PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable 4th Of July CM Abuse!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MKY4ME
07-05-2008, 10:09 PM
I got this e-mail from a friend of mine who was on Fantasmic Crowd Control last nite--she is a college summer hire and was so shocked!

Last night was horrendous. I think I lost all faith in humanity because of
it. I know it's hot and the conditions are unfavorable and it was terrible
that the fireworks were canceled, but there's no need to hit and spit on
our employees, nor is there a reason to curse at us and run us over with
strollers intentionally.

dkthepainter
07-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Oh, My God! How awful. Please tell her I'm so sorry that happened to her. I hope that the culprits were escourted out of the Park and asked not to return; Though the damage, I'm sure, is already done. that's just horrible!:eek::confused::mad:

ChurroGirl
07-05-2008, 10:38 PM
HOLY HANNA!!!:eek::crying::eek: Seriously. I. I. (((Hugs to friend))) Its Disneyland. I mean. Really.

The CM's are there to protect us and make sure we are having a magical experience. If not then the CM who knows you arent will do their darndest to make it better. I am so shocked and appalled that any human being in their right mind would remotely think about doing anything of that nature. I mean. Really.
If it were remotely allowed I would hug every CM that makes my day while I am in the park, and there are always quit a few. (((Hug to all CM's) Auto Guy, PanFan, and whoever else. I am so sorry. I know I had nothing to do with the abuse that was suffered or if you were involved but your the front lines to make the guests "Magical" days and the ones that dont appreciate all the hard work and efforts should just..should just...clay pidgeons come to mind and what people like to do to them :~D.

LOVE YOUR CM'S PEOPLE!!!

Bolivar
07-05-2008, 11:40 PM
I hope that the culprits were escourted out of the Park and asked not to return;

Escourted out?! They should be arrested for battery.

Bytebear
07-05-2008, 11:42 PM
I was at the park today (July 5) and the guests were out of control. Cutting in line (to meet friends) with not a word of "excuse me" but just barging right through even though the line was only 5 minutes long anyway; kids climing on walls and rocks, including two that got on the top of the rocs next to the Taste Pilot's grill; guests pushing past the yellow line to get on the tram before it stops.

I want a job at Disneyland. I will do it for minimum wage. I want to be the CM who says "Did you just cut in line? Don't you think it would be more polite to let these people by and wait for your friends? I think your party needs to wait a few minutes while I let all these other people ahead of you" or "Get off that wall now! Where are your parents?!? Mrs. Ignorance, did you teach your children to act like wild animals or do they come by it naturally?" or "Please step in front of the yellow line. I would really be happy to see you fall under the bus."

Seriously, I want this job. I think I would be really good at it.

adriennek
07-06-2008, 07:48 AM
Seriously, I want this job. I think I would be really good at it.

Do you need a reference for the application? Feel free to use me.

Adrienne

janell
07-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Whats going on with guest these days? I wish there was more Disney could or would do. Because things like this can ruin your day. Im sorry for the CM how had to put up with all that. Guest have no right to be say bad things to CM and spit on them. Pushing is bad enought and that shouldn't happen, even though it does, but the other things gosh I just don't know what to say. It makes me sad our world is going this way and children learn from their parents.

Hugs to the CM for taking things they shouldn't have to take.

ginap73
07-06-2008, 08:11 AM
Those people should be removed from the park and banned for life.

I had some kids cut in front of my mom and I on a ride, and the cast member made them wait and let us on first. :)

MKY4ME
07-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Do you need a reference for the application? Feel free to use me.

Adrienne

I had to tell a bunch of kids to get off the Tommorowland Terrace stage last night--it was posted "Please do not get on the stage" in a HUGE sign, but of course, the rules did not apply to them! It would have been interesting if they had been up there when the stage started rising! yikes! I also saw a boy swinging from a tree by jedi training and heard the branch crack but I was not a CM on duty so really had no authority and there were no CMs in sight.....

we need more like you!

gtpinoy
07-06-2008, 08:21 AM
What do CMs have to protect them? Can they remove guests from the park? People need to remember that when they are at Disneyland they are "GUESTS", not owners. CMs are there to help that experience! Give them a break!!

