban should take effect everywhere. As well, if you can't manage to not run people over with a shopping cart during Christmas season you get that taken away too.

Do I think Disney cares if you pass your 3 year old off as 2? No. Why do I think this? If Disney really cared as much as this thread does, would they not make everyone provide proof? Your child's ticket would essentially be their birth certificate.

adriennek
08-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Why? Because I'm tired of getting run over by all the mothers (and some fathers) who think they can use their strollers as bulldozers. It is not my fault people in front of me can't walk faster! I think this ban should take effect everywhere. As well, if you can't manage to not run people over with a shopping cart during Christmas season you get that taken away too.

And here we go again...

Adrienne

Malcon10t
08-06-2008, 03:25 PM
And here we go again...

AdrienneIf only we could ban the people who think strollers/wheelchairs/ECVs leave space between them and the guest in front of them so that "they" have space to cut in a walkway. I will never forget the guy who literally stepped over MDM's legs in a wheelchair so he could get to Star Tours a split second sooner. Or the man who got mad at me last trip because he must have thought I could stop instantly on the ECV when he stepped in front of me, and I couldn't stop instantly.

adriennek
08-06-2008, 04:50 PM
If only we could ban the people who think strollers/wheelchairs/ECVs leave space between them and the guest in front of them so that "they" have space to cut in a walkway. I will never forget the guy who literally stepped over MDM's legs in a wheelchair so he could get to Star Tours a split second sooner. Or the man who got mad at me last trip because he must have thought I could stop instantly on the ECV when he stepped in front of me, and I couldn't stop instantly.

I'm sitting on this side of the couch. :)

As long as we ban the people who also think that space between my stroller and my husband is a convenient place to "cut in' thus separating me from my husband and then they turn around look very RUDELY at me when I say "Excuse me, that's my husband up there and I need to catch up to him." What was I SUPPOSED to do?

I really WANTED to hit their ankles at that point. :~D

Adrienne

cstephens
08-06-2008, 05:33 PM
And here we go again...

No, I'm not doing it, I'm out of that business.

Katlovett
08-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Do I think Disney cares if you pass your 3 year old off as 2? No. Why do I think this? If Disney really cared as much as this thread does, would they not make everyone provide proof? Your child's ticket would essentially be their birth certificate.
In contrast to Disneyland, airlines care a lot and they DO make you bring your child's birth certificate. I once saw an airline (I think it was Southwest but could have been Northwest) force a young couple with a tiny baby that looked about two weeks old, to buy a ticket for the baby because they didn't have the baby's birth certificate. :eek:

Movie theatres don't care much, restaurants with kids menus don't care much, hotels don't care much, I think in general that places with flexible capacity don't care much how old the kids are.

HisKid
08-06-2008, 06:14 PM
In contrast to Disneyland, airlines care a lot and they DO make you bring your child's birth certificate. I once saw an airline (I think it was Southwest but could have been Northwest) force a young couple with a tiny baby that looked about two weeks old, to buy a ticket for the baby because they didn't have the baby's birth certificate. :eek:

Nice. And have you EVER forgotten how petty and inflexible and punitive and all-out ridiculous they were that day? I'm guessing this couple never did, and have probably told thousands of people by now, lol. Jack people around like THAT, and you may get your stupid fare, but you are going to be burning bridges with people, in a ripple effect.

tchatters
08-06-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm sitting on this side of the couch. :)

As long as we ban the people who also think that space between my stroller and my husband is a convenient place to "cut in' thus separating me from my husband and then they turn around look very RUDELY at me when I say "Excuse me, that's my husband up there and I need to catch up to him." What was I SUPPOSED to do?

I really WANTED to hit their ankles at that point. :~D

Adrienne

While we're banning, let's ban everyone who has no respect for personal space. I'd prefer to have my son who is 5 in the stroller- he's SAFER there! Our last trip, two different occasions, people tried to literally step over him. He's 46 inches (I know he just fit on Indy!) so he's not exactly tiny or invisible. We also had people cut push between me holding his hand and "accidentally" separate us.

