PDA

View Full Version : Graveyard Changed Back!

Pages : [1] 2

Kuzcotopia
10-14-2002, 05:40 PM
Here's to Disney for responding so quickly!

The Graveyard music from last year was playing on Saturday. Anyone else confirm that it stayed that way?

So far, old music in elevator room AND Graveyard!

Let's keep up the momentum!!!!

Ballroom next!!! Ballroom next!!! Ballroom next!!!!!

AVP
10-14-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Kuzcotopia
Ballroom next!!! Ballroom next!!! Ballroom next!!!!!

Deck the Halls next!, Deck the Halls next!, Deck the Halls next!, Deck the Halls next!, Deck the Halls next!, Deck the Halls next!

(Fa la LA!)

AVP

Laffite
10-14-2002, 06:02 PM
Ballroom sounds like a good candinate. I love last year's ballroom because it had organ playing, keeping the same essence from the original HM. When I went in this year I was excited to find out what music would be coming from the organ, and I was pretty disappointed that I didn't hear any.

Umm..I'm really hungry for some smoked salmon with vegetable cream for some reason.

narkspud
10-14-2002, 09:49 PM
I rode it Sunday, and while it sounded like they'd done some tweaking of the mix, it was definitely the new music in the graveyard. . .it still contained "What's this? What's this?" That wasn't in there last year. But they now have it sounding a lot more like the '01 edition.

I still miss the old soundtrack, but between the stretch room, the mix tweaking, and the re-timing of the narration, it's MUCH improved from when the new version first premiered. Kudos, DL!

narkspud

Kuzcotopia
10-14-2002, 09:55 PM
There were always a couple of "What's This?"'s in the graveyard last year (I'm listening to the 01 recording right now).

The Graveyard has reverted.

(BALLROOM NEXT PLEASE!!!!!)

HBTiggerFan
10-14-2002, 10:09 PM
what about the hallway?

Kuzcotopia
10-14-2002, 10:33 PM
Hallways still "Kidnap Sandy Claws."

For now.....

zapppop
10-14-2002, 10:43 PM
Kuzco is mistaken;
I rode HMH Sunday afternoon and the new music in the graveyard is still intact. So far the only change is the stretch room; although I think the graveyard SHOULD be changed back to last years music since it sounds so terrible right now. Last year was better.

Not Afraid
10-15-2002, 06:36 AM
Yesterday (Monday) still had the new Graveyard music intact.:crying:

Alex S.
10-15-2002, 08:03 AM
Times like this, it is great to be me.

When I finally ride this year's version on Monday, I won't even notice the music; I'll have zero recollection of last year's music; I'll have no ability to compare the changes from last year to this year.

They could play a medley of the Space Mountain music and ZZ Top and I probably wouldn't notice.

Kuzcotopia
10-15-2002, 08:25 AM
On saturday, the graveyard scene was a combination of "We Wish you a Scary Christmas" "Good King Wenselis" "Grim Grinning Ghosts" and "Deck the Halls" with voices SAYING "What's This?" a couple of times.

Playing the music track from last year, it's the same music.

disneylandsource.com has it.

What songs did you guys hear?

I'm talking about the inside graveyard finale scene, not the line.

Laffite
10-15-2002, 11:43 AM
How can you tell what they're singing? It's all jumbled up and I understand what they're all singing :confused:

Ghoulish Delight
10-15-2002, 12:32 PM
You know, I'm starting to wonder if there was ever a difference between last year's and this year's graveyard. I know for a fact that Kuzco is right, the snippet of "What's This" was in there last year, the only vestage of the movie music. Could it simply be that during the opening week the only difference was that they screwed up the synchronization between the different tracks being played in different parts of the graveyard? That certainly would explain the fact that it sounded very muddled and a whole lot worse, and the fact that no one can agree if it's "changed back" or not.

Laffite
10-15-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
You know, I'm starting to wonder if there was ever a difference between last year's and this year's graveyard.

From what I've heard of the new graveyard and my recording of last year's graveyard, the 2 are indeed different.

refurbmike
10-15-2002, 12:47 PM
This year has a harmonous version of "Jingle Bells" that was not in there last year.

Also, they did adjust the sound levels to resemble last year's, but it's still has the new music in it.

narkspud
10-15-2002, 02:53 PM
I listened to the disneylandsource recording, and yep, it does say "What's this?" but as an aside only--the music doesn't STOP in its tracks for it. Unless I'm totally senile, that's what the new version does. I'm not likely to get back over there to check it again for another couple weeks. . .can anyone confirm that I'm not senile?