Foodie
07-06-2008, 09:53 AM
I know it's absolutely not a valid excuse, but I wonder if the tanking economy has anything to do with guests' attitude problems. The idea of "well I spent X amount of money to get in here, and X amount of money on food and water and souvenirs, I'm owed this, that, and the other." It would be interesting if they could do some sort of study on guest behavior in times when the economy is bad compared to when it's healthy, and see if there's a difference.

And by the way, I'm horrified to hear about people spitting on CMs. I'll be visiting the park in just a few weeks and I intend to be as polite as I can possibly be and say my pleases and thank yous to every CM I can...

-Foodie

ellisfamily
07-06-2008, 10:09 AM
That really just upsets me. Most of the CM's do everything and anything they can to make sure each guest has a memorable experience. What a horrible thing for someone to do! Disneyland is a magic place, people should respect that.

When we were there in sept/oct last year, we had a CM who was above and beyond. While waiting for the parade to start, he sat down next to us and just started chatting it up. Asking us where we were from and what was our favorite part and all that. It was great! He ended up giving us some special pins that said something about mayor of main street or something to that effect. And then when the parade had started, I had my sunglasses on my head and was taking pictures, a dwarf from snow white came right ove rto me and handed my camera to my husband, put my sunglasses over my eyes and pulled me up and danced with me. It was a magical parade experience and is a perfect example of why CM's DESERVE RESPECT!

I will make sure to thank a CM or two for their good work on our next trip. Maybe I can help make up for the punks!

olegc
07-06-2008, 10:20 AM
I know it's absolutely not a valid excuse, but I wonder if the tanking economy has anything to do with guests' attitude problems. The idea of "well I spent X amount of money to get in here, and X amount of money on food and water and souvenirs, I'm owed this, that, and the other." It would be interesting if they could do some sort of study on guest behavior in times when the economy is bad compared to when it's healthy, and see if there's a difference.

-Foodie

nah - I think we see some kind of email like this every summer. It tends to happen with higher temperature and the notion that if someone is on vacation they are "entitled" to many more things then they really are.

I won't go into detail - but a conversation I had with a professor a while back was about how in the 40s-early 60s the culture and society was "we" - how do you make sure others are OK or you are working with them. Late 60s to 70s went to "me" and the focus on personal gratification and desire first, then others. been that way ever since... "i feel entitled -I want mine!"

I am not a CM but hope to be one in my retirement because I am a true believer in the ideals of Disneyland. I want to say I support CMs in their tireless role of guest relations and service provision to all of us rude tourists who believe paying money to get in means an open ended invitation to do whatever you want - and not watch your kids. More personal responsibility by families is REALLY necessary these days. I can't tell you how many times I see families walking in the park and one of the parents snap at one of their kids for the smallest thing - and then when mom or dad are not watching they do something worse. That negativity and anger just feeds off of itself instead of a calm control. I guess folks find it easier to lash out and demand instead of staying calm and working together.

Thank you CMs for your efforts.

Toocherie
07-06-2008, 10:22 AM
when I was younger we knew that if we acted up at Disneyland we would get kicked out (or worse, have to face our parents). I think part of the problem these days is that there is not enough enforcement by the CMs--many of them are wonderful . . . . but some just don't care. The "rules" are not consistently enforced so people try to get away with things. Sometimes they succeed. Over the years we (and the CMs) have certainly earned more freedoms as to dress and personal appearance (i.e., some of the outfits I see in Disneyland would not have been allowed several years ago) and I think that contributes to the general degradation of people understanding that they have a certain responsibility to act in a certain way when they are in a special place like Disneyland.

I don't think it's a result of a tanking economy--I think it's just indicative of the general rise in selfishness running rampant in our society. I see it everywhere I go. I laughed last night--I watched the latest installment of the "Die Hard" movies and the character played by Justin Long is a 20-something computer hacker who is extremely self-centered--here they're in a car trying to get away from the "bad guys" and he sees an Arby's and starts whining that he's really hungry . . . . etc.