On crowded nights, he goes either up on dad's shoulders or in the stroller. It's the only way to guarantee he actually gets out of the park alive!

cstephens
08-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Movie theatres don't care much, restaurants with kids menus don't care much, hotels don't care much, I think in general that places with flexible capacity don't care much how old the kids are.

Since Disney doesn't generally demand that adults prove the ages of the children who accompany them and are reliant mostly on the honesty and integrity of the adults whether to buy a ticket or not for the child, I guess it's ok to lie about the child's age then and not get them a ticket.

newhdplayer
08-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Since Disney doesn't generally demand that adults prove the ages of the children who accompany them and are reliant mostly on the honesty and integrity of the adults whether to buy a ticket or not for the child, I guess it's ok to lie about the child's age then and not get them a ticket.

never mind

Serendipity
08-07-2008, 07:16 AM
While we're banning, let's ban everyone who has no respect for personal space.

Those are the people I'm talking about. I'm not talking about the mothers who are simply walking and they accidently hit someone because that person darted in front of them.

I'm talking about the mothers who think they can literally use their strollers as bulldozers like when I'm walking minding my own business (not darting in front of anyone) and a mother comes up and slams into my ankles. When I'm obviously in pain and look up at her she gives me a rude look like I was in her way and too bad. Does she even fake apologize? NO!

Do I seriously think there should be a ban on strollers? No! Come on people lighten up. I'd keep my child in a stroller at Disneyland too.

Malcon10t
08-07-2008, 07:42 AM
I'm talking about the mothers who think they can literally use their strollers as bulldozers like when I'm walking minding my own business (not darting in front of anyone) and a mother comes up and slams into my ankles.
In over 50 trips, I've never had that happen to me, and I have never seen anyone hit who didn't cut in front of the stroller/wheelchair/ECV. I know people complain about it, but like the guy last trip who glared at me, he stepped in front of me from my right, there was no way to stop before hitting him. My kids are adults and we don't use strollers, but they get a bad rap.

Katlovett
08-07-2008, 10:30 AM
You seem to have misunderstood the point of my post. I was posting about what sorts of business force patrons to hassle with bringing birth certificates and what businesses usually do not. Personally, I have large children that appear older than their actual age (my 3 year old is the size of a 5 year old and my 5 year old is the size of an 8 year old.) When they were young enough to fly free on airlines, I always brought along their official certified birth certificates because I knew, from what I had previously seen, that I would be required to prove their ages. I have never had the same hassle at Disneyland or the other establishments I mentioned in my post.

I did NOT endorse people lying about their child's age at Disneyland. I was merely observing that Disneyland did not generally demand that you produce each child's birth certificate to prove their entitlement to free/reduced price admission. Hopefully, parental fraud will not become so commonplace that they do start requiring birth certificates like they require proof of residency for the southern California discounts or military ID for discounted military tickets etc.

rds912
08-07-2008, 11:21 AM
we are frequent Disneyland guest but every few years we go to WDW. Las t time we went the AKL had deluxe rooms that would hold five, now those are DVC rooms. So a place to stay for 5 would be at a moderate resort, but since my youngest will have just turned three, we are going to say she is 2 on the reservation so she can get the same experience the others have has which is a savanah view room, she can wake up and see the animals outside her room in the morning. The difference is my lie is costing me a few thousand dollars more vs staying in a moderate resort.

P.S. we are still going to buy her a park ticket, so I will not be "cheating" the system

rds912
08-07-2008, 11:31 AM
ANd while we are on the subject of groups and behavior, I have a question for Malcon10t. My family was in the park in early juneand there was a group a people with dog with vests on. The vest read"service dog in training" It did not appear that anyone in the group of people was visually impared, so I assume that it was a group of trainers. Does Disney allow these groups to come into the parks to train the dogs. Is this to get them use to crowds. The dogs were extremely well behaived. My compliments to trainers.

