PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here worked Disneyland security?

Pages : [1] 2

DisneyDuck
07-14-2008, 11:46 PM
If so, would you mind answering some questions, please? If you have the time. :)

1. Do you/did you enjoy your job? Is the job itself enjoyable?

2. Do you get a chance to 'give that Disney feeling' to people? (Besides keeping them all safe, I mean. ;) ) I always hear Disneyland CM's talking about experiences they've had of them doing something special for someone, and I think that'd be a great feeling to have. :cool:

3. What type of things would you be doing?

4. Is it a fairly safe job?

5. How difficult is it? I hope it's not one of those jobs that are so difficult and frustrating, they end up making you hate Disney. :eek:

6. Can you just go and apply for the job, without having a prior job in security and/or training?

That's all I can think of, so:

7. Anything else you'd like to share?

Thanks to anyone who helps out. :D

Shinku
07-15-2008, 12:01 AM
I have not worked for disney, nor have I been a security guard. My brother, however, was guarding at various places for a number of years. Having your "guard card" could help considerably if this is the job you're looking to apply for. When he was working, it was a mandatory thing to work security at a lot of places. It's not a hard class, lots of common sense stuff (I believe they spent one entire hour just talking about "don't approach the crackhead with a gun when he's all crazy" or something to that effect), but it shows that you've taken the initiative to go that extra mile for a job at disney.

Malcon10t
07-15-2008, 08:23 AM
It really depends on what YOU want to do. I do not think Disneyland requires a guard card. Many of their security are off duty/retired law enforcement/military. Remember, there are several levels. The ones you see in white shirts and blue pants, and the guy in sweats, pushing a stroller with a balloon and coffee....

MickeyM00C0w
07-15-2008, 08:39 AM
This is just from an attraction CM point of view, but security is about as useful as a wet napkin. It's just not a very efficient system, but it's nice to know there's someone there to take care of these things in the back of my mind.

As you should already know, you can only have a magical experience if you are willing to let yourself have one. The same goes for giving people a magical experience. Unfortunately, you as security get to deal with the people trying to take that magical experience away. Good luck.

I do not believe Disneyland requires any previous experience. I was introduced to a person a few weeks ago who is currently working in security but transferred from attractions (leading me to believe there was no previous experience there). But it is also a bit easier to get you dream job in the company if you transfer, so...maybe not.

Also, I don't know how the security department is, or if you're trying to apply for full time/part time, but Disneyland is so overflown with CMs right now that people are just being turned away at the door. :(

Matterhorn Yodeler
07-15-2008, 10:20 AM
2. Do you get a chance to 'give that Disney feeling' to people? (Besides keeping them all safe, I mean. ;) ) I always hear Disneyland CM's talking about experiences they've had of them doing something special for someone, and I think that'd be a great feeling to have. :cool:

Just a shout out to Security doing something special for me...

I recently brought my guide dog in training to DL for the first time. Tulley drew a lot of interest from guests and CM's alike. I was approached by a uniformed security guard and my first thought was, "Uh oh, what am I doing that I shouldn't be?" Much to my surprise and pleasure, he offered me whatever assistance I may need and explained where I could relieve the puppy. That was very nice to go out of his way to be helpful!

So yes, there are times when Security can spread the DL magic!

Bytebear
07-15-2008, 10:27 AM
It really depends on what YOU want to do. I do not think Disneyland requires a guard card. Many of their security are off duty/retired law enforcement/military. Remember, there are several levels. The ones you see in white shirts and blue pants, and the guy in sweats, pushing a stroller with a balloon and coffee....

Actually, they changed the rules about 3 months ago, and a friend of mine who was security for Disneyland for well over 15 years was let go because he had a minor conviction on his record (from his youth) and could not get a guard card. It was very tragic, and I am actually pretty miffed that Disney couldn't see past this issue and let him keep his job. He is pretty devastated and still unemployed. I really think it was a chance to get rid of some of the more costly employees.

disneyperson
07-15-2008, 10:36 AM
I have seen many Securty CMs passing out stickers,giving directions and chatting with the guests. So yes, there are definitely opportunities for spreading the magic. I have also seen CMs respond immediaitely with concern and professionalism to medical emergencies and calmly defuse what could have evolved into violent situations.