I see it with certain families who walk as a group and see people trying to get around them and some of the members of the group spread out so they PURPOSELY block the path so people can't get by . . .

I see it with people who run to get two people ahead of someone in line . . .

I also see the kids climbing all over the place and wonder "where are the parents?" "don't they even care that the kids could fall and hurt themselves?" a couple of times I have said something--and you should see the dirty looks I get from the parents (who should have done something to begin with)

I wish Disney had a "code of conduct" that was enforced--i.e. line cutters get taken out of line, etc. No, I wouldn't mind adhering to it because I think it would improve the experience -for me at least-and I probably don't do anything that would violate it. And everyone would then be on a level playing ground.

K & S
07-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Unfortunately as we have become a less polite and well behaved society, we have become a very litigious society. The fear lawsuits ties the hands of a company trying to enforce reasonable rules of conduct.

Which means we all have to tolerate the lowest type of public behavior.

Escape2Disney
07-06-2008, 11:29 AM
I know I've posted this before somewhere, but we had a similar experience on our last trip. While at Carnation Cafe, a bratty child kicked my cane out from under me with his parents 5 feet away. Sometimes I wonder if anyone teaches their kids to be kind! My kids were horrified at this behavior.

While trying to get on POTC (same trip), another group of self-entitled bratty kids wouldn't let me go up the exit (in my wheelchair). Finally a CM rescued me - he walked in front of me and parted the crowd. I saw these kids push him, yell at him, and darn near assault him! He continued to smile and move us forward. He decided to stay with us until we boarded the boat. My kids and I told him he was our hero! He was so touched by how polite my girls were and how grateful we were for his help that he gave us coupons for free 5x7 pictures and hot chocolate.

CMs like this deserve a medal of honor!

ChurroGirl
07-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Escape2Disney thats terrible. If I were you I would have so swatted the kid with my cane! Not hard of course:~D!

Kids behavior towards adults and their respect levels is so low its scary. I know that most parents try their hardest to raise wonderful children but this is out to the ones who turn on the TV and let that raise their children. TURN IT OFF- GO OUT SIDE -- READ A BOOK WITH YOUR KID--AND TEACH THEM SOME DARNED MANORS PLEASE!!!

My nephew went with us to DL and was wonderful with us and every CM he met. It was so cute! But I would be terrified to take my neice because she is like the children E2D explained. She hits my mom and my dad and my nephew. She gets it all from TV cause we dont hit in our families! When we go out to eat with her she will hit the Waitress or Waiters serving us! Its really bad and my sister just turns a blind eye! But if I am there and I try to intervene my sister gets SO MAD at me for trying to discipline her child.

Toocherie
07-06-2008, 12:08 PM
My nephew went with us to DL and was wonderful with us and every CM he met. It was so cute! But I would be terrified to take my neice because she is like the children E2D explained. She hits my mom and my dad and my nephew. She gets it all from TV cause we dont hit in our families! When we go out to eat with her she will hit the Waitress or Waiters serving us! Its really bad and my sister just turns a blind eye! But if I am there and I try to intervene my sister gets SO MAD at me for trying to discipline her child.

sounds to me like it's high time that your parents had a talk with your sister. whether she likes it or not.

and if I was a waiter or waitress and your niece hit me I would refuse to wait on your table. there is no excuse for a parent to allow such behavior

HisKid
07-06-2008, 12:38 PM
She hits my mom and my dad and my nephew. She gets it all from TV cause we dont hit in our families! When we go out to eat with her she will hit the Waitress or Waiters serving us! Its really bad and my sister just turns a blind eye! But if I am there and I try to intervene my sister gets SO MAD at me for trying to discipline her child.

I'm sorry, but with all due respect, she does NOT get it all from TV. She is clearly learning that this is an acceptable behavior from your SISTER. Children who have never seen a TV might lash out in frustration, (a typical coping mechanism for children who are without complex emotional and behavioral control and verbal skills) and if they are not properly corrected and channelled, they will choose what works. We teach our children how to act, through our actions or our inaction. Not that I'm saying that TV is unable to influence their behavior either, as I don't buy this argument at ALL. If TV couldn't influence you, why would there be a television ad industry?

