PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Disneyland Rides

Pages : [1] 2

ChurroGirl
07-01-2008, 08:42 PM
So I figured we have a thread about what rides we dislike, why not have one of the ones we like and discuss!

Name your top 3 favorite attractions you have to see or ride in a trip and why. You know the ones you have to do or you wont be happy when you leave!

1. Pirates of The Caribbean: I have seen the pics of Walt testing the boats and whenever I am on it going down the waterfalls I can just imagine him going down them and thinking they arent big enough or not thrilling enough. I just love it. That and the song is catchy too!
2. Splash Mountain: Just for the simple fact that the story is great but when the voulchers are looking down asking why arent we laughing I just get so nervous cause I know the drop is coming and I dont want to go down but when it comes, the hands go in the air, I scream in joy and then get soaked! WICKED FUN!!
3. Its a Small World: I know I am crazy but I love the song! The lyrics and meaning behind the whole thing, ride, characters, and song, the really meaning behind it all is just a really powerful message. "With Just one moon and one golden sun, and a smile means friendship to everyone!":D

Alright padders, YOUR TURN!

Holly Daze
07-01-2008, 08:56 PM
1) The Haunted Mansion: Hands down. I've always been fascinated by the more sinister rides with their effects and this one I've been hooked on since I was small and both scared and captured by it. It fills my dark void (fun to learn about it's inner workings too). :)
2) Pirates of the Caribbean: This is not only just a whole lot of fun but it is also one that everyone I know loves too! One of these days we'll get all of us together in the same spot and fill at least one boat.
3) Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye: When this opened 13 years ago and was dubbed "The Temple of the 4 Mile Line" everyone I talked to was impressed that even the line had something unique about it. We had great times reading the walls and setting off the traps.

Looking back at my top 3, I guess it's all about the memories. I have to admit though, as a collector of "useless facts" it's great knowing the backstories and technical specs too!

dkthepainter
07-01-2008, 09:15 PM
I like Splash Mt. a great deal.
Gotta love Indy.
Just discovered Alice in Wonderland (the ride that is. I've known about the book, and movie for quite some time, though some would believe that I must be living under a rock:geek:). I enjoyed it alot actually/surprisingly.

woody9six
07-01-2008, 09:44 PM
In no particular order...

~Pirates of the Carribbean-This has always been the quintessential Disneyland ride to me. I can't put my finger on just one thing...but it is the entire sensory experience. The sights sounds, smells... I love it! I loved it as a kid 30 years ago, and I love it now!

~Peter Pan- I don't know what it is about the ride itself, but I love it. Perhaps it is the sensation of flying, or maybe the details of London as I fly over. I know much of it has to do with my love of the story. Perhaps it is all metaphorical of the fact that at Disneyland, I feel like I am in Neverland, and all of the worries and concerns of adulthood can be left in the Mickey and Friends lot..

~The Enchanted Tiki Room- May seem like an odd choice, but again, it is quintessential Disneyland to me. I don't have the long history with this attraction as I do with Pirates, but I am disappointed if I leave the park and not experienced the Tiki Room. And for me...I have to see all of the tiki gods and goddesses in the courtyard pre-show or I feel like I have been cheated. Dole Whip anyone?

Donald Duck Fan68
07-01-2008, 09:45 PM
1. Indy. The perfect blend of immersive environment, story, thrills, and unique experiences to get me always wanting to ride it again and again. Even the queue is so detailed that it's almost an attraction all by itself. I remember the days before FastPass when they were giving out the decoder cards and the buildup for the ride was so much more intense due to the slow but steady movement through the outer court and into the caverns with all the hidden traps and surprises.

2. Tower of Terror, if I'm allowed to include a DCA attraction. If not, then probably Space Mtn. I was in the DLR for a solo trip in the spring of 2005 and fell in love with ToT. I must have ridden it at least 10 times on that trip. I used to work in a hotel, so I loved the theming, and I got a very creepy Bellhop on the first ride, so that really added to the whole experience. Space was the first ride my high school friends and I rode on Grad Nite '86.

3. Jungle Cruise for sentimental reasons. It was the first ride on a much anticipated return trip when I was in about seventh grade. (My first trip was when I was like 2 years old and I only remember the escalator by the monorail). I just remember being so happy to finally be in Disneyland riding an attraction and yet the sense of being immersed in some exotic African jungle story. I'm really partial to the whole left side of the park (Adventure Land, NOS, Frontierland, Critter Country) so just about any attraction on there is also on my "must do" list.

ShirleyFilms
07-02-2008, 07:52 AM
1. Haunted Mansion. - It's so rare that a theme park can touch on those darker aspects of things and do it well. I think it's great that a ride like this exists...especially in light of the modern world. In a world where people are up in arms over Indy punching a woman in an action show... I think its a great stroke of luck that we still have Master Gracey hanging by his neck in the portrait room.