I remember once when my daughter fell and got a bloody nose. It wasn't two minutes before a security guard was at her side soothing her while he got on his walkie-talkie and called a nurse. While waiting for the nurse , he had another CM bring her ice, tissues, and even arrranged for her to receive a new t shirt (for free) because hers had blood on it. He went beyond what one would expect from average security and I don't think it was because he particularly exceptional. DL security guards are there because they care about the park and the guests. They know how important feeling safe is to having an overall magical experience.

If guests feel safe in Disneyland ,I know I do, they have the excellent security staff to thank for it.

foolishmortal
07-15-2008, 12:23 PM
My kids have been on the receiving end of the Securty stickers!They look for the DL sec. people now!;):D
My DS (5) thinks that every policeman has stickers now! He even suckers them out of our local PD guys that play paintball with us!
We had to go find some in DTD once because a lady in the shop that has the airplane and notical stuff( sorry don't remeber the name) started yelling and trowing things at the clerk in the store. DH and I tried to help calm her down but at that point she was ranting! So DD and I went out to find a DLS and found a really nice one told him what was going on and about 5 suddenly showed up to help!
They gave the kids a ton of stickers for being good citizens! the kids have never forgotten that!:D

DisneyDuck
07-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks everyone! :)

I do not believe Disneyland requires any previous experience. I was introduced to a person a few weeks ago who is currently working in security but transferred from attractions (leading me to believe there was no previous experience there). But it is also a bit easier to get you dream job in the company if you transfer, so...maybe not.

I asked my questions on another Disney forum (Disboards.com) and one of the users there told me that I'd have better luck getting a security position by working in attractions [or something] for a while, then transferring into security.

Also, I don't know how the security department is, or if you're trying to apply for full time/part time, but Disneyland is so overflown with CMs right now that people are just being turned away at the door. :(

I won't be applying for a while. I was just asking so I'm 'in the know' about the position. Shame about people getting turned away. :(

I guess it depends, but I sure wouldn't mind being one of the guards that walk around looking like tourists. I think that'd be great!

Actually, they changed the rules about 3 months ago, and a friend of mine who was security for Disneyland for well over 15 years was let go because he had a minor conviction on his record (from his youth) and could not get a guard card. It was very tragic, and I am actually pretty miffed that Disney couldn't see past this issue and let him keep his job. He is pretty devastated and still unemployed. I really think it was a chance to get rid of some of the more costly employees.

So you DO need a guard card?

And I'm sorry to hear about your friend. :(

Nice stories disneyperson, foolishmortal. :)

For the record, I'm looking into several Disneyland jobs. Security isn't the only one, but it is one I'd like to do if possible. I'd just like to have a good job at Disneyland! =)

Malcon10t
07-15-2008, 07:54 PM
I talked to a friend, and they said they don't think the guard card is required, but could be wrong as the people they know working there have POST certs.

And I believe a "minor" conviction (which to me would be a misdomeaner) wouldn't get you kicked from a guard card but failure to disclose the conviction would. You can even have certain felonies on your record, depending on the felony, the length of time since the conviction, and your "rehabilitation."

danyoung
07-16-2008, 08:26 AM
This is just from an attraction CM point of view, but security is about as useful as a wet napkin. It's just not a very efficient system...

Why do you have this opinion?

evrythngwmn
07-16-2008, 08:44 AM
A guard card or the ability to get one is now required. That and a valid drivers license.

kisroo
07-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Funny, I have always found the security guards at DL to be fabulous! Each time I've seen issues, whether it's some altercation or other safety incident, security guards literally come out of the woodwork. And, in a very efficient manner. I like how you do know they are there but don't remember you know they are there until they are needed. I think that's very important to people having a safe, enjoyable, experience at DL.

