PDA

View Full Version : Annual Pass [how does it work]

Pages : [1] 2

HauntedKid
07-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Please Forgive My Ignorance...but How Does It Works(THE ANNUAL PASS THING)...i Go To Disneyland A Lot..so Maybe This Could Be Good For Me...any Answer..thanx

Andrew
07-22-2008, 02:09 PM
It's a ticket that works for a year. If you'll be going to the Resort enough days over the next year to make it financially worthwhile, it's a good idea.

My wife and I live in the SF Bay Area, 400 miles away and visit DLR six times a year for two or three days each time. We maintain Premium APs because it still works out cheaper than buying Park Hoppers for each visit.

oohykitten
07-22-2008, 03:05 PM
My wife and I live in the SF Bay Area, 400 miles away and visit DLR six times a year for two or three days each time.

With gas the way it is, we might want to look into carpool's :D

Andrew
07-22-2008, 03:09 PM
With gas the way it is, we might want to look into carpool's :D
Not a bad idea. Do you play MouseAdventure?

DisneyDustin22
07-23-2008, 07:47 AM
Having an AP is like having a Blackberry or iPhone. Once you get one, life is never the same.

Those that have either know what I mean. ;)

Matterhorn Yodeler
07-23-2008, 10:17 AM
There are four levels of Annual Passes for Disneyland. Two are exclusively for residents of Southern California. They are as follows:

1) Southern California Select - $129 Valid for 170 days during the year.
2) Southern California - $169 Valid for 215 days during the year.
3) Deluxe - $259 Valid for 315 days during the year.
4) Premium - $379 Valid for 365 days during the year.

In addition to the entry days, you get the benefit of 10% off of food purchases at many restaurants in the parks on the first three. You can add annual free parking for $59.

The premium gives you free parking at Mickey & Friends ($12 per day) and 15% off of food purchases, plus 10% off of merchandise purchases at many stores.

Here is a link to the Disney website:

https://secure-disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/ap/index?name=AnnualPassholderGatewayPage&appRedirect=https://secure-disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/ap/gated/landing?name=AnnualPassholderLandingPage

Depending on where you live, will determine if you can even purchase the first two. Next, you should consider the days you might be blacked out. You can purchase a ticket on any of those days for $40.

Many people start small and upgrade their passes as they go. The thing to remember about that is that your year begins with the first use of the first ticket media. In other words, if you upgrade a 3 day park hopper to a deluxe AP (before you leave the park on the third day) then later on in the year upgrade to a premium, your expiration date will still be a year after you first entered on your park hopper.

Hope this is helpful. If you have specific questions, please feel free to ask.

sendkeys
07-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Are there any sales or any way to get the Deluxe pass for cheaper?

Malcon10t
07-24-2008, 05:13 AM
Are there any sales or any way to get the Deluxe pass for cheaper?If you belong to DVC, they offer $20 off.

Another way, I buy a 3 day park hopper from my Credit Union for $15 off the regular price. When I upgrade, they give me full value, so reality is, I save $15 on the AP.

sendkeys
07-24-2008, 05:35 AM
Ahh that's a good idea Malcon10t :)

Does anyone know the printed value on a AAA 5day hopper?

Malcon10t
07-24-2008, 05:43 AM
Ahh that's a good idea Malcon10t :)

Does anyone know the printed value on a AAA 5day hopper?The ones at my local office are $194. They usually are purchased from WDTC for AAA.

MuckaMowie
07-24-2008, 06:41 AM
We manage to re-new each year with the Disney Visa card Reward dollars. We charge almost everything on it (including our Europe vacation this year) and pay it off every month. The results have been that for two premium passports, we end up adding only about $50 to our "order" online when we renew. We've done this for the past 4 years:)

sendkeys
07-24-2008, 08:16 PM
The ones at my local office are $194. They usually are purchased from WDTC for AAA.

I went down to AAA today and got 2 of them. We were just going to get one ap and one 5day. Now we can use the early entry and save 10 bucks on the ap :) thanks again

HobbitFeet
07-24-2008, 08:20 PM
I went down to AAA today and got 2 of them. We were just going to get one ap and one 5day. Now we can use the early entry and save 10 bucks on the ap :) thanks again

In all likelihood, the "upgrade value" of those tickets will just be 194, and you'll end up paying the total cost of the AP you upgrade to anyway.

Malcon10t (omg just "heard" your username, LOL) was talking about something probably specific to her credit union where she pays less than the amount encoded on the ticket. I don't think that's the norm.

sendkeys
07-24-2008, 08:40 PM
In all likelihood, the "upgrade value" of those tickets will just be 194, and you'll end up paying the total cost of the AP you upgrade to anyway.

AAA tickets are only 184.30 with a printed value of 194. It should work :) Even if it doesn't i end up with a no extra cost and a early entry :) Got to love the free parking . But i was going to get that no matter what, as i only need one ap.

Leofoenget
07-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Please Forgive My Ignorance...but How Does It Works(THE ANNUAL PASS THING)...i Go To Disneyland A Lot..so Maybe This Could Be Good For Me...any Answer..thanx

If you were to get 2 2 day hoppers it would pay for itself. I am going in December for 2 days and again in June. Those 2 day hoppers would cost me about $288 an AP is $259. It 's worth it IMO

Khiori
07-25-2008, 06:48 AM
This seems to be an appropriate thread for my question regarding my new AP, as of yet - unredeemed.

