PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Disneyland Non-Ride

Pages : [1] 2 3

R44kids2
07-19-2008, 04:31 PM
O.K. so what are some of your favorite things to do when you are not on a ride?

For me, I have to have dinner at the Blue Bayou at least once per trip. It's not Disneyland till I've been to the Blue Bayou. Next would be getting a Turkey leg from the cart and sitting at the tables at Carnation Corner and relaxing in the shade while people watching. Love to just sit there and relax and enjoy the Disney Zone.

How about you?

R44kids2
07-19-2008, 04:47 PM
OOPS, I meant to say the tables at Plaza Gardens.

jcatron243
07-19-2008, 05:21 PM
Watching the dragonflies around the pond from the bridge to adventureland.

ChurroGirl
07-19-2008, 05:28 PM
When not on a ride we love to people watch! Grab a churro and some popcorn, and quietly mock people is the best! I know I am rude but no one can hear me except for FDH so whatever floats your boat right!?!!

That and just being there! And once we have eaten at Cafe Orleans for breakfast than thats it for me, I am home!

FDH loves getting an ice cream at the cart right next to HM and we will walk to the steps infront of Rivers of America and just watch the Mark Twain and relax.

Jon
07-19-2008, 06:24 PM
At Disneyland, I like to get a corn dog from the little red cart and just watch the people. I especially like sitting on the benches nearby and laughing at the shocking number of parents heading over to the lost children area. My friends and I make up background stories for each one, to try to come up with the most outlandish reasons people might lose track of their kids in a place where, in theory at least, their kids should be the main focus all day. Never ceases to amaze (and amuse) me.

At Californialand, flour tortillas from the Mission factory & the Electrical Parade!

K & S
07-19-2008, 06:24 PM
My trip to Disneyland isn't complete without a visit to Jewels of Orleans.

:)

Khiori
07-19-2008, 06:25 PM
I like listening to the piano music at the Refreshment Corner :)

Malcon10t
07-19-2008, 06:36 PM
It used to be getting a table at the Riverbelle Terrace, getting the rib platter, and kicking back and having a leisurely meal, people watching waiting for Fantasmic!, but not since the change in menus. Golden Horseshoe is a big favorite here, as is watching Laughing Stock. And the Trash Can Guys.

nbaum
07-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Hubby and I love people watching at Disneyland. Since we got pregnant, we especially love watching parents deal with their children.

Gone2Disneyland
07-19-2008, 07:38 PM
The first thing that popped into my head is watching Billy Hill and the Hillbillies at the Golden Horseshoe. But to be honest, I haven't seen them in quite a while; I'd seen them so often as a local AP, I needed to give it a break. But I've been listening to their CDs lately, so I need to make some time to watch them again live.

Other than that, I also enjoy having breakfast at either Carnation Café or Café Orleans. Table service at Disneyland is a fun perk. :)

june1st1997
07-19-2008, 07:58 PM
With DD we rarely go on any rides. Until recently she has not been a big fan...

We make it our mission to get pictures of DD with every character we can. On our list of musts:

Cruella De Ville... DD LOVES her
Mary Poppins with Bert... Again DD loves her
Mickey
Donald
Goofy
Ariel
Snow White
Belle

Anyone beyond that is gravy.

Then there is the parade. And We simply must get ice cream for the wait. The petting zoo is a big hit. DD loves watching BIg Thunder come around the turn around the back of ROA. We must have spent 30 minutes there last time.

DD and I love to eat on ROA. We watch the Mark Twain. Listen to music.

We just like being at DLR.

Malcon10t
07-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Oh, we had one of the best encounters this last trip with Peter Pan! We just happen to come across him sitting on a bench by the Matterhorn. He did a lot of posing for us. Told us our pup seemed to be as nice a Nana, and complained that the only color markers I had for signing were blue and red, and since Hook signed in Red, and we didn't have a Green (he looked in the back pack) he had to sign in blue.... It was nice as most weren't even seeing him, so his encounters were fun!

dznyphreak
07-19-2008, 10:09 PM
We used to always sit in the Animation Building lobby and just watch and enjoy the trip through Disney Animation history...it still makes me insanely happy to walk in there just to watch and listen.

I used to have this tradition of ringing the bell in the firehouse on Main St. every night as we were leaving. I gave this up since it had lost its magic (and annoyed some guests, I could tell...and it is closed during the holidays at night).

I automatically people watch whenever I'm standing/sitting still for any period of time. It can be fun, I agree. Can't say I've fabricated my own stories, though... :)

Just being there is great...I love even that moment when they scan your ticket, it beeps, and the little bird chirp welcomes you to the Happiest Place on Earth!

