PDA

View Full Version : New Rides/Missing Properties

Hydroman
10-20-2002, 08:29 AM
What got me wondering about this topic was the fact that they are finnally getting around to building a Pooh ride at DL more than 30 years after the first Disney - Pooh movies. It seems that there are a number of other Disney properties that could serve as the basis for a ride ... and that would fit thematically within DL, or even DCA. Some suggestions:

101 Dalmatians ... Critter Country
Aristocats ... Critter Country
Bambi ... Critter Country
Jungle Book ... Adventureland
Lady and the Tramp ... Main Street
The Love Bug ... SF Dist. at DCA
Lion King ... Adventureland
Atlantis ... Tommorowland
Cinderella ... Fantasyland

Alternatively, I suppose these "themes" could be saved for the third park. Any thoughts/insights?

cstephens
10-20-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Hydroman

There's a restaurant called Tony's on Main Street at the Magic Kingdom that's themed to Lady and the Tramp.

tabacco
10-20-2002, 02:32 PM
What about Mary Poppins? I always thought it deserved an attraction.

Walt's favorite song was from Mary Poppins, too :)

Lashbear
10-20-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by tabacco
What about Mary Poppins? I always thought it deserved an attraction.

Walt's favorite song was from Mary Poppins, too :)

You mean "Feed The Birds" - Yeah, I think the Mary Poppins could be a "Fly-Thru" like Peter Pan. You get to fly down past the windows of the house at the beginning of the movie and see Mary Poppins already in there with the room cleaning up - then you could fly down and through the pavement into a chalk painting world - and then back over St Pauls with the birds flying all around you, over the rooftops with the Chimneysweeps dancing around, and then finally you would fly through the "Let's go fly a kite" finale - surrounded by kites of all colours. Now THAT's an E-ticket ride !

Rob :D

Pooh
10-21-2002, 07:24 PM
A Herbie, the Love Bug, ride might be fun in the style of Test Track, riding in your bug through race tracks, the city, etc. Or, put bugs on the old Peoplemover track. The screens that showed Tron once had race cars and motorcylcles anyway.

I heard a rumor once that there was an Atlantis ride planned in Tomorrowland to replace the Submarine ride. The movie didn't do so well, so that plan was probably scrubbed.

Third park? How about Yesterland? Bring back all those rides we missed so that we can share our nostalgic childhood joys. You could even call it Nostalgialand. The characters could walk around in those cheesy costumes from the 50s while we visit attractions like: America Sings, Carousel of Progress, House of the Future, Adventure Through Inner Space, Mission to Mars, the motor boats, those air hover vehicles from the early years, the Peoplemover, the Skyway, etc. They could poke fun at themselves by resurrecting the Light Magic parade. Bring back the pirate restaurant (tuna boat?) and even Pirates of the Caribbean before the politically correct makeover.

Anyone else agree? Any other attractions/shows/rides you'd like to see again?

cujosr
10-26-2002, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Lashbear
You mean "Feed The Birds"

Rob :D
I think we already have that one. It's at every resturant with outside seating!

tabacco
10-26-2002, 10:05 AM
I always wondered... the movie presented two options for spending tuppence, so which is better: feeding the birds, or buying paper and string? :)

TecTalker2K
10-26-2002, 01:22 PM
Feeding the birds. there is no better feeling than giving to those who need.

Germboy
10-26-2002, 04:18 PM
I totally agree with you guys. I've often wondered why there aren't more rides inspired by movies like The Jungle Book, Mary Poppins, Fantasia, and so on. They also need more high-quality animatronics. That is what set Disneyland apart, and now they are all being taken out (or replaced by cheap painted plywood characters that bounce back and forth). The small amount of new animatronics they do install (like the newer additions at Pirates) are not realistic by any means--especially compared to those from the 60's, when the technology was inferior.

Hydroman
10-26-2002, 04:34 PM
I heard a rumor once that there was an Atlantis ride planned in Tomorrowland to replace the Submarine ride. The movie didn't do so well, so that plan was probably scrubbed.

I have also heard this rumor, but I don't buy into the logic. How popular was "The Third Man On the Mountain", which was the inspiration for the Matterhorn? Or how popular was "Song of the South" when Splash Mountain was built? Wasn't that movie over thirty years old and unavailable on VHS when the ride opened?

Granted, if the movie had succeeded (and I for one thought it was WONDERFUL) it would have made more sense to base a ride on it, but success of the movie was not vital. And it could have made use of the PM/RR track and/or the lagoon.

tabacco
10-26-2002, 04:54 PM
Actually the Matterhorn wasn't inspired by the movie per se. Walt was inspired by the actual mountain itself, and decided he wanted a model in Disneyland. The only reason the movie's involved, really, is that it's why Walt was in Switzerland in the first place.

Morrigoon
10-26-2002, 06:49 PM
Mary Poppins would make a lovely Pirates-type ride. The AA's in it would be awesome!

tabacco
10-26-2002, 07:21 PM
I think so too... I mean, so many of the scenes would translate easily into an attraction.

