PDA

View Full Version : It's beginning to look a little like Christmas

Polar33
10-14-2002, 03:26 AM
Well, it's begun. The official transformation of the resort into the holiday season has started. Well...Haunted Mansion Holiday aside. Tonight, I saw crews starting the work on the Small World holiday lighting. Something interesting to note is that the lights that I saw were all white and not multi-colored as have been used in previous years. I can't wait to see it when more work has been completed.

Currently holiday transformation dates are as follows:

IASW will be starting its holiday transformation on 10/21 and will return as IASW Holiday on 11/8.
Mickey's Detective School's final show for this year will be on 10/27, Minnie's Christmas Party will open on 11/8.
"Believe... In Holiday Magic" will return on 11/8 as well.
The Parade of the Stars will end this years run on 11/18 and A Christmas Fantasy Parade will return on 11/22.

Humm...writing this post just reminded me I have to find my Santa Mickey antenna ball.

MouseWife
10-14-2002, 05:14 AM
I also can't wait to see IASW!
I haven't been since last year and have only seen in from the pictures here.

White lights. Well, I can't wait to see what it all looks like!

Thanks for the update!

And the reminder of the Mickey ears antenna ball!!

disguy
10-14-2002, 09:42 AM
Years ago, wasn't it always lit up with white lights at night? I can't remember.

RStar
10-14-2002, 12:45 PM
Do you mean when they first started the Holiday version of IASW?

I don't remember when it started, I think about 3 or 4 years ago. And I think it was always multi colored lights that were added. They played of the pastel colors that they had painted the facade.

Morrigoon
10-14-2002, 03:36 PM
Hmm, not sure about that white lights thing. I love the white facade, but white lights? With the new white background, I would LOVE to see the reflection of colorful lights at night. But, we'll see, maybe it'll be pretty.

sydney
10-15-2002, 11:31 AM
has anyone noticed that they've already started airing on primetime tv the commercials for the holiday decorations at the DLR? (the ones that show the tree, the snow after the fireworks, the garlands everywhere, etc) Since that stuff won't be up for like three weeks at least from now... does this strike anyone else as inaccurate advertizing? They could have at least included a "starting on 11/8" message or something...

Polar33
10-15-2002, 11:46 PM
Well, it looks like I spoke too soon about the white lights for Small World Holiday. I looked closely at the lights along the Small World Mall area and saw colored as well as white lights are being used. I guess the colored strands arived late :D. Looks like the Small World area is about halfway done right now...those guys are fast!

xsb00st
10-16-2002, 04:44 AM
Alright! Christmas! I sure hope it doesn't get too windy during Christmas season. Last year I went twice and both times the snow and fireworks were cancelled due to high winds. Sucked for me.:rolleyes:

MouseWife
10-16-2002, 05:36 AM
I hear you about the winds.

This must have been before fireworks and snow {definitely before snow}about five years ago.

We all had on 'beanies', gloves, and had to brace ourselves against the wind. The trees around IASW were bending big time. I could rub my face and it would be dirty from all of the silt flying around. My eyes were constantly having to be wiped out. And I was wearing glasses.

Not fun. But did we leave? No. ;)

Stayed all day long. It was windy when we arrived first thing and ridiculous when we left.

Twinsmom
10-16-2002, 06:47 AM
After reading about recent experiences within this thread, can you guys tell me the typical weather during the past two Christmas seasons...Obviously, you know more than the guide books! And, I am already wearing a coat in the morning where I live! (teeth chattering, teeth chattering, etc., etc.)

Thanks.

mousey_girl
10-16-2002, 12:55 PM
That is a hard one... We went one year (we go every year around Dec 6th) and it was cold, hat & glove cold. The following year it was warm, at night all you needed was a light sweater.

We learned (the hard way) that if we wanted to see fireworks or a night time parade that we had to do them at the first opportunity, because you never know when the weather will turn. Last year the weather was great the first 3 days, then Saturday the wind kicked up and kicked up hard. There was blowing dust all over the place and as we were leaving they announced that the fireworks would be cancelled.

MouseWife
10-16-2002, 02:00 PM
It really is hard.

I mean, when I went, it was sort of a Santa Ana. Just not hot, but windy. Does that make sense?

It all depends on what we get. Our weather can change pretty much. You can check on a satelite, maybe. That might help.

I am thinking it will be a wet cold year because they keep predicting El Nino. But, I can't remember if they predicted it last year, too. Nothing. It wasn't too bad, wore a sweater. Had to take it on and off.

I think for you packing is something that will have to wait until right before your trip. I assume you have thinner long sleeved shirts and lighter jackets? You have the range of clothes because of where you live so you just pack at the last minute sort of thing.

I know, that sucks.

Don't let it discourage you!! At least you have the wardrobe!! I am having to buy winter clothes for a trip to the snow. Something I have nothing for!!

jslivinski
10-16-2002, 02:31 PM
I discovered on weather.com that you can get the average temp. etc. for a specific area.

RStar
10-16-2002, 02:33 PM
One year on Dec 24th I was out in the garden wearing short pants and no shirt planting bare root roses in 80 degree weather!

Last year was around 60s daytime and 50s nightime. But we can have 50s and rain daytime during the holidays. The colder weather (30s-40s daytime) comes late Jan. to Feb. and it never came last year.

Twinsmom
10-16-2002, 02:48 PM
Thanks for all the input on the weather! I guess my two-week in advance packing will not work this time!:D (Just call me excited and an over-organizer! ) Sounds like layers will be the plan of action, not to mention a pair of shorts and some gloves.... 2 months to go!

Techie7
10-16-2002, 02:57 PM
The Christmas lights are up in the trees of DtD as well.

Polar33
10-16-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Techie7
The Christmas lights are up in the trees of DtD as well.

Did they even take them down from last year? I recall noticing the lights still up (and lit) late January last year. I was wondering if they were going to be perminant, but I guess someone just forgot.

Lights in the Hub are up as well.

Techie7
10-16-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Polar33
Did they even take them down from last year? I recall noticing the lights still up (and lit) late January last year. I was wondering if they were going to be perminant, but I guess someone just forgot.

Lights in the Hub are up as well.

They were up for a long time (I think it looks great if they just leave them up). They did come down though after a long time. Now they have returned once again. I thought I had noticed lights on the trees around the hub. Thanks

BELLEH5
10-16-2002, 10:57 PM
I Love IASW at XMAS time. Last year I must of took 100 pix of it.
I have one question what are the XMAS that the childeren are singing. I know one is Jiggle Bells. I can't find my CD or remember the other song and I know they sing 2. Thank abunch***

Morrigoon
10-17-2002, 12:36 AM
Hee hee....

I know one is Jiggle Bells.
Is this Jello's latest holiday promotion? How much did they pay to get that in there?

:D

zapppop
10-17-2002, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by BELLEH5
I have one question what are the XMAS that the childeren are singing.
The clock plays The Parade of The Wooden Soldiers, when the children come out. Inside the children sing Jingle Bells and It's A Small World. For the final portion of the ride ( the world peace / or walt's white world section as some know it :D ) the kids sing Deck The Holls in harmony.

BELLEH5
10-17-2002, 02:39 PM
Thankx Zapppop, I knew that u would know ;)

zapppop
10-17-2002, 02:42 PM
now what about this " jiggle bells " ?
My first thought was ' Hmm..provocative, yet festive '.