...I apologize for the cheeziness there. :D

Donald Duck Fan68
07-19-2008, 10:26 PM
I like coming across those unexpected spontaneous entertainment moments and just stopping and taking it all in. Some of my favorite moments are:

• Watching Mickey climb the Matterhorn
• Trash Can Trio
• New Orleans musicians
• Eternal Order of Armadillos (during the 35th anniversary)

DW and I used to love getting some popcorn shrimp by Rivers of America and watching the boats go by. Unfortunately they replaced it with the McDonald's fry stand.

Over at DCA, I enjoy getting a refreshment from the Beer truck by the warf and listening to the musicians there. I also loved the DUH (Department of Untapped Hilarity) show in HPB, but it's no longer there.

mistofviolets
07-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Just stepping in those gates :)

Dd stuffing a potato head box. I swear it's worth the price of admission to watch her go at it, and of course help :)

Watching my kids. I know, cheezy. But, they're so sweet and awed and excited. My youngest will choose places to pose and set up pics for me to take. I like just walking in the morning when there's hardly anyone there (Okay, there are plenty of people there...but they're all on rides because there are no lines.)

Jon
07-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Can't believe I forgot this one - at Californialand, the amazing sculpted Toy Story zoetrope in the animation hall. I love the crowds gathering around as it starts to spin, and then watching them all freak out when the strobe comes on. It's really incredible.

njdrummer
07-20-2008, 07:26 AM
I like to walk around DTD and window shop. I also like to find anything of historical significance that relates to the park and think about all the history there.

BIRDGIRLS
07-20-2008, 08:16 AM
I love the smells at Disneyland. Disneyland water, Disneyland fire, Disneyland churros, Disneyland popcorn, that smell outside of the ice cream place.. they all make me happy! Also, I like the little birds that are always there. Those are really the only birds (besides ducks) I've seen at Disneyland..

june1st1997
07-20-2008, 12:26 PM
I love the smells at Disneyland. Disneyland water, Disneyland fire, Disneyland churros, Disneyland popcorn, that smell outside of the ice cream place.. they all make me happy! Also, I like the little birds that are always there. Those are really the only birds (besides ducks) I've seen at Disneyland..

Great call Birdgirl! You are so right... the smells of Disneyland. The smell of the Haunted Mansion or Pirates. They are so distinct and associated with such great memories.

DatabaseDiva
07-20-2008, 12:49 PM
We visit often enough that our trip is more about "being there" than it is about going on the rides. We just love to wander up and down Main Street, and sit in front of the castle at night when most people are leaving. No trip would be complete without a Safari Skewer from Bengal Barbecue! At DCA, I love to hang around the Grizzly River Run in the morning, and watch the mist rise off the water. I also love the music in this area.

missmonkey
07-20-2008, 01:00 PM
I love eating my corn dog from the little red wagon on the benches behind the wagon. Characters enter and exit from there. Since it's rarely crowded, they take a little extra time interacting with any kids that happen to be there. Eeyore took a lot of time with a toddler who couldn't decide if she really wanted a hug or if she was terrified of him. There was lots of her running back and forth while Eeyore alternated between elation at seeing her and pretending to have his feelings hurt.

I have to see Billy Hill and the Hillbillies and Laughing Stock. Like Gone2Disneyland, I've taken a short break from seeing them. I was getting funny looks from LS. I'm sure they get their share of single broads stalking them. I just like melodrama, guys, I swear!

After PL closes, the pirate band plays near Court of Angels. Their songs are so good! DL should release a recording of this band singing sea chanties instead of the lame one they sell now.

Infinitely
07-20-2008, 01:10 PM
The gardens and the flowers. I love going in different seasons and seeing different blooms. I remember being in Fantasy Land and the flowerbeds were filled with nasturtiums!

One of my most favorite things in the world are when the planters n the lampposts are overflowing with cascading blooms.

I also love the birds, and the cats…I love the feeling of not being rushed!

I would love the opportunity to have a tour of all the different gardens.

Tan Da Man
07-20-2008, 01:19 PM
HAAAAVE To get Churros...LOTS of Churros

ChurroGirl
07-20-2008, 02:35 PM
HAAAAVE To get Churros...LOTS of Churros

I am getting a shirt made with a cartoon girl holding Churros that will read,..
"I only come for the Churros!"

Today I miss the little garden area next to Matterhorn, where they do facepainting. Its so peaceful there and I truly feel like I am in another world.

One of my favorite things I didnt post before was walking through the tunnels and seeing Main Street open up before your eyes! Its really like stepping back in time.

potzbie
07-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Two words:

Dole Whip
:D