I've seen arguments diffused and children enchanted (with stickers and such) by security guards at DL. I think it'd be a great job if you are interested in it!

~kisroo:)

Malcon10t
07-19-2008, 11:01 AM
This is just from an attraction CM point of view, but security is about as useful as a wet napkin. You haven't said why you feel this way. PanFan, how about you? From a CM viewpoint, is security useless to you?

I know the few encounters we have had, they have been wonderful. Is it different for CMs?

MickeyM00C0w
07-19-2008, 11:11 AM
You haven't said why you feel this way. PanFan, how about you? From a CM viewpoint, is security useless to you?

I know the few encounters we have had, they have been wonderful. Is it different for CMs?

I originally said why I felt that way: It is not an efficient system, especially when you're working parade/Fan! routes. The only people with a walkie is the lead, which is usually no where to be found. By the time you've tracked down the lead and gotten security over there, the person has already disappeared, or half the time, security will just let them off the hook in fear of confrontation. Most of the time, it's just easier to not call security in the first place unless the people involved are getting physical. When working an actual attraction, you rarely ever need security unless people are getting up and moving around the ride, which even if they do, the CMs can usually track them down and deal with it.

Crazy4DL
07-19-2008, 08:03 PM
I personally know a DL security guard and have seen her in action - she is amazing. . .very professional, kind and a great sense of humor. It makes me feel good to know people like her are on the watch, so to speak, at the HPOE. :)

kisroo
07-19-2008, 08:21 PM
I personally know a DL security guard and have seen her in action - she is amazing. . .very professional, kind and a great sense of humor. It makes me feel good to know people like her are on the watch, so to speak, at the HPOE. :)

Awwwwwww...so nice, let's say it....AGAIN!!! :cool:

Malcon10t
07-19-2008, 08:52 PM
I personally know a DL security guard and have seen her in action - she is amazing. . .very professional, kind and a great sense of humor. It makes me feel good to know people like her are on the watch, so to speak, at the HPOE. :)We've met a VERY nice female security, we usually see her around the Tiki Room. Maybe she is your friend. We've always had positive encounters.

futurecm21
07-20-2008, 01:56 PM
I think Disney does a great job of training their security CMs. I have had some training myself and I know it can be a challenge, but I think if your gonna work in the security field, Disneyland is probably one of the best places to do it. There you have strength in numbers. there are lots of people on your side, and support from the company on your actions. and on top of the fact that most people just come to have a good time anyway, you can know your allot safer than you might be elsewhere because of the bag searches at the gate. I'd say go for it. If I ever get a chance its probably the job I'd want to do.:)

kiki
07-20-2008, 10:47 PM
IMHO, I dont think it would be that hard to get into Disney security if there are openings nor would they require experience. I have been working security at a major department store for about 2yrs and my job is probaly more dangerous than at DL. I mean what are the odds that you would have to tackle people for stealing a shirt then running. Not to say that those extream situations will never happen at DL nor to be-little DL security (no I dont think Im better for those who like to argue;)) but the majority of people who visit the park are there for fun and happiness not to cause problems, although some young people do. So I guess my point is if there are opening, there might not be heavy requirements for the job so go for it if you can. I actually would like to do it.:D:D:D

PanFan
07-23-2008, 09:32 PM
You haven't said why you feel this way. PanFan, how about you? From a CM viewpoint, is security useless to you?

As with any job, some are better at it than others. There are the ones who are great at dealing with lost children, the ones who excel at confronting troublesome guests, and the ones who are good at standing around and not doing much. Overall, they're very nice people and good CM's, but there's a lot of truth to Mickey M00C0w's statement concerning the efficiency of the system:

I originally said why I felt that way: It is not an efficient system, especially when you're working parade/Fan! routes. The only people with a walkie is the lead, which is usually no where to be found. By the time you've tracked down the lead and gotten security over there, the person has already disappeared, or half the time, security will just let them off the hook in fear of confrontation. Most of the time, it's just easier to not call security in the first place unless the people involved are getting physical. When working an actual attraction, you rarely ever need security unless people are getting up and moving around the ride, which even if they do, the CMs can usually track them down and deal with it.

