PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Worker Falls (7/2/08)

bassett1976
07-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Not much information at this time.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local&id=6240949

danyoung
07-02-2008, 08:21 AM
From the photo, this happened in Tomorrowland. I wonder if there was a worker up on top of Innoventions doing some finishing work???

Andrew
07-02-2008, 09:27 AM
He fell three feet off a ladder, and seems to be okay but was sent to hospital as a precaution.

bassett1976
07-02-2008, 10:41 AM
He fell three feet off a ladder, and seems to be okay but was sent to hospital as a precaution.

Its kind of funny that if I did that at home I'd get laughed at for falling off a ladder. If this happens at DL you get news choppers flying over head and it hits mainstream news.

EeyoreGirl
07-02-2008, 12:11 PM
I don't know why it was news but I would guess that he was sent to be checked out so that he has less excuse to sue Disney.

I once worked with someone who wanted his people to report a paper cut and go get it checked out by the onsite nurse. I'm serious.

gtpinoy
07-02-2008, 12:15 PM

I thought he fell off the roof or something. I'm not surprised by the precautions they are taking though. Getting the worker checked out at a local hospital is much cheaper than later down the road getting a lawsuit.

Karin
07-02-2008, 12:22 PM
It would be my expectation that any employer would want an amployee checked out after falling 3 feet of a ladder to be sure 1) they are ok and 2) that they won't sue or claim worker's comp.

Matterhorn Yodeler
07-02-2008, 01:38 PM
The article says the worker fell five feet off a ladder and that he was in his 70's. I would think it is the responsible thing to do to transport him to a hospital to get checked out.

Andrew
07-02-2008, 01:54 PM
The article says the worker fell five feet off a ladder and that he was in his 70's. I would think it is the responsible thing to do to transport him to a hospital to get checked out.
It said three when it was first posted, and this section has been added since then:

"A roofing consultant lost his balance and fell approximately 5 feet resulting in a minor shoulder injury. He was transported to western medical center for evaluation," said Disneyland spokeswoman Betsy Sanchez in a statement.
However, I completely agree that transporting the man to the hospital was the correct action.

gtpinoy
07-02-2008, 02:07 PM
5 feet is a little more significant of a fall than 3 feet, however a fall is a fall.

newhdplayer
07-02-2008, 03:48 PM
people in their 70's shouldn't be on ladders:)

glad he's ok, though.

Katlovett
07-02-2008, 09:55 PM
A person can really hurt himself just by slipping and falling on the ground, from no height at all and regardless of age. Depending on what sort of surface is beneath them - for example, concrete is the worst - a child falling 5' from a playstructure who lands head-first can even die; that is why there are such strict guidelines concerning playground surfaces and how many inches of shredded rubber / wood bark / loose sand are required.

And if the injured employee files a worker's comp claim for his on-the-job injuries, why would there be anything wrong with that? Worker's comp covers on-the-job injuries regardless of whether the injury was the employee's own fault. BTW, employees are not allowed to file lawsuits against their employers in California unless there is intentional wrongful conduct (for example assault and battery or sexual harassment) on the part of the employer.

Katprint
Always only my own opinions

tchatters
07-03-2008, 06:02 AM
A person can really hurt himself just by slipping and falling on the ground, from no height at all and regardless of age.

So true... I shattered a bone in my foot falling 6 inches off the back step at my house. I completely blacked out and was unconscious until my then 18 month old son stepped on me. Not pretty... and I'm nowhere near 70.

My grandfather was still climbing on ladders at 85, trimming trees off the roof at their rental properties.

If Disney said "Hey old guy, you can't climb that ladder" they'd have an age discrimination lawsuit on their hands for sure.

mommy-san
07-03-2008, 06:16 AM
My Dad shattered both heels, his foot and broke his ankle falling off a ladder at work. (on my birthday, while i was at Disneyland 2000 miles from home... not a phone call you want to get while standing in the hotel lobby!)
Surgeon thought he might actually lose one of his feet if he got infection after the surgery. Now that he is recovered, I have a secret wish to move him in with the 7 dwarfs so that he never has to climb a ladder again.

tonytone
07-03-2008, 10:19 AM
I don't know why it was news...
Agreed--it must have been a slow news day for KABC to be reporting that someone fell off a roof. Now if he had died as a result of that fall at Disneyland--sure I can see it being newsworthy...otherwise...like I said, it must have been a slow news day over at KABC.

Note--I'm not saying or implying that the accident wasn't newsworthy enough to be mentioned here on MP so please don't misinterpret my post that way.

SoCalDisneyLover
07-03-2008, 03:04 PM
From the photo, this happened in Tomorrowland. I wonder if there was a worker up on top of Innoventions doing some finishing work???

If I was a worker at Disneyland, the LAST place I'd want to get injured, would be at Innoventions. How unexciting and depressing.

dznyphreak
07-04-2008, 10:55 PM
I was wondering why there was a fire engine (a real one...not the Main St. Fire Engine) in the Hub and half of Tomorrowland was closed off Wed. morning...They also opened 15 minutes late too and wouldn't tell anyone why.

Guess that's cleared up then. Glad he wasn't too seriously injured.

BQ2
07-05-2008, 11:44 AM
people in their 70's shouldn't be on ladders:

Ditto :D

Niwel
07-05-2008, 02:20 PM
I was wondering why there was a fire engine (a real one...not the Main St. Fire Engine) in the Hub and half of Tomorrowland was closed off Wed. morning...They also opened 15 minutes late too and wouldn't tell anyone why.

A ha! We were wondering -- I thought it was because they were filming...