2. Splash Mountain. - Just a perfect blend of all things Disneyland, IMHO. So many animatronics, water, drops, good music, atmosphere. I smile from beginning to end, every time. Feels like home.

3. Pirates of the Caribbean, - Again, a healthy mix of adult themes and childhood adventure. Plus, there is just SOMETHING about that first drop!

:D

jcatron243
07-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Hmmm, favorite rides:

Haunted Mansion~ just love it. Usually the first ride we hit.

Space Mountain, I can ride it alone and still love it.

Indy, last time I didn't ride it because it went down. :(

Hard to choose my favorites.

IdahoMike
07-02-2008, 08:23 AM
Here's my top 3 today. Ask me tomorrow, it may be completely different :p

1.) Indy: Love, love, love Indy, has been my favorite since we rode it on our honeymoon in 1996 and waited over 2 hrs to get on.

2.) Pirates: I find new details every time we ride this, and that makes it a new experience each and every time.

3.) Matterhorn: for one reason, it is unique to DL, for another, it is tons of fun, and a 3rd reason, it brings back memories of 1979 and my first trip to DL at age 8. Slid so far down in the sled that the seatbelt was around my neck at the end!

FolsomFan
07-02-2008, 08:36 AM
After giving this some thought (and who doesn't like to think about Disneyland?), here are my three:

Matterhorn - I love the feeling of being slightly out of control and this ride does that to me. Plus, I will always remember how my youngest son was so scared to go on this is first time but at the end of the ride, he wanted to go on it again right away.

Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters - I am a video game geek and love Toy Story, so this ride combines two of my favorite things. Plus, I know where most of the "secret" targets are, so that makes it even better. Also, you get a free picture of yourself on the ride when you are done!

Pirates - Too much of a classic to leave off the list. I remember going on it with my Dad and now I am taking my own kids on it. That is a cool feeling.

Just missed: Splash Mountain, Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion.

ChurroGirl
07-02-2008, 11:07 AM
I am a fool for sentiment so reading all of your answers is really great!

IdahoMike: Reguarding your new experience on POTC, thats how it is for me and my FDH whenever we step foot in the park itself. Everyday is a new day and new experiences.

Today I will have to add, Matterhorn, we went on this as night began to fall over the park and it was the best ever! Through all the open turns we were able to see the park light up and become this majestic lifeforce. That truely was magical.

futurecm21
07-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Excuse me while I cry over the fact that I'm many many miles away from the happiest place on earth...:crying:

Ok over the sadness now on to the remembering of my favorite rides. It usually helps keep my spirits up!

1) Without a doubt its the Haunted Mansion. Its just such a classic. its always the first ride, or my number two choice, it depends, that we hit when we visit the park. Theres just nothing that can beat it, don't miss it the next time you visit any of the parks!

2) Pirates of the Caribbean. and the Disneyland version is the best. The Blue Bayou is what makes it all worthwhile. Especially the restaurant. stepping from the heat of outside California into nighttime in the deep south, and then touring the life of pirates is the best part of any visit.

3) Well they may have changed but the boats on the Rivers of America are still my third favorite. The SS Columbia in particular. Its relaxing, historic, and amazing that such life size ships can run in Disneyland. Untill everything changed my favorite part was seeing the "wildlife" on the shores of Tom Sawyers Island. I don't know how much is still there, but I still say anytime any of the boats are operating check them out!

futurecm21

neverlander
07-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Peter Pan (of course), Pirates, and Small World all bring back fond childhood memories. Our daughters now love these attractions as well.

EeyoreGirl
07-02-2008, 12:05 PM
You know, thinking about this I realize now that we have little ones, I don't ride my favorite rides because it's no fun to ride alone while dh waits with kids. I'm anxiously awaiting the day my 3yo is tall enough to ride with me. Anyway, here there are:

1. Star Tours - I have always been fascinated by this ride. Mostly because I love Star Wars but also because I'm an engineer geek (being an Imagineer would be my dream job) and I love thinking about how it works.

2. Indy - Love the movie and love the ride. The details are amazing (like most Disney attractions).

3. Splash Mountain - I love the drop at the end, although I don't like getting wet, especially if it's chilly.

KDCartoons
07-02-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm going to combine DCA and DL into my favs list....just cuz.

I agree with Pirates of the Caribbean being pretty the definitive Disney ride, and certain one of the most, if not the most immersive. Easily my fav because it offers so much.

My second fav.........Grizzly River Run. Rode it for the first time in 06, had such a blast that upon exiting the ride ( dripping wet), I turned and looked at my wife and kids and said " lets do it again!".
And we did just that!