I was thinking about this thread tonight, actually. My friend called saying she had a flat tire and asked if DH and I could come out to K Lot (a CM parking lot) and help her change it. There is a security vehicle that drives through the parking lots, making sure all is well, but for some reason you see them all the time when you don't need them and then when you do, they're nowhere to be found. My friend went to the security station at the parking lot entrance and they said there was nothing they could do and said she should get another CM to help her. So she called me and DH and we drove 20 minutes to get there. After we'd been there with the blanket and jack and crowbar out for about 15 minutes, the security vehicle finally came around. He looked at us and waved as he drove by. A couple minutes later, he circled back and asked us if we needed any additional help. We never really gave him a clear answer (we were doing fine on our own, but wanted to see if he would actually help us), so he sat in his car and watched us for a good 5 minutes. I thought maybe he was calling someone that was authorized to come help (we can't have anyone crossing union lines, now...), but no, he was just sitting there watching us. Finally after about 5 minutes he just drove away.

danyoung
07-24-2008, 04:24 AM
Hmmm. Changing a tire. Doesn't sound like a hot security situation there.

Matterhorn Yodeler
07-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Hmmm. Changing a tire. Doesn't sound like a hot security situation there.

I DISAGREE!!! I think that working security at a parking lot and helping change a tire is a very important safety situation. The flat tire occurred at night in an area where anyone could easily lurk in the shadows. This was a female CM getting off of work, faced with the distraction of having to change a tire, something she, no doubt, rarely does. Can't you see an uncomfortable and potentially dangerous situation in the making?

Working security in a parking lot includes the protection of vehicles and their contents, but MOST IMPORTANTLY, the safety of those who use the parking lot. There should be adequate preparation for minor roadside assistance such as jumping a dead battery or tools to help change a tire.

PanFan...I'm glad you and your DH came to your friend's rescue. May I suggest that you contact someone higher up in Security to make them aware that the initial response to the problem created a potentially dangerous situation for your friend. I'm not looking to cast blame on the Securtiy CM's, but rather insure a policy that will keep employees safe in minor roadside emergency situations.

WITron
07-24-2008, 11:26 AM
When I was a CM, I had a day that while driving in, I was in my first car accident, so I was late to work. When I finally did get in, I changed and worked my shift. I got back to the locker area, and my pants with my car keys and wallet was gone. I went to the Security Office, and they had me go over to wardrobe to get a pair of jeans, let me use the phone to call my parents, and then drove me home, which was about 45 minutes away.

PanFan
07-24-2008, 06:47 PM
I again had was provided with the opportunity to consider this thread today. I like to bike to work whenever I have a midshift and I won't be out too late. I park my bike at the racks by TDA. I have a combination lock that I use every time I park it. One day early last month, I came back to find that my combination would no longer unlock it. Fiddling around with it, I discovered that it had been reset so the last number was one off from what I had it. I was a little nervous about that for a while, and I immediately changed my combination. But nothing ever came of it and I kind of forgot about the whole thing.

Today, I go to get my bike after work and find that the second-to-last number in my combination had been changed (again, just one off from where I had it). My mind instantly shot back to when it had happened before, so I mentioned it to the security guard there. He said that there are cameras there, but they don't really show much around the bike racks and then recommended I park my bike on the racks inside the structure instead of outside from now on.

I don't really know what I expected him to do about it, but it felt like I was not taken seriously in my concerns and that if my bike were to be stolen I would have no recourse because evidently the cameras there are useless for my purposes. I really don't like the key locks because then I have to carry the key everywhere and get it out and worry about losing it, but I'm strongly considering getting a new non-combination lock. At least whoever's doing this hasn't actually taken my bike. Maybe they're just trying to show me that combination locks aren't secure? Regardless, it's quite nervewracking!