PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly River Run observation point

Bounty8111
07-23-2008, 05:49 PM
During my long awaited return to disneyland after several years this past week, me and my friend found that one of the more entertaining things to do is to sit just adjacent to the walkway bridge leading into the Grizzly Peak Rec area trail and watch that one jet of water that will shoot straight up and nail Grizzly River Run rafts about 20% of the time.

Am I the only one that does this? If anyone else does this, isn't it irritating that it only does this to a raft about once every five or six rafts? Just when a raft comes drifting through that you know you'd get an entertaining reaction from the occupants, they manage to slip by without getting hit...

Just curious if i'm the only one. Me and my friend had a pretty entertaining time just hanging out at that spot and watching people's reactions.

Bytebear
07-23-2008, 06:28 PM
That's one of my favorite things to do. That geyser can soak a dry boat. Nothing is more entertaining.

curtsinore
07-23-2008, 07:59 PM
20% ?? We were there at thanksgiving and the ratio was 80% 2 out of ten didn't get soaked. We got soaked every time going over the geyeser. Is it possible that there are more rafts in the summer therefore decreasing the odds of getting soaked? We watched at night after leaving WWS and were just amazed at how drenched folks were getting, with no protective clothing in the night chill

Bounty8111
07-23-2008, 09:08 PM
20% was probably a bad estimation, but like i said, having sat there about half an hour, one out of every five or six rafts would get hit. The rest were either narrow misses or nowhere close. And being a peak summer weekend during the day, i'm sure they were running quite a few rafts.

Bytebear
07-24-2008, 08:54 AM
The do have the ability to change the frequency of the eruption. They generally lower it on cooler days. Maybe it got stuck on the "soak" setting.

dznyphreak
07-24-2008, 03:42 PM
I do it too! It is one of the funniest things at DCA.

As for the frequency, I know for a fact that it changes. If you look closely, there are sensors in the rocks that pick up when a raft is about to come over the geyser. The three scenarios I've seen are 1) The geyser never goes off. 2) Passing the first sensor turns on the geyser, and the second (right before the geyser) turns it off. Major letdown. 3) The geyser turns on at the second sensor, just before they get there and think they're safe. :~D

aznewsboy
07-24-2008, 08:11 PM
If I'm waiting to get a picture of family I enjoy watching others get soaked.

Before my hubby & I got married we enjoyed places that had rides like that where you could pay a quarter & blast people yourself. I remember doing that in Vegas a LONG time ago. Good times....

Catcherman22
07-25-2008, 05:12 PM
I found this while waiting for friends to get off grizzly and it was so much fun.

10-97
07-26-2008, 06:35 PM
A few years ago, my kids asked me if they could get in the single-rider line at GRR. I said yes, and decided to watch them from the bridge. The lines were short, and they ended up riding about ten times. They even were allowed to stay on the same raft with some other kids their age.

I think I had as much fun watching them as they did riding the rafts. When we went back to the hotel, they were soaked. We still talk about what a good time we had.

Franz
07-28-2008, 01:02 PM
This last Spring my DS and I made a special GRR-only entry to the park right at opening so we could avoid the long lines. We carried nothing in our pockets and only clothes we knew we wouldn't need for the rest of the trip (including shoes just for the occasion). With little or no lines, we rode the rafts repeatedly for quite a while that morning.

As for the original intent of this thread, yes, there clearly is a setting for the geyser on cool mornings where fewer rafts get hit. We only got hit 1 time (of course it was just as my son was lamenting "i wonder what it's like when the geyser goes off directly under your boat?" - ya we found out in buckets about 2 seconds later).

As for the "completely soaked" stories on the thread - been there, done that, got the shirt - and the photpass photo to prove it. I couldn't have been more soaked if i had jumped in the lake and swam around fully clothed for 10 minutes!

(BTW - it was a blast. I highly recommend "planning on getting soaked " for anyone who wants to see their teen laugh, scream and finally succumb to the realization that Dad is NEVER going get off this ride until the kid cries uncle and admits that he's the one that wants to go get dry clothes. - insert eveil laugh here!)

TTFN92
07-31-2008, 07:37 AM
Before my hubby & I got married we enjoyed places that had rides like that where you could pay a quarter & blast people yourself. I remember doing that in Vegas a LONG time ago. Good times....

You can do that at WDWs Kali River Rapids. I don't think you had to pay money though. We went on it in Feb. and it was cold. It was the ride my DS was so excited to do though so we couldn't let him down. It was a walk on and they even let us go on it twice without getting off. I took my youngest DS and watched the others on the 2nd time though. One soaking was enough for me, even with a pancho on ;). I really think that theirs gets you more wet. On GRR you spin going down the hill which kind of gets the water out of the way but on KRR you just go down straight. I was on the opposite side and saw this HUGE wall of water come over the top :eek:. I actually got that another time :(.