Indy was great, but when I rode it ( Aug 06) I kept getting the idea there was something missing, that parts of the ride were not being shown. Still very good. I get the impression that the real hallmark rides tell something of a story. Not just a sensory experience, but an participatory one--that seems to be one of the trademarks of the rides that are most memorable.

Although I'm not a fan of Haunted house at all, I'd have to grudgingly acknowledge that Disney's is the best in its class. Its probably the second most immersive ride after POTC.

My boys loved Star Tours, and I agree with them. Their first ride, and one of my favs. When the movie changes, this could become one of the greats--it needs the films shown to be rotated though.

One that I really liked in my first visit to the park, way back in the late 70's: the Monorail. Something about that ride just set the whole place up for me.
Riding it from the DL Hotel into Tomorrowland always seemed to be the perfect way to enter the park to me.

Matterhorn Yodeler
07-02-2008, 01:26 PM
1. Pirates of the Caribbean - Best of the best that Disney has to offer. Great atmosphere, great story, great technology, some thrills along the way. Most immersive attraction at Disneyland.

2. Space Mountain - Usually end my day here with a few fast-paced thrill rides before I go home. I save my FP's during the day for the big finish!

3. Disneyland Railroad - This is truly one of the "classic" Disneyland experiences. If it were not for Walt's interest in trains, he might not have dreamed up Disneyland. Love taking the grand circle tour. Love the dioramas. It is also a relaxing break from the hectic pace of the day.

If we are including California Adventure, I'd say:

3A. Soarin' - Great ride technology, beautiful film, smell-o-vision, wonderful music score. Very relaxing and yet totally exciting!

findin mickeys
07-02-2008, 02:57 PM
I can only pick three, huh?:crying:

Does a show count? I know you said rides, but no trip is complete for us without seeing Billy Hill and the Hillbillies. They are such a great group of guys and an excellent place to rest or get out of the heat, enjoy a snack and a cool drink.

Space Mountain is another favorite of mine and my family. We have to hit that ride at least 5-6 times per trip.

Pirates would be my final pick, if anything just for the fact that it was Walt's last masterpiece. Even with the updates to include Capt. Jack Sparrows story, it is one of the most detailed attractions that captivates everyone who rides.

Runner ups are:
Peter Pan
Indy
Mr. Toad
Tower
Screamin
Soarin'
Haunted Mansion
Buzz
Jungle Cruise
Canoes (yes, my family does enjoy paddling around the river)

ChurroGirl
07-02-2008, 03:39 PM
findin mickeys if you want to include all the reasons why your runners up are good, Lets hear it!

Rule revamp if possible! If you have more than 3 favorite rides, lets hear why? I am sorry I narrowed it down last night, I had 3 stuck in my head for some reason!

Alice in Wonderland! I love this ride, just the thought of traveling in real life through a small image of what Alice did in the movies and book is always a fun adventure!

What's "Disney"?
07-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Wow, Pirates is a hit! Pirates interests me because it messes with the traditional dark ride formula...

Think about it: A typical dark ride aims to make EVERYTHING distorted and creepy. Pirates presents a horrifying concept in a lighthearted manner. Essentially, it is a "reverse dark ride."

Simply put, Pirates is Disneyland's crowning achievement. Its scale, technology, and atmosphere are mind-boggling.

Here are a few of my favorites:

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage Although Disneyland will never be complete, an active submarine lagoon makes it feel MORE complete.

Enchanted Tiki Room Warm and charming. A technological milestone; a reminder of a more innocent past.

Golden Dreams This film has a style that reminds me of a 1982 Epcot film. Very thoughtful, very well directed.

I also love Soarin' over California. When I first rode it, I thought I was the first person to discover the hit ride of California Adventure.

Glass Slipper
07-02-2008, 05:58 PM
My "Top 10"!

10-Monorail
9-Orange Stinger
8-Alice In Wonderland
7-Casey Jr. Circus Train
6-Golden Dreams
5-Haunted Mansion
4-Pirates of the Caribbean
3-It's A Small World

Numbers 2 & 1 are tied: Splash Mountain & Soarin' Over California! Love them both soooooo much! Can never get enough of them! :)

Too many reasons to list why all of these are top faves, but it's mostly because I am sentimental, and these rides are either ones I consider "classics" or have somehow given me great memories!

Also, if we could include favorites of "yesteryear", then I would definitely add these two to make it my "Top 12": Peoplemover & America Sings!

LuvPluto
07-02-2008, 06:08 PM
My #1 favorite ride is BTMRR. I loveeee all of the animals and doing the Goat Trick.