My dad got me the So Cal Select AP from the Disney Store in Torrance for my birthday (along with one for my DH) He sent us the plastic cards and the receipt for what he paid. I plan on having our trip mid-Sept. Anyway, do we go to the ticket kiosk and show them the tickets/receipt or just go straight to the entrance gates in order to get in (and then get our pics taken and the official AP done)?

Matterhorn Yodeler
07-25-2008, 09:53 AM
This seems to be an appropriate thread for my question regarding my new AP, as of yet - unredeemed.

My dad got me the So Cal Select AP from the Disney Store in Torrance for my birthday (along with one for my DH) He sent us the plastic cards and the receipt for what he paid. I plan on having our trip mid-Sept. Anyway, do we go to the ticket kiosk and show them the tickets/receipt or just go straight to the entrance gates in order to get in (and then get our pics taken and the official AP done)?

I bought our AP's at the Disney Store (came in a great Holiday container!) and then we just went straight up to the entry gates. The plastic card works there and in the Fast Pass machines. Toward the end of the day, when the line at the bank was not so long, we got our photos taken and received our regular annual pass.

Remember, when activating your new AP, you can use it on any day, even if it is a blackout day! Your year starts on its first use.

Have a great time!

bielski
07-25-2008, 09:19 PM
"Remember, when activating your new AP, you can use it on any day, even if it is a blackout day! Your year starts on its first use."

Does the same hold true for renewals? We have a regular SoCal AP not a Select. Friends want to go on a Sat. and a Sun. Can I renew on a Sat. use the "new AP" day and then use it again on Sunday?

Chadsgal
07-26-2008, 12:56 PM
We used to go for 7days and it was cheeper to buy an AP than a 5day & 2day pass. This will be my first time as an AP where I am acutally using it for two trips!!! :D I've had 3 or 4 of them now.

Matterhorn Yodeler
07-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Does the same hold true for renewals? We have a regular SoCal AP not a Select. Friends want to go on a Sat. and a Sun. Can I renew on a Sat. use the "new AP" day and then use it again on Sunday?

I am not sure about what you suggest, but maybe someone will chime in.

Here's a guess:

If you renew prior to expiration and obtain the $20 discount, then I would think that this just extends your end date by one year. All blackout days would apply.

However, if you let your AP lapse and pay full price for a new one, then you would have the benefit of entering for the first time on any day, even if it were a blackout day.

The new AP would cost you $20 more (barring any price increase), but a blackout day pass costs $40, so you would save the $20.

As I said, this is only a guess. Autopia Guy works tickets at DLR and could give you a definitive answer. Also several others including Darkbeer and Malcon10t are very knowledgable about the "ins and outs" of AP's.

Good luck!

Darkbeer
07-28-2008, 11:04 AM
I am not sure about what you suggest, but maybe someone will chime in.

Here's a guess:

If you renew prior to expiration and obtain the $20 discount, then I would think that this just extends your end date by one year. All blackout days would apply.

However, if you let your AP lapse and pay full price for a new one, then you would have the benefit of entering for the first time on any day, even if it were a blackout day.

The new AP would cost you $20 more (barring any price increase), but a blackout day pass costs $40, so you would save the $20.

As I said, this is only a guess. Autopia Guy works tickets at DLR and could give you a definitive answer. Also several others including Darkbeer and Malcon10t are very knowledgable about the "ins and outs" of AP's.

Good luck!

Pretty much correct, with one big BUT...

Only the Deluxe and Premium AP's get the discount.

Since there is no Discount for the 2 SoCal versions, just buy a "new" regular SoCal AP on Saturday and use it on the Blockout date, then return on Sunday (if it is not blocked out, most are not). But the key is that you have to do this after your old AP expired.

inchie317
07-29-2008, 07:27 PM
If anyone has ideas, please advise. I plan to buy 3 day park hoppers to get the early entry on a Monday. I would then upgrade to deluxe APs for the 3 of us. However, I want to check into the Disney Hotel at the AP discount rate on Sat. night. Thus, I think I would need to activate my AP to have it active at check-in?
Is there a way to make my dreams come true for myself, my wife and my 5 year old son?

Thanks for all the great advice from all of you,

Plutocracy

D15
07-29-2008, 11:15 PM
If anyone has ideas, please advise. I plan to buy 3 day park hoppers to get the early entry on a Monday. I would then upgrade to deluxe APs for the 3 of us. However, I want to check into the Disney Hotel at the AP discount rate on Sat. night. Thus, I think I would need to activate my AP to have it active at check-in?
Is there a way to make my dreams come true for myself, my wife and my 5 year old son?

Thanks for all the great advice from all of you,

Plutocracy

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe staying on-property entitles you to early entry anyway, which means you could skip the parkhopper "step", just go straight with the AP and check in with the discount on the Saturday. :) Also, I don't believe you have to have the APs at all (or have them "active") beforehand; I've booked packages that included getting the APs upon check-in and still gotten the discounts. Hope this helps, and hope you guys have a great time!

HobbitFeet
07-30-2008, 05:36 PM

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe staying on-property entitles you to early entry anyway, which means you could skip the parkhopper "step", just go straight with the AP and check in with the discount on the Saturday. :) Also, I don't believe you have to have the APs at all (or have them "active") beforehand; I've booked packages that included getting the APs upon check-in and still gotten the discounts. Hope this helps, and hope you guys have a great time!

The biggest problem with this is that "early entry", now known as Magic Mornings, isn't held on Mondays.

It's on the S and T days; Sat, Sun, Tues, and Thurs.

Exitx
07-31-2008, 07:52 PM
Is there any discount offered to guests renewing their annual passports? I currently have a premium and plan on renewing in October.