PDA

View Full Version : Rumormongering: Fantasmic Soundtrack and the Mainstreet Electrical Parade

sechs
07-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Got some juicy rumours on my last trip to DLR.

1. Fantasmic! Soundtrack
I finally chased down a copy of the soundtrack. I was talking to a CM at Off the Page in DCA about it, and she seemed to imply that a new version of the soundtrack would be coming out. How she would know, is beyond me.

When I went to 20th Century Music on Mainstreet that evening to pick it up (FYI, they seem to have all copies hidden behind other disks), the CM there also seemed to imply that a new version would come out. All copies there had the "As Recorded In 1997" sticker on them.

Maybe I'll have to buy another copy in a year?

2. Mainstreet Electrical Parade.
No, that's not a typo.

While waiting at the Anaheim train station, ran into some behind-the-scenes type who works on parades at the resort (says he's currently doing the Parade of Dreams). He was very helpful about giving information on the Pixar Play Parade, so I'm inclined to believe what he says.

He said that the electrical parade will be moving back to Disneyland next year. He wouldn't say anything beyond that.

Another reason to take the train!

As always, take these as just rumour. Even those who should be in the know get bad information.

MickeyM00C0w
07-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Word moves incredibly fast through the CM network (some celebrity walks through the main gate and everyone will know within the hour). So as of right now, all I can tell you is that I have heard both of these rumors. The only thing that's iffy is I've heard the Fantasmic! is just getting an upgraded system, not a whole knew show or anything like that. It's possible they're going to make some modifications to it though stage wise.

And yes, rumor has it that the Electrical Parade will be moving back to where it belongs, but not for some time (I would anticipate summer 2010 at the earliest though). The reason it was placed in DCA was in hopes to draw a bigger crowd. Once they've gotten farther into the DCA face lift, there is word they have plans to move it back. Yay! :D

cstephens
07-14-2008, 05:55 PM
And yes, rumor has it that the Electrical Parade will be moving back to where it belongs, but not for some time

I love the Electrical Parade, but its time at Disneyland is done. I'd rather have a new parade. I would see it as being just lazy to move an old parade back. It's like people who retire repeatedly. When you leave, leave.

Rte48
07-14-2008, 07:02 PM
What great news! I love the Electrical Parade too. I even bought some bulbs when they stopped running it. It just didn't seem the same watching it at DCA. Do you really want a new parade? Don't you remember Night Magic?

olegc
07-14-2008, 08:02 PM
both of these stories (rumors) have been posted on several of the fan websites (not just the chat boards, but the blogger/reporter stories as well).

the fantasmic one would coincide with a revamping of special effects and changes to some of the images on the water screens

the reason the parade would move back to DLR supposedly was due to the coming construction at DCA as well as trying to keep folks placated at DLR during their "what would you celebrate" campaign next year (no new rides or attractions for a while, so find something to promote and put a new wrapper on it).

Who wants to celebrate an old/new/old again parade coming to DLR? I like the parade - it's a classic - but us regulars are not seeing any more investment in DLR.

Does this mean they won't increase the price of Annual Passes this year (NOT).

IdahoMike
07-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Just guessing, but I'd think the EP moving back to Disneyland would coincide with the "World of Color" opening at DCA. If this show is as cool as has been rumored, they wouldn't need the EP to draw traffic at night anymore.

cstephens
07-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Do you really want a new parade? Don't you remember Night Magic?

If you mean Light Magic, yes, I do (I think Night Magic is what at least one incarnation of the nighttime Shamu show in Sea World was called), but then, there's the current parade, which is gorgeous and awesome and fun and makes up for how awful Light Magic was and then some. If anyone is still hung up in the Light Magic era, they need to join the present.

foolishmortal
07-14-2008, 10:27 PM
I love the EP I just wish they would run it in the fall more. My youngest still has not seen it and i haven't seen it for 3 yrs. We can't come any other time of the year and it never seems to be running in the 1st of Nov. anymore! Would love it to be improved and moved back to DL.
I don't remeber the light and magic era.at all.:confused:
I like the POD (?)but It seems to be better to watch during the afternoon, then in the evening. but that's just me.
Looking forward to the new DCA parade this fall, it sounds really fun!