Malcon10t
07-06-2008, 01:19 PM
I have to agree. My kids did watch a lot of TV. They were also involved in karate (still are) and were very into fighting, however, they also knew where it was allowed and where it wasn't. That was MY JOB. If the niece is hitting, she may have learned the strike from TV, but she has learned its allowed from the parents.

We were once walking from Splash to NOS, when out of no where, this guy KICKED the service dog. Why? Who really knows.

In spite of all that, kids do want discipline. An example, there were a couple boys in the doom buggy behind me. Every time we turned sideways, they would reach over and shake my cart. I was just ignoring them. But, MDM was in the cart ahead of me and noticed. We were going thru the the scene where you look down on the party, and she sees them reach over again and yells "Hey, knock it off NOW." They didn't do anything again.

ChurroGirl
07-06-2008, 01:51 PM
I know that my sister doesnt hit her kids and her spouse isnt abusive either, but no they do nothing, and I mean NOTHING to stop her when she starts swinging. It is really awful and I try my best when I am watching her to discipline her properly but I only get her for 2-3 hours maybe a month and then its back to TV and ignorant sister.

I cant believe someone would just randomly kick the service dog! What did the dog ever do to them!
If I were a CM and saw that I would so have called K9 and gotten them chucked out of the park!

Toocherie
07-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Frankie: how old is your niece? just out of curiousity . . .

Glass Slipper
07-06-2008, 02:46 PM
It's sad. We usually only make it to Disneyland once a year, but EVERY time we see this type of behavior:

--holding spots in line for large groups
--talking loudly (to each other AND on cell phones!) on attractions
--cutting in front of us while we are taking pictures
--banging strollers into my mom's wheelchair
--allowing toddlers who can barely walk to stop and play and hold up all the lines while waiting for attractions (please carry them to keep the line moving!)
--allowing children of any age to run wild, scream, cry, push, and climb without any consideration of others
--arguing with CMs over matters that are downright ridiculous (if there are rules, they are there for a REASON, people!)

As others have said, behaviors such as these have become more common in recent years....and unfortunately, have also become acceptable by many. We try our best to ignore these rude indivduals and make the most of each vacation. And we are always thankful for the help and friendliness shown to us by the CMs all over the resort. My mom, now in her eighties, has always received the BEST treatment by CMs with everything from boarding attractions to being seated at restaurants to handling luggage at the DLH.

Last October we celebrated my B'day at Ariel's Grotto, and not only were we seated at our favorite table at the end of the pier, but when we told our server that my mom can't always see well to take photos and I would like some pics with the princesses, he asked a CM photographer to "stand by" to take the pics with my camera each time a princess would stop at our table. Then, there was a long delay in getting the restaurant pictures with Ariel printed, so when they were ready we were told we could have the package free of charge for the delay. Totally unexpected, but very much appreciated! Also, four restaurant CMs came out and sang 'Happy Birthday' to me, which has never happened to me anywhere before....and I'm 43!!! So that is just one example of the wonderful encounters we have with the CMs on our trips. They should not have to put up with the rudeness of guests, but I'm afraid it is not about to stop. :crying:

Thanks to all CMs for everything you do to make Disneyland a magical place! :)

ChurroGirl
07-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Frankie: how old is your niece? just out of curiousity . . .

She will be 2 in January and smarter than her 4 year old cousins!

mrsdisney68
07-06-2008, 02:58 PM
It is definitly a sad commentary on the state of our families in America. There are alot of parents out there that have just given up on parenting, they do let tv, schools, etc do it for them. I am by no means a perfect parent but I know my children would never be abusive towards another person in anyway. Our household in very strong in the christian faith, and for us that is what helps us through all stressful situations. I try to be as polite to people as I would want them to be to me. Do I still get irratated at times of course but I try to put it in perspective, and alot of times I will end up praying for that person or family.