Concerned,
narkspud

refurbmike
10-15-2002, 02:59 PM
I have an audio recording of this year's version online, if you're interested...

http://refurb.disneyfans.com/Attractions/hm/10-14/

Cadaverous Pallor
10-15-2002, 07:02 PM
Ok, this thread finally made me compare the two. (BTW, here is the link (http://disneylandsource.com/mansion/index.html) to the 2001 music - click on the one called "Haunted Mansion Holiday (audio)".)

Last year's is totally different. It looks like the main reason people are getting confused is that the singing pumpkins (ex busts) haven't changed at all.

This comparison has once again convinced me that I'm glad they changed the graveyard. Last year's was way, way too upbeat and kooky. I grant that this year's is a jumble, but I like the mood a whole lot better.

In the eternal argument of "lighthearted vs. scary", I pick scary. :)

Laffite
10-15-2002, 07:41 PM
Oh boy, the subject of light vs scary is very subjective isn't it? Because the question is what IS the ride about, the HM or NBC. HM was sort of lighthearted as specified by Walt (singing ghosts)...and I guess NBC is supposed to be of a darker mood (but they still sing).

Anyway, I thought both versions were kidda the same, but with enough differences to make them both different! I liked last year's Leota room better for sure, and probably the same with the ballroom because last year's has organ in the background keeping "in tune" with the original HM.

I like this year's graveyard, but like last year's because I can understand the words. I don't know, both versions are good, so keep them both.

Not Afraid
10-15-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor

In the eternal argument of "lighthearted vs. scary", I pick scary. :)

I'm not sure if you are referring to the Elfman music as scary or the new graveyard mix. I actually don't find any of it what I would term "scary".

The musical style Elfman used in the NBC soundtrack is very reminiscent of Kurt Weil, with certain refrains so closely mirroring a piece from The Threepenny Opera that it is eerie. To me, this music has a definite dark side, but the satire and tongue in cheekiness are very present.

I don't fine it scary at all, more like a dark Halloween cabaret. It's spooky, but a silly kind of spooky.

MonorailMan
10-15-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
but a silly kind of spooky.

Which fits the whole HM idea. :)

Ghoulish Delight
10-15-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
I don't fine it scary at all, more like a dark Halloween cabaret. It's spooky, but a silly kind of spooky. Consider the word spooky a melding of "scary" and "kooky." Standard HM music is wll on the kooky side of spooky. Burton's music is, well, hard to say. It's definitely more TOWARDS the scary side. Whether it crosses the half way mark into scary, or stays on the kooky side, I'm not sure. I think it does stay on the kooky side, which is why I like it for the overlay. It is still silly, but just a little less so because, well, Jack is a little less so.

Kuzcotopia
10-15-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by refurbmike
I have an audio recording of this year's version online, if you're interested...

http://refurb.disneyfans.com/Attractions/hm/10-14/

Wow, that clinches it. It WAS the new music on saturday.

I was using the busts as my reference, and yes, that was the same (cheap).

That really shows how muddled the new version is. Since the busts were singing the same, I just thought it was all the same (since the busts are the only thing you can understand).

That sound file shows how awful the new version is, and I didn't hear a note of Elfman in it -- WHY change it?!!

CHANGE IT BACK NOW!!!!!

Sophie832
10-15-2002, 10:43 PM
The elevator is definitely scarier with last year's music, and I love it! Much better than this year's blunder.

The easiest way for me to remember last year's graveyard music is it was clearly a blend of What's This, and Grim Grinning Ghosts. This year's is just a mixed up jumble of unintellgible songs, but I do hear What's This at the very end of the graveyard, and a little Grim Grinning Ghosts at the end of the jumble.

I miss last year's...I loved how they matched What's This and Grim Grinning Ghosts to perfection. Oh well.

Clinton84
10-16-2002, 03:53 AM
We rode HMH last Friday & Saturday (sadly our only chances, as we live in Massachusetts). I found the graveyard to be a mix of a little bit of everything. There was Grimm Grinning Ghosts, What's This and a touch of Kidnap the Sandy Claws.

Side note, our doom buggy/sleigh ride was haulted right in front of Jack and Zero at the edge of the graveyard. The kid in the next buggy was sort of freaking out at having Jack towering above her, asking "What's your name?" over and over.