PDA

View Full Version : Lower prices in the fall to buy DVC?

Karen Hufman
07-04-2008, 07:45 AM
We want to buy DVC resale, but are really strapped for cash. Does anyone know what time of the year the prices normally fall? We only need about 100 points because we live in Orlando area.

GusMan
07-05-2008, 07:32 PM
From what I can tell, pricing is not really "seasonal" in nature on the resale market. This is especially the case since DVC can and does exercise the right to buy up contracts with lower sale prices via their right of first refusal clause.

I would be willing to think that if you want to buy, and have a set budget, start considering your resort choices and how many points you want within that budget. In my opinion, there really is no better time than the present to become a member.

Also, it is my understanding that DVC is offering some first time buyers a 100-point minimum buy in with some other incentives. You may want to look into them as well to see how they stack up with the resale offerings you are looking at.

Sue Holland
07-06-2008, 12:48 PM
The price of dvc only goes up - it has never gone down. A 50-year membership that sold for $50/point in 1991 now only has 34 years left but sells for $80-something per point. With the resorts selling so well, I don't see Disney ever lowering the price.

Karin
07-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Prices are what they are. There's not a "sale" season or "Hey, you know sales have slowed down a bit, let's lower the prices and get some revenue going."

Sorry, with there was a sale time of year. I think everyone would hold for that time if there was!

richma
07-08-2008, 04:50 AM
If you are looking for a budget-friendly option- you should consider the following: Some Vero Beach resale contracts have been recently waived at around $53./pt and recent OKW have been waived at around $75/pt. Since you live in Central Florida- the Vero Beach option may work well for you needs. The short drive will allow you more flexibility on accepting available reservations than the average owner. The annual fees for Vero are slightly higher (about $100 to $150 more per year than other home resorts) but on a small pt contract it doesn't add up to much.

If you require financing for a resale purchase, you'll need to have excellent credit. A few common sources are home equity lines, or a personal line of credit through a vendor such as Tammac Financial or First Again.

Your other option is to purchase directly with DVC.. They have recently lowered the down payment requirement- but I'm only aware of the 100pt level currently being sold via the Doorway to Dreams venue in Chicago. If you purchase onsite in Orlando- you are probably going to be required to take a 160 pt allotment at AKV at around $104. per pt minus incentives.

Disney is a great program that will give you years of enjoyment! I use it routinely for just a few nights at a time (I'm also in Central Florida- I've done the Lake Jessup airboat rides several times in Oviedo) and the kids just love the mini getaways and waking up on Disney property!

Good luck!

GusMan
07-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Your other option is to purchase directly with DVC.. They have recently lowered the down payment requirement- but I'm only aware of the 100pt level currently being sold via the Doorway to Dreams venue in Chicago. If you purchase onsite in Orlando- you are probably going to be required to take a 160 pt allotment at AKV at around $104. per pt minus incentives.
It is my understanding that they are offering the 100 point minimum on-site as well. However, from what I can tell from what people are saying, you really want to compare the 100 point buy in versus the typical 160 point buy in. Sometimes the incentives with 160 points may outweigh the lower cost of entry of a 100 point contract.

richma
07-09-2008, 05:07 AM
Thanks, GusMan- I hadn't heard that the 100 pt was being sold other than at the Doorway site and on a few select cruises.. I just left a message for a DVC sales mgr in Orlando to confirm- I'll post what he tells me (although I am still waiting on an answer to the Canadian buyer question from yesterday- that must be a touchy subject 'cuz if it takes more than a few hours for an answer- you know it is being reviewed by DVC Compliance!...)

If DVC has finally opened the small packages to the Orlando sales, and combines that offer with the lower down payment requirement- we should see a nice influx of new members coming into the DVC family. This is bad news for resale in the short term- but good news for the market as a whole!

If you are a new buyer and you're not really sure what point total you need, or if the DVC program will really work for you- the smaller point package is a safer entry opportunity. You can get into the system and experience the DVC lifestyle, and you always have the opportunity to add points later via Disney or resale.

It's much easier to add points- than to reduce (reduction requires a sale and repurchase)! Also, selling the 150 and 160 packages can be tough because there are so many on the market.. The smaller contracts have always sold quickly on resale- and it should still take a few more years before we see supply overtake demand on these smaller contracts.