PDA

View Full Version : Staying offsite Disneyland

J-L
10-14-2002, 12:03 PM
Has anyone ever been to the Hilton Garden Grove (not to be confused with the Hilton Towers in Anaheim)?

We are flying out to California this Spring and have reservations at the Hilton Garden Grove.

We are from the East Coast (Long Island) and have never been out there. (We have been to DisneyWorld in Florida.)

Any words of wisdom or recommendations for first time visitors to Disneyland and to the California area? Any other things to do in the area that you would recommend? Thanks......

MouseWife
10-14-2002, 12:44 PM
Well, first off, glad to hear you are going to be having a spring vacation to Disneyland to look forward to!!

Now, for information. I think it depends on how long you plan on being out here, how far you mind traveling from Anaheim {Garden Grove}, how many people and if there will be any kids.

What types of things interest you, museums, dinner theatre, other theme parks, beaches, meeting other MPer's, that sort of thing.

I think you are going right next door to the Embassy Suites. Just an FYI, they offer a full complete breakfast. Marriott Residence Inn offers a breakfast with 2 warm items, the rest buffet type {I guess} and a buffet style family dinner. I haven't stayed there yet but am looking forward to it.

Anywho, give that other information and I am sure you will get a lot of tips.

Oh, make sure that where ever you stay you sign up for their 'points'. Embassy Suites has them as well as Residence Inn. Probably Hilton as well. And, see if they offer bonus points for booking on line. If you do that. Sounds like you will be staying a few days, that will add up. :)

J-L
10-14-2002, 01:09 PM
Hi Mousewife ~

Thanks for the info. I have heard good things about the Residence Inn also - maybe I should check that out also. Hope you have a great time.

We will be staying for one week and we have two girls - ages 6 and 8.

We have been thinking of also going to San Diego Zoo and Universal Studios also. I also want to see the Pacific Ocean since we are water people. We have only swam in the Atlantic!

Anyway, thanks for your info and hope you enjoy your stay also! J-L

:)

Morrigoon
10-14-2002, 03:06 PM
If it's the building I'm thinking of, it's a nice looking building. In front of Embassy Suites is a Buca di Beppo which is always fun for families (as long as they don't mind all eating the same thing!) You'll want to rent a car though.

mikala
10-14-2002, 03:48 PM
Hello

From May 2001-May 2002 we stayed at the Crowne Plaza (also in Garden Grove) over 30 nights. My husband even favors it over Disneyland Hotel. Also it has some nice ammenities including a chapel, pool spa, great gift shop, internet service in the room, room service, in room movies, valet, and more.

It is also located directly across the street from Target (for those last minute items), and Joe's Crab Shack and Outback Steakhouse are on the corner on the premises.

They offer a complimentary shuttle to the parks and run all day according to park hours.

Good luck and have a great time, where you choose to stay. We will be there from 10/18-10/22/02

HOORAY.

MouseWife
10-14-2002, 03:54 PM
If you go to the San Diego Zoo, get back on the 5 and keep heading South. Go across the Coronado Bridge and head into Coronado. Pretty easy. The bridge goes right onto the island. You might want to look it up and see where a visitors center is otherwise, if you make a left, you will head towards the beach and the Hotel Del Coronado.

If you go to the right, you can find their Ferry Landing with restaurants and some shops. Don't think it is a big deal like Seaport Village. Hey, you can ride the ferry across and walk to Seaport Village from there.

Anywho, a stroll through the Hotel is a must. There are shops in their 'basement' area. Out by the pool is a place where you can eat. Otherwise, there is a La Salsa on Orange, as well as Marie Calendars, maybe still Wendy's, and a bunch of other places.

If you eat over at Seaport Village, there are places right on the water or over looking the water. Can't remember the names, maybe The Chart House?

Universal is great, as long as you think the part of the ride where they go through the fake earthquake and fire won't scare the heck out of them. There is a shopping/dining area called 'City Walk' there. Fun for goofing around. There is also a Buca de Beppos.

When we leave there, as we don't usually spend the whole entire day there {if the lines aren't long} we then drive through Hollywood, just to look at the place. We usually don't stop. But, we drive out to Santa Monica to see the pier then turn around and drive back to the freeway and head south.

By Disneyland, there is a Medieval Times, Knott's Berry Farm, Ripley's Believe it or Not, and a Wax Museum. Knott's has a nice replica of Independance Hall which is good for a stroll through. Your daughters might enjoy Camp Snoopy. If you go, do Mystery Lodge. Awesome.

Balboa Park and Old Town are two places that you can add to your day to San Diego, they won't take up a whole day.

Or, up in L.A. their Natural History Museum is HUGE. Or, the La Brea Tar pits. Those are interesting.

Well, I am going to stop. I can't think of much else. Of course, all of it is overkill but one thing might catch your eye. ;)

Morrigoon
10-14-2002, 04:17 PM
Hold the phone, if you're doing Citywalk, don't do Buca's - you've got Micelli's right there on Cahuenga/Ventura and Lankershim. They have singing waiters, great food, and a lovely atmosphere. Micelli's has been in the valley so long it's practically a landmark.

MouseWife
10-14-2002, 04:18 PM
Hey, thanks! I'll have to remember that one!! ;)

J-L
10-17-2002, 06:24 AM
Thank you Mousewife, Morrigoon and Mikala for all of your info! I think I am going to print it all out for when we get out there! What a great help to get feedback from others that have been there! J-L:)

Tink0706
10-17-2002, 09:35 AM
J-L,

We are fellow NYers (we're upstate) who visited DL last summer and are going back to Southern CA again this summer.

We are doing 3 days in San Diego. If you are doing both the zoo and the Wild Animal Park, it's a good deal to get a zoo membership (sandiegozoo.com).

We are also going to Catalina Island for a day. There is a boat that leaves from Newport Beach, which is only 17 miles from Anaheim. Your girls might be too young to go snorkling, but it sounds like a nice boat ride out, and there are many things to do on the island.

We went to Hunnington (sp.?) Beach last summer. The beach was nice, but it was stop and go traffic the whole way-very frustrating! Although, being from LI you may be used to this...

We aren't quite sure what we are going to do in LA, so I'll be reading this post to see what others suggest.

teri
10-17-2002, 09:45 AM
When we went to San Diego in April, we got a special multi-park pass that was good for the Zoo, Wild Animal Park and Sea World, unlimited admission for 5 consecutive days. It was a good deal. :) We definitely enjoyed 5 days in SD, and we didn't even make it out to Coronado!

J-L
10-17-2002, 05:14 PM
Thanks Tink0706. The Zoo membership sounds like a good idea. We are going to be in California for 7 days.
Yes, you are right about being used to the traffic. We get a lot of that during rush hour around here!

Hope you have a great time! We are planning on it!

Teri - thanks for the recommending the multi park pass. We might do that if we do more than one park. Thanks!:)