PDA

View Full Version : I watched Mickey's Detective School

Pages : [1] 2

RStar
10-14-2002, 09:20 AM
I had a 4 year old cousin with me, so I figured what the hey....

I felt like I was watching Blues Clues, Bear in the Big Blue House, or Barney or something. Even the 4 year old didn't like it much.

The whole time I kept thinking about Anne Hamberger's statement at the Alladin press release about the "High caliber entertainment" at the DLR and wanted to cry. If this is what she thinks is quality we are in a world of hurt.:crying: I wonder if the reason these shows are so bad (and no new parade) is because she has been spending all her time on her pet project, Alladin? I hope this means it will be good, and then she can move on to do better with the other shows.

Sailor Butterfly
10-15-2002, 04:11 AM
My dear RStar, I'm so, so sorry for the torture you had to go through. The bf and I convinced three of our friends to see it with us, and afterwards we felt so horrible for inflicting such cruelty on them.

That show has to be the lamest, dullest, and most mind-numbing piece of cow plop I've ever had to see. I felt really bad for the CM's who have to put on this show. You know that they try their very best with what they've got to work with. I'd much rather watch Blue's Clues in Spanish, then ever see that show again. Even though my Spanish is very limited, I actually enjoyed it. The bf and I call it Mickey's Defective School. ;)

Mouse
10-15-2002, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by RStar
I felt like I was watching Blues Clues, Bear in the Big Blue House, or Barney or something.

My thoughts exactly. Add a big purple dinosaur and a nausea inspiring closing song and you have "Barney, Live on Stage!"

RStar
10-15-2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Sailor Butterfly
I felt really bad for the CM's who have to put on this show. You know that they try their very best with what they've got to work with.

I have to say that I could tell they did try. I felt sorry for them as well. It was, IMHO, the script combined with the detective "feeling" they were trying to get, along with audience partisipation they wanted as well (probably trying to keep people awake). It was fairly well corriographed, I supposed.

And wasen't that theme of Pluto being dog napped taken from one of the old cartoons?

justagrrl
10-15-2002, 11:21 AM
Even I, not being a big fan of shows, can tell the difference between that garbage and a good show. Once was waaaaay more then enough. (If I didn't have the 4 year old, we'd have walked out.)

Will they be putting something else new in soon? With a show like that, one that's obviously so cheaply done, you'd think they could at least change it up more often?

sydney
10-15-2002, 11:27 AM
based on your comparisons to other children's programming... I am forced to wonder what your reaction to DCA's soon to arrive Playhouse Disney show would be, given that it actually *is* a bear in the big blue house (& etc.) show...

:)

Morrigoon
10-15-2002, 12:49 PM
Whatever happened to a little specatcle? Animazement was doing just fine, playing to nice large crowds and pleasing both parents and kids (and, it seems everyone except Hyperboy and Al ;) - okay, well maybe not everyone, but *I* liked it!)

I wish they'd pubish the soundtrack to that, btw (Animazement, not Mickey's Detective School)

Sorry, but when I was a kid, I was wholly uninterested in anything with the word "school" in it!

ice_queen
10-15-2002, 02:00 PM
I saw the show with a 9-year-old and a 5-year-old.... mind you, by the time it was over, they both were on the ground playing with a marble shooter and several pebbles. They found ROCKS more interesting than Mickey's Detective School. ROCKS, people!!

Whoever created the show... what were they shmoking? You wonder sometimes if these people have children or even have children in mind.

RStar
10-15-2002, 02:42 PM
Sydney,

At least Playhouse Disney is advertised as a children's show. And no, I will most likely not be seeing it. It is written for kids, MDS was not suppose to be.

justagrrl,

You'll be happy to know that they will be taking MDS out soon to put in Minnies Christmas Party (I think that's what it is called). What I don't know is what they will do after the holidays. Put in a new show, MDS again, or even Animazement.

Frankly, I loved the old days when they did a new show to go with a new movie. Mulan was the last one. They should do a Lilo and Stich show or parade. The problem may be the rights to the Elvis songs, and whether they could pull off the show without them if they had to. It was such a big part of the picture.

zapppop
10-15-2002, 02:51 PM
I watched Mickey's Detective School!
I'm sorry :o

cstephens
10-15-2002, 03:16 PM
Well, the good news is that Mickey's Detective School will soon make way for Minnie's Christmas Party, which was performed last year. I actually like Minnie's show - very cute, and Chip and Dale are on some kind of illegal substance so they're hysterical to watch. Mickey's I've only seen once and would only be coaxed back to see it a second time if it was guaranteed that a particular performer was in that particular show, and then I'd only go see it to laugh at him.

Mouse
10-15-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
I actually like Minnie's show - very cute, and Chip and Dale are on some kind of illegal substance so they're hysterical to watch.

Chip and Dale always crack me up.:D Minnie's Christmas Party is a great deal more entertaining, in my opinion, then Mickey's Dectective school.

idesign
10-15-2002, 04:02 PM
Yup.. we walked out, too... wow.

It was soooOOOOO LOUD!!! WHY?why... does it need to be so loud? i wonder... The Buzz show is loud, too, and I am almost deaf from machine guns and helicopters...