Malcon10t
08-07-2008, 11:53 AM
we are frequent Disneyland guest but every few years we go to WDW. Las t time we went the AKL had deluxe rooms that would hold five, now those are DVC rooms. So a place to stay for 5 would be at a moderate resort, but since my youngest will have just turned three, we are going to say she is 2 on the reservation so she can get the same experience the others have has which is a savanah view room, she can wake up and see the animals outside her room in the morning. The difference is my lie is costing me a few thousand dollars more vs staying in a moderate resort.

P.S. we are still going to buy her a park ticket, so I will not be "cheating" the systemSo, what you are saying is you are putting 5 in a room the fire marshal has stated can only accommodate 4?

Malcon10t
08-07-2008, 12:10 PM
ANd while we are on the subject of groups and behavior, I have a question for Malcon10t. My family was in the park in early juneand there was a group a people with dog with vests on. The vest read"service dog in training" It did not appear that anyone in the group of people was visually impared, so I assume that it was a group of trainers. Does Disney allow these groups to come into the parks to train the dogs. Is this to get them use to crowds. The dogs were extremely well behaived. My compliments to trainers.Yes. Disney is very accommodating to the trainers. We are asked if there is anything a CM can do to assist us with training, We get asked what can they do to make it easier on disabled guests with dogs, and we can even take our pups to the first aid area for down time if needed. Different organizations use different color vests.

We love Disneyland. It is a FANTASTIC training location. And for our organization, Disneyland donates a considerable sum to aid in training financially. Pluto comes to a graduation with check in paw. It is a blast. Employees backstage save recycling for us, and we have had a CM tell us "I bring my cans to recycle for your pup!"

My best memory - Disneyland's 50th. We were at the signings and were in line for Diane Disney Miller. (We, along with the dog and a lot of others, waited a LONG time.) We were told as we entered the room "No pictures." Finally it was our turn to get the book autographed. She signs then says "Oh, you have a CCI puppy, can I pet it?" It turned into a 5 minute pet/love fest with her on the floor (in a DRESS) petting our pup and playing! She allowed us pictures, and my darling son "snapped" a few... To bad he didn't know how to work the camera, as he was pushing the button only 1/2 way, and we didn't get ANY.... Sorry to those we held up in line, but it was nice!!!

rds912
08-07-2008, 12:10 PM
no, the fire mashal did not say it wll not accomidate 5, the reservation state 2 adults 2 children one infant. I dont believe the fire marshal says ok 2 years 364 days ok the next day it is a fre hazard. When I plug in the ages of the children it will let me make a res with 2 adults 3 kids ages 9,6 and 2 for that room change the age to 2 adults 3 kids ages 9,6 and 3 no room. Its a bedding issue not a fire marshal issue, otherwise disney could net sell that room to the same family with a kid one day younger, like i said its costing me more money, not less.

rds912
08-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Congratulation, I think what you all do with those dogs are wonderful, one a side note maybe you can start another business and make some new vest "guest in training" I know our stroller has trampled more than a few tmis with ore children in it.

Malcon10t
08-07-2008, 12:18 PM
no, the fire mashal did not say it wll not accomidate 5, the reservation state 2 adults 2 children one infant. Usually, the fire marshal sets the room capacity for hotels. My concern was strictly from a safety standpoint. However, you do have her listed as in the room, so should something happen, they do know to expect her in the room and count her on an evac. I've seen people so desperate to stay at DLH they will say "2 adults, 3 children", then they put 7-8 adults/teens/kids in a room where the fire marshal has said 5. But, they can't afford 2 rooms or a suite. "My kids don't mind sleeping on the floor." They don't understand that should the hotel be evac'ed as in a fire, and they don't have a proper head count, it can be a problem. And fire marshals don't include under 3 in their counts, so you could have twins under 3 and be fine.

rds912
08-07-2008, 12:51 PM
yes I see your point, but as you said she will be listed on the res as we are doing a package, then we are going to add her ticket at the gate. I am just trying to give my kids the best experience we can. The first time we went to AKL, my son did not know there were animals there until he woke up and looked out the window and saw a giraffe, that was better than any ride we went on that trip.

rds912
08-07-2008, 12:54 PM
P.S. we are going in october, so hurricanes and rude guests concern me more than fires do.