PDA

View Full Version : What will YOU celebrate at the Disneyland Resort next year?

Pages : [1] 2

AVP
07-02-2008, 09:37 AM
From my blog: (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/blog.php?b=206)

If the commercial being filmed on Main Street yesterday afternoon can be taken as confirmation of a rumor I've been hearing for a couple of months, it looks like the Disneyland Resort will promote the Year of Celebrations in 2009, with the tag line "What Will You Celebrate?"

Portions of Main Street were roped off yesterday so film crews could tape footage of a princess gown-clad child and her mother walking down the lane, with the grandparents keeping pace a few feet behind. Cast members in stores up and down the street were chatting about the new promotion, though details at the hourly CM level are sketchy at best.

Everything I've heard about the new promotion - and I'll admit that most of what I've heard is rumor from people who may or may not be in the right departments to know the full details - is that this is a revamped version of the Magical Gatherings product from Walt Disney World (link (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/special/magicalgatherings/landing?id=MagicalGatheringLandingPage) to the WDW page).

Celebrating a birthday, an anniversary, a family reunion? Come to Disneyland! (Or as a cast member snarked to me regarding the lack of new rides being built at Disneyland, "We got nothing, you think of a reason to visit.")

2009 is a bridge year for Disney - the 55th anniversary is in 2010 - so a low-key promotion makes sense. During an interview session at the opening event for Toy Story Midway Mania I asked Xiomara Wiley, Vice President of Marketing for the Disneyland Resort, if an annual promotion is even necessary. Couldn't we just designate 2009 as the "Year of Being Open!" and move on?

What remains to be seen is how the Disneyland Resort tailors a WDW-sized product to a SoCal market. The Disneyland Resort can certainly position themselves as a destination park for milestone celebrations, but not on the same terms as Walt Disney World. WDW expects that you are going to bring a crowd and stay for the week to celebrate little Bobby's 3rd birthday or your parent's 25th wedding anniversary.

I've often celebrated a friend's birthday "on property," sometimes with groups of a dozen or more, but none of us even rent hotel rooms, much less stay for a week. For many locals, a family reunion may mean that their annual-passholder relatives in Arizona drive in for the weekend.

I'd like to see Disneyland create offerings and unique experiences that don't require a lengthy trip. This is really a great opportunity for the Disneyland Resort to reevaluate some of the offerings they currently have - like the impersonal group birthday party at the Plaza Inn - and look for ways to make them more appealing to locals and repeat visitors.

AVP

Andrew
07-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Hmm... 2009? Our tenth wedding anniversary is this year. I think the only celebration I'll have next year is the return of MouseAdventure: The Enchanted Race. (plug)

cstephens
07-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Hmm... 2009? Our tenth wedding anniversary is this year.

Our tenth is next year. Disney is free to offer to have everyone celebrate ours all year long.

tchatters
07-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Our tenth anniversary is also next year! I have no idea if we'll celebrate in the park... but we'll be there for DS's 6th birthday and DH's birthday in April 09.

It'd be nice to have a personal way to celebrate a birthday other than what already exists. I have no idea what... maybe a character meet and greet like you get for the Visa card with proof of a birthday that month? Check in at main street get your birthday button and one fast pass? I have no idea but something cool.

For us, we'll be celebrating by doing Discover the Magic Tour... DS will love it!

darph nader
07-02-2008, 10:48 AM
We'll celebrate price of gas going down. If it does'nt we may not make it.:crying:

Mrs Mouse
07-02-2008, 11:06 AM
It'll be our one-year wedding anniversary. We'll probably be celebrating having no money left over to take a Disney trip. :p

EeyoreGirl
07-02-2008, 12:09 PM
We're planning on celebrating ds' 4th birthday at DL in March. We'll likely go down for 4 or 5 days just because we like having the extra days with 2 little ones.

disneyperson
07-02-2008, 12:13 PM
My birthday, Zero's 20th birthday (What? did I just say 20! :eek::eek:) , and Halloween 2010.

OK, and maybe Christmas.

Oh and Bats Day which should be in the spring in 2010.

Boo's Mommy
07-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Wow, let me add my name to the list of those celebrating their 10th Anniversary!!!

Matterhorn Yodeler
07-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Wow...what a coincidence!

In the year 2009, everyone I know will be celebrating a birthday!:p

Truly a "Year of Celebrations"!:D

EeyoreGirl
07-02-2008, 02:07 PM
LOL! You're funny Yodeler! :D

ssturgeo
07-03-2008, 06:32 AM
Every trip (only get to go once or twice a year from Indiana) to Disneyland is a celebration for me! I celebrate just BEING THERE again!!