Sailor Butterfly
10-16-2002, 05:30 AM
I always thought it would be cool, if they did "Lilo's Luau" or some better title than that.... Hire some professional Hawaiian performers, a face Nani and David, and bring over Lilo and Stitch. Kids could be pulled out of the audience to learn how to hula (with a grass skirt/lei as a take-home souvenir). It would entertain both kids and adults, and they wouldn't need to use any Elvis songs- I'm sure that they could use many traditional Hawaiian songs (including the two that were in the movie).

If any Disney people read this idea, you can have it with my blessing. In fact, PLEASE take it. I wouldn't sue or want a piece of the action, all I want is some entertaining shows.

RStar
10-16-2002, 08:09 AM
Yes. I've said that before. We need some new shows, and Lilo & Stitch was such a hit. I don't know why they don't capitalize on it with a show or parade.

Oh, wait. I know, Anne Hamburger is busy with the Alladin show. And they are cutting back money everywhere. That's why:crying: .

Mad Madam Mim
10-16-2002, 08:43 AM
Ooooooooooo! So sorry you were subjected to such trite um….. (it really doesn’t deserve the classification but)…….entertainment!

chryslervan
10-16-2002, 09:10 AM
Agree that it is a waste of time so we saw it only once. We went back to "Animazement" many times while it was playing. Also went to "Steps in Time" and "Blast" at DCA many times. Disney CAN produce decent entertainment but "Mickey's Detective School" is a disgrace.

THANKS to you who gave reviews about "Minnie's Christmas Party". Based on your comments, we need to make our 1360 mile round trip to Disneyland Resort while it is on. Will also like to see the new "Aladdin" show at Hyperion Theater in DCA.

RStar
10-16-2002, 12:12 PM
Same here. I've seen ALL of the past shows many times. Untill last weekend I never had seen (and never will again) MDS. I have never seen Buzz as well, and may never. I miss the old days of going to see cool shows (although Blast! was very good).

But I am looking forward to seeing Aladdin, and may catch Minnie's this year (missed it last year).

Morrigoon
10-17-2002, 12:51 AM
Also went to "Steps in Time" and "Blast" at DCA many times. Disney CAN produce decent entertainment but "Mickey's Detective School" is a disgrace.

Blast was great (not Disney produced, btw, it was brought in).

MDS is worse than Steps in Time? Wow, I almost have to see it now out of morbid curiosity (it's like a train wreck, you have to look, if only to see how bad it really is)

Cooie
10-17-2002, 06:40 AM
I felt like I was watching Blues Clues, Bear in the Big Blue House, or Barney or something. Even the 4 year old didn't like it much.

I can't comment on Blues Clues, but I love Bear in the Big Blue House! I agree that Mickey's Detective School is definitely brain numbing, but don't add my beloved Bear in that category! (Yes, I'm in my late 20s, what's your point?! ;))

Just out of curiosity, what other shows have had runs in the Fantasyland Theatre? Obviously there's Animazement and the Beauty and the Beast stage show, and thanks to my pal Tod, I saw a tape of some kind of circus/acrobatic performance going on there in the late 80s. But other than that, I have no idea what the entertainment in the theatre was like before Animazement, so I'm curious to know how things progressed to this dismal point.

RStar
10-17-2002, 10:57 AM
One of my faves there was the Pocahontas Stage Show. Very well done.

cstephens
10-17-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Blast was great (not Disney produced, btw, it was brought in).

MDS is worse than Steps in Time? Wow, I almost have to see it now out of morbid curiosity (it's like a train wreck, you have to look, if only to see how bad it really is)

I like a good train wreck every now and again, but I'm not even sure this show makes it to that level.

If you really want to see it, I'd suggest sitting in the back so that you can exit quickly and quietly at any point in the show.

RStar
11-01-2002, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Cooie
I can't comment on Blues Clues, but I love Bear in the Big Blue House! I agree that Mickey's Detective School is definitely brain numbing, but don't add my beloved Bear in that category! (Yes, I'm in my late 20s, what's your point?! ;))

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to belittle Bear or other shows I listed. I could have said Romper Room or Bozo the Clown. Even Mr. Rodgers. But I wasn't sure how many would remember them. Although I belive Mr. Rodgers is still on, and Bozo only retired a few years back, I think. They are fine shows that are for little kids, and I don't care to watch myself. I have to admit that my kids are older now and I haven't given any of the newer shows a try.

Any way my point was that the show seemed exceptionally pointed to the pre-school audiance. Was that necessary? I know that Disney can make a show for kids and parents at the same time. They have done it before.

stevemo
11-01-2002, 03:59 PM
Disneyland is just for little kids, so MDS is just fine.

Actually, I had to take 2,4,and 7 yr old kids to see it. The younger ones enjoyed it. I thought it was kind of creepy. At least the Poccahontas show had a hot chick in an indian costume.

RStar
11-01-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by stevemo
Disneyland is just for little kids

I beg your parden? I could have swarn Walt Disney built the park for both parents and kids to enjoy together. Mind you I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with having things for just the little kids, but to put on a show that is for the 2-4 year olds is a bit narrow.

The point is that I know they can wright a show for a broader audiance than that. What is not clear is if they ment for it to turn out that way. Part of the problem, IMHO, is the "Detective 1940's" theme. It makes everything seem slower and more deleberate. Much like a childs story.