PDA

View Full Version : Policy Change at Blue Bayou?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Matterhorn Yodeler
07-21-2008, 11:09 AM
The BB won't let guests come in for just drinks and desserts anymore (or so I was told.) You have to buy a full meal. Pity that since IMO the desserts were the only thing worth going for. :rolleyes:

Is this a change in policy? Does this mean there is a minimum per person charge now for dining at the Blue Bayou?

It seems that this would drive away business late at night. I'm sure there are guests who enjoy a full meal at 9:30 PM, but many of us like that "dessert and coffee" nightcap in the wonderful atmosphere that the BB provides.

Can anyone shed some light on the policy?

Infinitely
07-21-2008, 12:11 PM
It is possible, if they find they are losing revenue, but how would they know before you ordered what you were ordering?

There is a nice restaurant around here we like to go to...but I really like the appetizers and dessert more than the entree. I asked if I could order just a couple of appetizers instead of an entree or if that would be strange, I saw told "Oh that is not strange, it is food and we all like different things...now if you asked me to serve you a cup of pencils with a side of paper-towels...THAT would be strange."

MickeyM00C0w
07-21-2008, 12:55 PM
It could be that with the popularity of the Blue Bayou, around 7:30-8:00 at night, there is no such thing as just walking in for coffee since the place is completely booked. And since it is completely booked, I can understand that they would prefer to try and get as many parties in as possible without having random drifters come in and lounge with their desserts and coffee.

My suggestion would be to call the Disneyland dining number: (714) 781-DINE. This number allows you to make reservations at any of the restaurants within Disneyland (and DCA I think). I'm sure they'd be more than happy to answer your question and verify, and you can also be smart and make your reservation, which is more than often a must if you want to dine at the Blue Bayou in the evening.

Burnt Toast
07-21-2008, 01:54 PM
If they changed it this way, then good.

Malcon10t
07-21-2008, 02:06 PM
I just contacted Disney Dining and was informed you can still go for dessert and coffee. There is no minimum.

foolishmortal
07-21-2008, 02:55 PM
thanks Malcon10t! that's good news!

candles71
07-21-2008, 03:20 PM
I knew someone would call;) Thanks

Matterhorn Yodeler
07-21-2008, 03:29 PM
I just contacted Disney Dining and was informed you can still go for dessert and coffee. There is no minimum.

Thanks Malcon10t. I appreciate your checking. Going to DL as often as we are currently going, it's really the atmosphere of the BB that is so great, and dessert and coffee is the way to experience it without breaking the budget!

adriennek
07-21-2008, 03:45 PM
I can't imagine how they would enforce that policy. I could sort of imagine a minimum per-person charge, but I imagine that would go over like a giant lead balloon and would be very hard for them to enforce given the environment.

Thanks for calling, M10t.

Adrienne

Mermaid
07-21-2008, 04:10 PM
We just went yesterday for dessert and they did not bat an eye at us. Mmmmm...... cookie boat!!

Disneymademoiselle
07-21-2008, 04:57 PM
I don't know how long ago they changed this, but when we were there in mid-June, they didn't give each of us a salad when we split the Monte Cristo. When we questioned the waitress, she told us that they no longer give salad/soup with a split charge.

It wouldn't really be a big deal if they weren't still charging for the split plate. Why not just tack on an extra dollar or two then? It's just a little weird to me that they'd offer the salad/soup, but not have it split for both people :confused:

cstephens
07-21-2008, 05:02 PM
I wonder who's spreading the word then that Blue Bayou isn't allowing just appetizers or desserts? It's amazing sometimes what gets passed along as true when it's just stuff being made up.

Crazy4DL
07-21-2008, 07:11 PM
We just went yesterday for dessert !!

:eek: . . . without us!?!? :p

I am so glad to hear that you are still able to stop in at the BB for dessert and drinks. Thanks from me too, Malcon10t - for calling for us all.

Escape2Disney
07-21-2008, 08:34 PM
When I called the reservation line, I was told that they wouldn't book a dessert only reservation. So I asked her "if I book a reservation for dinner, and we decide to only eat dessert, would there be a problem?" She laughed and told me it wouldn't be a problem.

It seems that the answer is different depending on who you speak to.

dkthepainter
07-21-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't know how long ago they changed this, but when we were there in mid-June, they didn't give each of us a salad when we split the Monte Cristo. When we questioned the waitress, she told us that they no longer give salad/soup with a split charge.

It wouldn't really be a big deal if they weren't still charging for the split plate. Why not just tack on an extra dollar or two then? It's just a little weird to me that they'd offer the salad/soup, but not have it split for both people :confused:

My friend and I split the Monte Cristo for lunch on the 13th of June and they gave us two salads, without us having to ask. I just assumed it would be so since they are charging the extra money to split (how they expect any one person to be able to eat the whole thing is crazy to me anyway. It's huge!). Strange.:confused:

Flour Girl
07-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Is this a change in policy? Does this mean there is a minimum per person charge now for dining at the Blue Bayou?

