PDA

View Full Version : WOW -- Effective Today -- Popcorn $5.00 a Box!

FOOD_AND_DRUG
10-18-2002, 10:00 PM
Stopped by for the Angels pep rally tonight in Downtown Disney.

I'll let others post their experiences and reviews. Mine was fine, except for the POPCORN.

I give Disney credit in wheeling out the ODV carts from DCA for this "special" event. The carts were postioned well throughout DD, except for one area behind the main stage adjacent to ESPN Zone.

Because of the unique set-up and large crowds, you were directed in different paths, depending upon where you were going.

Unfortunately, one ODV cart selling popcorn was placed in the middle of a main pathway, clogging the walkway to get from the ESPN Zone and around the stage to other areas of DD.

I couldn't help but look and see if the ODV cart was selling anything "unique" for the pep rally.

I saw a sign that said Popcorn--$5.00. I asked the castmember what size it was. She showed me the container that's used at DCA. I said, are you sure and she replied, yes.

I then asked her if it was the same popcorn as used in Disneyland and DCA, she was hesitant in answering, but her fellow cast-member was busy filling up the popcorn maker and holding-up a Orville Reddenbeker's popcorn bag.

The first castmember said no, nothing special. I re-confirmed that this was $2.75 popcorn, selling today for $5.00 outside of both theme parks.

To say the least, I was shocked. Further, I did not see many guests holding onto boxes of DCA popcorn as they were too busy holding onto their free set of red Thunder Sticks.

I did pass by that new guy who took-over for Paul Pressler (I forget his name) and I should have bopped him with my Thinder Stciks letting him know my displeasure over the price of the popcorn.

In bopping him though, I would have said...Go Angels...while harboring the real reason he did get bopped was for dumb stunts to take advantage of guests for a one-day event.

I'm sure the Disney types would respond they were just conducting a "test". In a few months, they'll raise the price of popcorn to $5.00 inside the park...wouldn't that be a hoot.

Shame on the manager that came-up with this idea.

Good thing Al wasn't here tonight, he would have gone wild, as we all know he has had previous issues with popcorn pricing.

Heck, with all his issues with Disneyland, Al should create a series of video tapes, similar to Girls Gone Wild.....

Al Goes Wild at Disneyland....a 10 tape series, perfect for your collection.

I'm sure people would buy it.

Darkbeer
10-18-2002, 11:41 PM
Interesting, I missed the $5 popcorn...

The ESPN Zone was offering a Hamburger or Cheeseburger with a bag of chips for $5 outside for sale for the rally folks, not bad, but the WATER was $3!!!!! (a bag of chips was $1 by itself)

I still liked the Go-Go dancers they had for the private party at Paradise Pier:D

WizKidRyan
10-20-2002, 10:10 AM
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! You mean i missed my one chance to get take-out food at ESPN Zone?!?!?!?! :(

tabacco
10-20-2002, 02:30 PM
Um... I think it should really be noted that despite the topic of this thread, popcorn is NOT $5 resortwide now. They just hiked up the price for the Angels event.

RStar
10-21-2002, 08:41 AM
The Disney company is doing whatever it can to make the best proffit it can during this Angeles good fortune they have stumbled into. I don't condone it (I only bought the $7 monkey for my son while there, no $5 popcorn thank you very much Joe), but I'm glad for them. I'd like to see the company do better. But not by jabbing people with double prices. I'm sure that $5 popcorn cost $0.02 for corn including royalty for Orville, $0.05 for the box, $0.20 for over head, $0.50 for the CM to sell it. That's $4.23 proffit. If the lowered the price and made half the proffit they would have sold twice as much and had the same proffit.

Ok, that's all just a guess, but I bet it's not far off;) .....

ice_queen
10-21-2002, 02:03 PM
$5.00 popcorn and what, no movie???

I would have choked on it. 5 bucks????? Come on.:rolleyes:

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
10-21-2002, 11:55 PM
I disagree - I think Disney made a normal business decision.

First in order to 'get' a box of $2.75 popcorn you must have either: A) an annual pass or, B) purchase ticket media to get into one of the theme parks.

Second, Disney hosted a free party - put up the big screens (for free) gave out a bunch of stuff (for free) and invited the community (oh yeah parking was free too)

What a cool thing to do! I'm sure it costs them labor etc to set up the stages.

Perhaps they figured since they weren't asking for $45.00 admission.. it would be 'ok' to charge $5.00 for popcorn.

Also the title of this thread is misleading and sensationalistic as it implies the price of popcorn increased Resort wide

Give it a rest F&D

Morrigoon
10-22-2002, 12:56 PM
While I think the price is ridiculous, and I personally wouldn't pay it (then again I'm not nuts about popcorn), I have no problem with Disney doing that. As mentioned above, it WAS a free event, and they have a right to try to make SOME money off of it.

LifelongAngelsFan
10-24-2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
I disagree - I think Disney made a normal business decision.

I agree. Disney was being very generous with hosting the Pep Rally. I was happy to buy some merchandise at DTD to help reward Disney for doing this.