#2 is the Matterhorn because the snowman rocks!

#3 is Pirates because it is awesome!

I really love all of the rides (except for Space Mt. because it makes me sick).:eek:

californiagirlx7
07-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Well I love almost any Disney ride (except for the ones that just go in a circle, like Astro Orbiter and Dumbo) so this is a hard decision...I guess my top 3 in Disneyland would be (in no particular order):

1. Splash Mountain - One of the most thrilling rides at the park (that huge drop at the end gets me every time). I also looove water rides, especially ones that have a good story and last more than 2 minutes.

2. Pirates of the Caribbean - A classic attraction that I have to ride several times each visit to Disneyland. Pirates was one of my favorite rides even before the movie came out and I love everything about it, from the beginning with the fireflies to the drops to the treasure scenes to the ending in Tortuga. I even like the hologram of Davy Jones.

3. Haunted Mansion - I especially love it when its decorated in the spirit of A Nightmare Before Christmas because it combines my two favorite holidays and it is designed after one of my favorite movies. The ride is just creepy enough and is one of the most detailed attractions at the park.

Runner-Up: Indiana Jones - Sometimes this ride is extremely thrilling (usually when I'm at the front, behind the wheel) but sometimes it doesn't feel as exciting as I remember it to be. However, this ride has one of the most interesting queues and its always fun to pretend that you are inside one of Indiana Jones's adventures.

I have to do a separate list for California Adventure because it can not compare in some aspects to Disneyland. My top 3:

1. Soarin' over California - Amazing, inventive ride that celebrates the best features of my favorite place in the world (CA, obviously).

2. Tower of Terror - I liked the Disney movie a lot and I was thrilled when they constructed the ride in CA Adventure. I love how it feels like you are in a real hotel and the drop (just like Splash Mountain) still gets me every time.

3. California Screamin' - The best part of this ride is that it is not a short ride and it is relatively smooth, unlike most coasters. It's fun, plain and simple.

Runner-Up: Grizzly River Run - An exciting version of the usual tubing rides that you can find at almost any amusement park but it has exhilarating drops and great views.

clockworkmonkey
07-02-2008, 08:44 PM
1) The Haunted Mansion - the macabre masterpiece, even with that silly new bride. Whenever the Ghost Host asks for that 1,000th volunteer, I'm always ready.

2) Jungle Cruise - with ever Skip, a different trip. When you get a great skipper, there's not better attraction. You might hear a lot of the same jokes over and over, but it's never exactly the same ride twice.

3) Pirates of the Caribbean - Amazing immersive environment. Glorious scale and grand ambition. If I liked pirates as much as I like ghosts, this would probably be my #1.

bassett1976
07-02-2008, 10:23 PM
My top three are:

1) Jungle Cruise, love the jokes (I love puns)
2) Splash Mountain, love the theme and the drop is a blast!
3) Haunted Mansion, as a child I hated the ride but I love the sillieness of the "outside" area with the singing busts and the singing.

Mrs Mouse
07-02-2008, 10:43 PM
My favorites:

1. Splash Mountain - there is something about this ride that is just quintessential Disney to me. The animatronics, the songs, the story line, the happy ending, there is literally nothing that I dislike about this ride. My trip just would not be complete without it. Plus, my two favorite animatronics call this ride home - after the big drop, as you round the bend, there's a porcupine and a racoon playing the drums (on a turtle, no less) and the harmonica, respectively. I just adore them. :)

2. Matterhorn - I love the fact that this ride is a true original. I know that it's not the most thrilling, and it's not very complex at all, but the fact that Disneyland is the only place you can find it, means that the Matterhorn holds a very special place in my heart. Plus, nothing beats zooming through the "Alps" at night, watching the lights of Fantasyland zip past. Gorgeous.

3. Pirates - this has always been our very first ride once we get to the park. My family and I went to WDW when I was young and though I don't remember much about that trip, I do remember that Pirates is the very first thing we rode. This is a tradition that I've continued with my DH-to-be. I love the music, the attention to detail, the beauty of the Blue Bayou and the smell. It's just magic.

Runners up: BTMRR, because I know how much my mom loves it. She'd be happy going on nothing but. And Soarin', because it hits all the senses. It's truly a ride where you can lose yourself and you truly believe that you are actually "soaring over California." It's just all-encompassing.

kiki
07-03-2008, 12:03 AM
O.K. so it was hard to pick just three but if I must......

I cant leave Disneyland without riding:

3. Indiana Jones: Im an adrinaline junkie:D

2. Haunted Mansion:I cant explain it, I just love it.

1. Pirates of the Caribbean: Its a classic and I love the song. Oh and you cant forget the Jack Sparrow figures. Now only if they made a Will Turner:D!