- You could have the carrousel/horse race scene where your vehicle gets caught up in the race, and you end up winning.

- The tea party with the penguins. I was thinking you could build a vehicle that can spin when neccesary, so you could 'dance' with a penguin, or Mary.

- Steps in time, where you move over the rooftops of london and see dancing animatronic figures below you (this is feasible, I think... I can certainly see an animatronic as new as Innoventions' Tom Morrow dancing reasonably convincingly). Plus, I think the flyover scenes are most peoples' favorites in Peter Pan, so this would probably be popular. You could 'drive' on a column of chimney smoke, just like Mary et. al. do in the movie with the smoke staircase.

Plus all the other stuff like a strip up the staircase bannister, etc.

It'd make a really neat ride! Now I'm all depressed because we'll probably never see it :(

Morrigoon
10-26-2002, 07:27 PM
The ride vehicles could be upside-down umbrellas, traveling Peter-Pan style! (although, for quality attractions I usually prefer the more mellow speed of large boats, but I can't see a good way to incorporate them)

Laffite
10-26-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
The ride vehicles could be upside-down umbrellas, traveling Peter-Pan style! (although, for quality attractions I usually prefer the more mellow speed of large boats, but I can't see a good way to incorporate them)

A big floating upside-down umbrella as a large boat?

Morrigoon
10-26-2002, 09:10 PM
that could work! But the umbrella would be cool for flying in - would be awesome if there was a safe way to pick the umbrella up out of the water, but I don't see that happening, guests and maintenance being what they are.

thekirk
10-26-2002, 11:15 PM
My response to your ride ideas........

no, deals too much with humans to be in Critter Country

Bambi ... Critter Country
sure, why not

cool - but not the best idea....we already have a jungle in Adventureland

no rides on Main Street, please

very good idea!!!! VERY!

Lion King ... Adventureland
not feeling

Atlantis ... Tomorrowland
anything to help Tomorrowland

Cinderella ... Fantasyland
are we forgetting something? Disneyland is home to the Sleeping Beauty Castle, not Cinderella's Castle......I think we need to think about Sleeping Beauty first.

Hydroman
10-27-2002, 12:09 AM

Uncle Remus and Christopher Robin had roles in SOTS and the Pooh stories. The animals were the stars in 101D's and A'cats. While we're at it, let's add The Fox and the Hound

cool - but not the best idea....we already have a jungle in Adventureland

OK, how about Alladin (dark ride, not a spinner), or one of my all-time favorites, In Search of the Castaways

no rides on Main Street, please

Omnibus, Horse - drawn trolley, DLRR, fire truck .... MS has rides

very good idea!!!! VERY!

Humility will not permit me to take credit for this one ... I read it here on MP. Was that you, thekirk?

Atlantis ... Tomorrowland
anything to help Tomorrowland

Let's hope that Treasure Planet will inspire something that should please many ... a sci-fi Pirate ride!!!!! In space, dead men tell no tales ....:D

thekirk
10-27-2002, 06:27 AM
-Fox and the Hound is ok. But for critter country you don't want to deal with humans tooo much. Christopher Robin is fine.....and on Splash Mountain there are no human. You really wouldn't be able to tell the 101 Dal. story without human, same with the Aristocats.....and those two both take place in the city - not in a natural setting.

-an Aladdin ride would be great!

- yes, but I meant no dark rides on main street . . . main street is fine how it is, they shouldn't change it

- I first heard the Bug idea from you, I think it's a great idea. Truly brilliant, and they should do this ride asap!!!!
(they could also get money by having the Bug movies for sale, etc. in a gift shop...they could really make some money off the ride....and let the kids of today experience the Bug.....even though I'm 16 - I have a grandma who has opened my eyes to some of the old Disney classics)

Pooh
10-27-2002, 02:35 PM
I've got it! How 'bout the undersea world from Bedknobs and Broomsticks?
Or, Atlantis/Little Mermaid/Bedknobs combined? There are separate areas during the ride that could be easily themed towards different movies. :p

Morrigoon
10-27-2002, 02:49 PM
I love it!

DaddyB
10-27-2002, 10:35 PM
Going back to a Mary Poppins ride, I've been thinking for some time now about an updated carrousel ride where it starts out something like a carrousel, but then the horses detach from going round and round and glide off on a track to tell the Mary Poppins tale while still keeping an up-and-down motion of a carrousel horse.

The whole thing would be sort of like the "E.T." ride at Universal studios.

Seems like it could be done, but how would you keep people from falling (jumping) off the horses? Ah well...

tabacco
10-27-2002, 10:41 PM
How does Universal do it with those bicycles? It's been ages since I was there last. Alternatively, you could just have the cars be the larger vehicles you sometimes see on Merry-go-rounds, the ones that seat multiple people. That way you increase capacity and safety while still keeping more or less the same effect.

Laffite
10-28-2002, 04:14 PM
Universal's "bicycles" are hung from tracks above and the "handles" are actually lap bars.

--Preston