PDA

View Full Version : Corporate Reasoning?

K & S
07-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Just curious.

Any ideas why WDW has APs priced for kids, but DLR doesn't? Or why people renewing APs for WDW receive a $40 discount, but DLR's discount is only $20?

Seems odd to have such different policies between the two resorts.

adriennek
07-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Or why people renewing APs for WDW receive a $40 discount, but DLR's discount is only $20?

Because WDW's AP's cost about twice as much as DLR's?

Adrienne

Niwel
07-01-2008, 10:30 AM
My guess: because there are more APs at Disneyland (attracts a local crowd who can go multiple times in a month) vs WDW which gets more of a one-time a year crowd and hopes to lure more APs.

K & S
07-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Because WDW's AP's cost about twice as much as DLR's?

Adrienne

Actually they don't. There is only $80 dollars difference between the DLR PAP and the WDW PAP, if the Water Parks aren't included.

K & S
07-01-2008, 10:41 AM
My guess: because there are more APs at Disneyland (attracts a local crowd who can go multiple times in a month) vs WDW which gets more of a one-time a year crowd and hopes to lure more APs.

There's some logic to that.

Thanks

adriennek
07-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Actually they don't. There is only $80 dollars difference between the DLR PAP and the WDW PAP, if the Water Parks aren't included.

But the others are:

WDW:Annual Pass - $448/$395
DLR: Deluxe Annual Pass: $259
(Pretty close to double)

WDW:Seasonal Annual Pass (Florida Resident) - $230
DLR: Southern California Select Annual Pass: $129,

Adrienne

Serendipity
07-01-2008, 01:00 PM
But the others are:

WDW:Annual Pass - $448/$395
DLR: Deluxe Annual Pass: $259
(Pretty close to double)

Adrienne

Why would you compare the WDW: Annual Pass with DLR's Deluxe? The WDW pass that you mentioned has 365 days on the pass whereas the Deluxe only has 315 days.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to compare the WDW pass with DLR's Premium pass because they include the same number of days? Then the price difference would only be $69.

Although if someone were a WDW passholder they would most likely be a florida resident, which means the annual pass would only cost $350. So if we compare that one to DLR's Premium pass then they would actually be paying $29 less and getting two more theme parks.

K & S
07-01-2008, 01:57 PM
I still think it odd that DLR doesn't have APs priced for children, while parents in Florida save $50 on APs priced for their young children.

I don't have young children, but it doesn't seem quite fair to those who have a family.

K

Bytebear
07-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Supply and demand. But mostly demand. DL has a much higher demand for APs and even when they raise the prices, people will buy them.

Jon
07-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Pretty much what Bytebear said. People in California will pay any amount, for any product, at any time, without question. People in Florida won't.

Drince88
07-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Although if someone were a WDW passholder they would most likely be a florida resident, which means the annual pass would only cost $350.

Actually, I'm not sure if most of the WDW APs are Florida Residents. I don't know the numbers, but I'm sure there are quite a few that aren't (percentage-wise). In fact, when they opened the Disney Dining Experience to AP-holders (it had only been open to Florida Residents before) the number of people getting them really increased to the point that it brought some of their systems (like their emailing system, which was bascially I think just a mailing list within Outlook) to it's knees. Which to me says that there are a decent percentage of WDW AP holders who aren't Florida Residents (because they would have been getting the DDE all along).

adriennek
07-01-2008, 05:30 PM
There are going to be a lot more long-distance APs at WDW than at DLR because of the nature of the beast. They're just different parks. That's the way it is.

And a number of people plan one trip a year. Trip 1: Buy AP. Trip 2: Return Just Before AP expires, allow it to expire for one year. Trip 3: After a year without an AP, Buy AP. Trip 4: See Trip 2.

There's not as much incentive at WDW to renew when a person, couple or family uses this strategy. But there's always that hope that something will happen during that year that they have the AP - airfare will be cheap, they'll have the chance to attend a business conference in Orlando, etc, etc, and they'll sneak in an extra trip. Or they won't. Disney wants to make more money so they need a bigger incentive than Anaheim does to get people to renew.

I still don't entirely get why they have separate kid APs and we don't (although the more I read and learn, the more I think that guests in Anaheim are more dishonest and try to cheat more than guests in Orlando, but that's my unscientific opinion.) But I think that in many ways, to compare the AP programs in the two parks is an apples to oranges situation.

Adrienne

Malcon10t
07-01-2008, 06:03 PM
I still don't entirely get why they have separate kid APs and we don't (although the more I read and learn, the more I think that guests in Anaheim are more dishonest and try to cheat more than guests in Orlando, but that's my unscientific opinion.)Ya think??? I could see a discount for children for the PAP, but definitely not for the Deluxe or SoCal passes.

adriennek
07-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Ya think???

Oh the stories I could tell....

Adirenne

Darkbeer
07-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Interesting to note, here in SoCal...

San Diego Zoo/WAP - Child and Senior AP's are available

SeaWorld San Diego - Child and Senior AP's are available

Knott's Berry Farm/Knott's Soak City - Child and Senior AP's are available

cstephens
07-02-2008, 12:02 AM
As someone said, it's supply and demand. They probably don't offer a kid's AP because they don't have to - they sell plenty of APs as it is, because presumably, people are still willing to pay full price for an AP for their child. Like with many other things, the other local theme parks have to have added incentives for people to visit/buy APs there.

pixar
07-02-2008, 07:29 AM
Definitely it's supply and demand. I don't have stats in front of me, but one reason for the difference in supply and demand is that there's a lot more people within driving distance to Disneyland than Disneyworld.

Bytebear
07-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Another interesting note is that Knott's, Universal, Magic Mountain and Sea World all have "buy a day, get a year free" promotions. Disneyland would never sell their APs so cheaply. The other parks really are a bargain for APs in comparison.

cstephens
07-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Another interesting note is that Knott's, Universal, Magic Mountain and Sea World all have "buy a day, get a year free" promotions. Disneyland would never sell their APs so cheaply. The other parks really are a bargain for APs in comparison.

Speaking strictly monetarily, I would agree with you - it costs less to own an AP for the other parks than for Disneyland. However, with regard to value, I think they're worlds apart. Sure, for a lot less, you'd have an AP to Magic Mountain or Universal - but then, you'd have an AP for Magic Mountain or Universal, neither of which I think even begins to compare to the entertainment value of an AP at Disneyland, even an AP with blockout dates. I used to love Sea World, and if I lived closer to San Diego, I might not have let my AP lapse, but A/B has been doing stuff with their parks in the last multiple years that I haven't been happy with anyway, so I might not have renewed even without the distance factor.

I think it comes down to a matter of getting what you paid for. Sure, I could get cheaper sushi at some restaurants, but then the quality is cheaper as well. If I want good sushi, I'm going to have to pay more for it. And for me, it's worth it to pay more to get more.

Darkbeer
07-02-2008, 11:15 AM

First off, Knott's has never done a promo such as "Buy a day, get the rest of 2008 for free". Universal and SeaWorld have blockout dates on their low end Season Passes.

And just recently, the Disneyland Resort Ticket Booths advertising Annual Passes and the fact that you could get one for less than the cost of 2 visits on large posters.

Bolivar
07-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Orlando metro population 2 million

Los Angeles metro population 12.9 million

That tells the story right there.