TikiGeek
07-15-2008, 07:09 AM
I love the Electrical Parade, but its time at Disneyland is done. I'd rather have a new parade. I would see it as being just lazy to move an old parade back. Yes, exactly. TDA needs to get back to more original thinking and innovation.

They can use this quote from Walt Disney as a new mission statement:

We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

ralfrick
07-15-2008, 08:19 AM
I saw the EP twice in DL, and once at WDW. Twice from the hub, and once by iasw. Therefore I don't have any feelings of having to see it on Main St. I fear for the congestion of MSEP, Fantasmic and fireworks, but it may be even worse in DCA with all the construction. I think it will get even more difficult to navigate DL at night if they move it back.

I fully support letting creative people create, even if it means the loss/alteration of a favorite attraction, and even if it's a failure, IF they are given the proper time, budget and other resources to do the job properly. Yes, LM was a flop, but Spectromagic (MK) and Fantillusion (DLP) are not. Admittedly, I prefer the MSEP to both.

A bientot.

Matterhorn Yodeler
07-15-2008, 10:11 AM
I love the Electrical Parade. It brings back memories of the first time my son saw it when he was two. We listened to that music over and over again, and for its time it was a technical marvel!

I recently saw it at DCA, and it felt different to me. Partially it's the environment. We watched by the Orange Stinger and the street was wide and crowds were light. Plus you could see a good distance down from where the parade was starting. When watching on Main Street, there seemed to be a greater excitement. The crowds and more confined space made all of the floats seem much bigger and more glorious.

I have no idea of all of the work and manpower that goes into staging a parade at DL. So it is a bit naive of me to suggest that the MSEP have a limited run or perhaps be in rotation with another new parade. That way, at times we can enjoy the nostalgia of the old, while still getting the excitement and creativity of something new.

Bytebear
07-15-2008, 11:04 AM
I thought you might like to see this link. It seems this company is testing effects for some kind of Disney water show (rumors!) (Ok, actually, this was for the 4th of July show, but it shows potential, eh?)

http://www.miragewaterworks.com/peacock/001.htm

Disneyphile
07-15-2008, 02:28 PM
MSEP with some new additions and/or changes would be awesome. :) Before its "last" performance back in '96, it was already changed from its original flat format, and even the overall soundtrack had changed throughout the years (albeit still orchestrated with "Baroque Hoedown"). So, I would absolutely welcome some new technological modifications and some new stories coming to light.

It's always been my favorite show. :D

olegc
07-15-2008, 03:22 PM
I thought you might like to see this link. It seems this company is testing effects for some kind of Disney water show (rumors!) (Ok, actually, this was for the 4th of July show, but it shows potential, eh?)

it's not a new rumor - the World Of Color water show was announced when the DCA rebirth plans were announced last year.

off topic - looks like they may have trouble with wind in such an open air lagoon. Where's a good berm when you need one!

Bytebear
07-15-2008, 03:44 PM
I have no problem with them doing a few inexpensive things to keep Disneyland fresh. I really would rather them put the big bucks toward DCA. Disneyland will survive just fine for the next few years being what it is. I will even forgo the people mover for a while if they add some really cool stuff to DCA in the meantime. I don;t get bored in Disneyland. I don't run out of things to do, and I can't do everything there in one day. That is what I want for DCA, so let the money flow South for a while.

HauntedKid
07-15-2008, 05:32 PM
I totally agree with Bytebear, Disneyland is always magical, they dont need to add too much things, if the rumors are true, EP will be, again, a hit!...and for the Fantasmic show getting new stuff..that would be awesome!!...i just hope that they dont change it too much because i think the way it is today is wonderful...just add dont change the whole concept...

Autopia Guy
07-16-2008, 12:30 AM

Will people please read that darn site? It say right on it that the 4th of July Pics are from Tempe, AZ. The other shots... People say they are from WoC testing, but the site has not been updated since, from what someone said, 2005. Just a little old. I think people just jumped at something they have never seen before and are wanting to believe are new pics. Now, if someone can prove me wrong and show me that they are recent, Ill give.

yohomama212
07-16-2008, 07:08 AM
As olegc said, the water show isn't new news. I don't care how old the pics are, as far as I know they're still relevant to the issue of changes being made at DCA.

Elizabeth