It seems that this would drive away business late at night. I'm sure there are guests who enjoy a full meal at 9:30 PM, but many of us like that "dessert and coffee" nightcap in the wonderful atmosphere that the BB provides.

Can anyone shed some light on the policy?

Just an FYI: this was told to me by a BB lead. I was in the park as a guest and went to do a walk-in at BB since they weren't too busy. The lead who greeted us said walk-ins were fine (at the time) but we had to order at least one meal or an appetizer; that 'we don't do just desserts and drinks anymore.'

This may only be the case when the park is busy. I wonder if they'd have said the same if we were already seated and ordering? It'd seem very un-disney if they just up and refused to serve us at that point. I'll see if I can confirm anything with the NO area manager next week. Said manager would probably be a safer bet than the dining line or a lead.

Matterhorn Yodeler
07-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Just an FYI: this was told to me by a BB lead. I was in the park as a guest and went to do a walk-in at BB since they weren't too busy. The lead who greeted us said walk-ins were fine (at the time) but we had to order at least one meal or an appetizer; that 'we don't do just desserts and drinks anymore.'

This may only be the case when the park is busy. I wonder if they'd have said the same if we were already seated and ordering? It'd seem very un-disney if they just up and refused to serve us at that point. I'll see if I can confirm anything with the NO area manager next week. Said manager would probably be a safer bet than the dining line or a lead.

Thanks for checking further. This does not seem to make sense as a policy change. If they have room for walk-ins, then why would they turn away someone only interested in dessert and coffee?

Since BB is so popular, I could understand a minimum per person charge (although this would likely drive many away), but a restriction on what you can order sounds crazy and almost impossible to enforce. If I make a PS reservation 60 days in advance, are they going to ask me what I plan to order prior to giving me my reservation? If I show up and only order desserts and drinks will they refuse service?

Anyway, I'll be interested to hear what you find out, although for the time being, I'm going to assume it was an officious BB lead making up this restriction...not policy.

Thanks.

Disneymademoiselle
07-22-2008, 10:18 PM
I just assumed it would be so since they are charging the extra money to split (how they expect any one person to be able to eat the whole thing is crazy to me anyway. It's huge!). Strange.:confused:

I heard that loud and clear. We'll see what happens when were back in September.

tonytone
07-24-2008, 10:14 AM
That happened to us during our July 4th trip; my wife was wondering the same thing too when the CM brought out only one serving of soup/salad rather than splitting them. Guess it's just another way for Disney to combat the rising cost of goods; can't say I blame them but still...

charpaul
07-24-2008, 11:17 AM
I am wondering if they will still do the split soup/salad for lunch, but not for dinner???
Either way it seems strange that they still seem to do it sometimes and not others...

cstephens
07-24-2008, 12:25 PM
I am wondering if they will still do the split soup/salad for lunch, but not for dinner???
Either way it seems strange that they still seem to do it sometimes and not others...

Or it may be a case of the servers not being properly informed/trained. One of the biggest complaints I have about Disney is inconsistency - what the rule is often depends on who you ask.

Nancy
07-26-2008, 08:24 AM
Or it may be a case of the servers not being properly informed/trained. One of the biggest complaints I have about Disney is inconsistency - what the rule is often depends on who you ask.

I agree!

What's the difference if they toss a bit of salad in an extra bowl when two people split a sandwich? Two people would be happy, it's good PR but we would have nothing to complain about.

mohavewolfpup
07-30-2008, 02:11 AM
That happened to us during our July 4th trip; my wife was wondering the same thing too when the CM brought out only one serving of soup/salad rather than splitting them. Guess it's just another way for Disney to combat the rising cost of goods; can't say I blame them but still...

you would be amazed at how much they throw out food waste wise.... it's not hurting disney at all. Think of the purchasing power they hold with companies and the companies that would want to do big business with this giant.

Their prices frankly offend me with the portions offered, decided to order a spicy chicken burger from the tommorrowland terrace, $6 or so later I ended up with a tiny piece of chicken that would make a postage stamp blush and a tiny amount of frys. Considering i've cleaned that kitchen before and seen the massive piles of frys thrown behind the fryers on purpose, it's a joke.

2 days later I went to carls junior and for 99 cents I got a spicy chicken sandwich, big leaf of lettuce, huge chicken patty that actually covered the whole bun, etc.... epic fail disney :p

disney rules of thumb lately

if new construction in restaurant = major price hike and portion shrinkage (riverbelle terrace)

if menu change in restaurant = major price hike and portion shrinkage

major changes really need to happen in the restaurants around the park, it's why I always hestitate on trying the blue bayou. i'm not shelling out that much money and waiting for hours just to end up with a portion amount fit for a 2 year old...

Nancy
07-30-2008, 03:13 PM
A friend and I are taking our families to DL in Nov. ( Our annual trek) and she wants to go to BB to celebrate my (our) birthday(s) Anyway I'm really conflicted on going there. You can't beat the atmosphere but is it worth the price, portions, etc?????

candles71
07-30-2008, 03:21 PM
We thought so.