PDA

View Full Version : "Showcase the latest in state-of-the-art entertainment technology"

Darkbeer
10-19-2002, 12:46 PM
Well, I was reading the latest edition of Jim Hill's LightMagic Series (Chapter 7)

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/archives/series/litemagic/litemagic7.html

As with the rest of the chapters, Jim is telling a great story about all the problems that fell upon LightMagic, but what really caught my eye was the LightMagic fact sheet distributed to the Disneyland CM's, and a few of it quotes....

The Main Street Electrical Parade was a treasured part of our Disneyland history. However, we always strive to move forward and present our guests with exciting new shows and attractions that showcase the latest in state-of-the-art entertainment technology.

BUt have they, the latest Parade, the Parade of the Stars has nothing state-of-the-art, the Pooh attraction looks like it will be OK....

http://www.laughingplace.com/default.asp?WCI=MsgBoard&WCE=T-26551-P-1&Refresh=1019131139

But it isn't the Pooh's Hunny Hunt that is located at Tokyo Disneyland, which many people would state has state-of-the-art entertainment technology.

The shows and attractions at DCA are not state-of-the-art, and I think it is why many folks were disappointed in DCA.

And how about this quote from the May 23rd "Disneyland Line" (the CM newsletter).

“There’s really no secret about our approach. We keep moving forward – opening up new doors and doing new things … We’re always exploring and experimenting …”

Those words were spoken by Walt Disney more than 40 years ago. Although we can’t surmise what Walt would might think today, we can all be proud that he started Disneyland on a dream and with the faith that he could create something that the public would enjoy. He developed Disneyland with the commitment to shaping and molding new ideas into perfection and the courage to disregard those who doubted him. We would be wise today to remember the very principles upon which Walt founded Disneyland......

We needn’t look any further than our own rich Disneyland heritage to realize that for 42 years we have been an organization that built its success on opening new doors in the world of Theme Park entertainment – despite naysayers. We are firmly planted in the belief that to be the best, to stay ahead of the rest of the pack, we have to push the envelope, we have to be the dreamers, the inventors, and the experimenters … not the followers.

“We accept the challenge – not just in Entertainment, but in everything we do at Disneyland – to invent and create,” said Mike Davis, Vice President of Entertainment. “Inventing new technology is risky in the beginning, but we take those calculated risks because you’ve got to take a chance if you want to create something spectacular.”

We all realize that the public has very high expectations of the Disney product. We too have an enormous pride and high standards for the product we present to our Guests. So when we create and refine new products is when our pride and support is most critical. Now is one of those times.

Maybe a few people at TDA need to reread these words.....and push the envelope a bit more often, instead of delivering copycat attractions from WDW.

80S ERA
10-21-2002, 07:22 AM
Many of my friends who work at the formerly yellow building roll their eyes at Eisner's emails and CM publications like the Disneyland line. It's like, "Who do they think they're fooling?"

From a guest's perspective, I find it amusing when I get reply emails from Disney after I've voiced my concerns in their deteriorating parks. They respond in a very impersonal, template fashion. They say stuff like, "Walt Disney once said, 'Disneyland will never be finished as long as there is imagination left in the world' blah..blah...blah..." I think the quote should be rephrased to:

"Imagination still exists in the Disney company. We just make sure we never execute them."