Sharon
Next Trip
Nov. 16-22

yohomama212
07-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Uh, 2009 marks our 4th wedding anniversary, the birth of baby #4, my 27th bday, DH's 32nd bday, DD#2's 2nd bday, DD#1's 4th day, and DS' 7th bday. Not exactly momentous occasions worthy of extravagance at the DLR! And pretty much every other visit or so to the parks is a family reunion since there's no more extended family we wish to claim. Yipee! :rolleyes:

Elizabeth

underthesea
07-03-2008, 07:50 AM
we will be going in May to celebrate our 9th anniversary, mothers day and my sisters 30th b-day (any reason to go is a good one isn't it)

MoKat72
07-03-2008, 07:53 AM
I'm celebrating my birthday there in December 2008...no exciting promotion for me, I guess!

However, here's a funny thing: When I made my hotel reservation yesterday and told the CM the trip was for my birthday, she asked me who was my favorite character. Do you think Pluto will actually help carry our bags to our room when we check in?

Hey, a girl can dream, right? ;)

yohomama212
07-03-2008, 08:19 AM
I don't know if Pluto will carry your bags to your room, but there's a good chance you'll get some kind of birthday wish from the top dawg! When we went for our anniversary we got a signed pic from Mickey and Minnie congratulating us!

Happy Birthday!

Elizabeth

samkj
07-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Well next year is big for us. We'll be getting premium passes, and be there to celebrate our DD's birthday (9) in Feb, our 15th anniversary, DH's and DD(11) b-days in May, Half-marathon (Labor day?), DS's (8) in Nov and my 40th in December.

Of course after all that we'll most likely skip 2010 and return again in 2011.

Eighty8Keys
07-03-2008, 09:24 AM
After seeing how much fun my DS, Dad and Nephew had celebrating their birthdays at DLR the past two years, I had already decided to take a birthday trip next February to celebrate mine. I know it will be one of my best birthdays, with or without any official promotion.

Autopia Guy
07-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Yay for Magical Celebrations (Thats the name of the promotion as far as I know at this time) and the taping of the commercial. It sure made a mess of Town Square though.

And did everyone else like the stereotypical Disney family? All with matching sky blue tees that had in big bold printing "The Hill Family". And grandpa even had on mickey ears ... with the embroidery on the wrong side.

Im hoping that this year isn't going to be pushed as hard as YoaMD was. Just something to tide over till the 55th and we are good.

adriennek
07-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Ok, that explains the commercial we saw being filmed yesterday in Fantasyland... The actors were wearing shirts that looked like they were supposed to be from a "University" - I'm thinking, graduation?

2009 is our 15th wedding anniversary...

Adrienne

Malcon10t
07-03-2008, 06:39 PM
HEY! I just figured out I will be celebrating my xxth birthday in 2009!!!!!! Gotta go to Disneyland!

cfitz/pirates
07-04-2008, 01:24 PM
We will be celebrating my DD 8th Bday with dinner at Goofy's kitchen.

ChurroGirl
07-04-2008, 03:09 PM
It will be my 24th Birthday in July and I am determined to go to DLR for it, hoping to stay at GCH!

Our 5year anniversary of being together and 1 year of being married!

His 27th bday! and the Birth of our new puppies!! I love boxers...:D

Congrats cfitz/pirates on hitting your 1year mark for your trip!

Mermaid
07-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Uh. I will be celebrating my wedding.... but because of that, I am not sure I will make it to DL in 2009. :eek: We are going in November though.... and WDW in Oct 09. My fiance will be turning 30, but he wants to go to Cooperstown. :confused: :D Maybe I can get some girls to go with me to DL!

ETA- The real question is..... will they be celebrating Dream Fastpasses in 09? I have gotten soooo spoiled!

kisroo
07-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Uh. I will be celebrating my wedding.... but because of that, I am not sure I will make it to DL in 2009. :eek: We are going in November though.... and WDW in Oct 09. My fiance will be turning 30, but he wants to go to Cooperstown. :confused: :D Maybe I can get some girls to go with me to DL!

ETA- The real question is..... will they be celebrating Dream Fastpasses in 09? I have gotten soooo spoiled!

Oh, I'm there! (And there WILL be Dream FPs!) ;) We've got serious mojo to keep going into 2009, sistah! Just 'cause you're getting married doesn't mean you can't squeeze in a weekend trip, right? A girl can NOT live by wedding dresses, tiaras, and fancy wedding cakes alone. Consider it a bachelorette party?? I happen to know where to get a mean mojito. Just sayin'.

:p

~kisroo:)

ETA: Hey, look! A in-post ad for wedding dresses just for you. See? I'm a giver...