PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know why the Pardise Pier Hotel was evacuated last nite?

MKY4ME
06-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Mr Motomickey and I were eating at Yamabuki last nite around 9 and the fire alarms went off and we were all evacuated from the restaurant and the hotel--never did she any smoke or flames though....

Burnt Toast
06-27-2008, 12:49 PM
I would think folks were evacuated because a fire alarm went off.

You answered your own question. Wouldn't surprise me if some punk pulled it as a joke... happens pretty often at hotels where there's a lot of people.

tchatters
06-27-2008, 06:31 PM
I don't know about Disney but most places do not actually evacuate just because of a fire alarm. They have the ability to check at the main control panel to determine what caused the alarm. If it was just a pulled alarm with no smoke detectors going off- generally someone is sent to investigate before evacuation. This is standard practice at most schools, public buildings, government facilities and college dorms.

Post-Columbine, you do not want to have an alarm go off and create a mass exodus of people allowing more targets available.

MKY4ME
06-27-2008, 10:00 PM
diners, hotel guests, cooks, everyone--so it did not seem to be a joke.....

twindaddy
06-29-2008, 04:58 AM
I don't know about Disney but most places do not actually evacuate just because of a fire alarm. They have the ability to check at the main control panel to determine what caused the alarm. If it was just a pulled alarm with no smoke detectors going off- generally someone is sent to investigate before evacuation. This is standard practice at most schools, public buildings, government facilities and college dorms.

Post-Columbine, you do not want to have an alarm go off and create a mass exodus of people allowing more targets available.

With all due respect, I disagree. You evacuate, because fires can spread so quickly, if you didnt, people would die.

And think like a terrorist. Wouldnt it be better to have everyone in the building, not out front, if you wanted to do something bad?

tchatters
06-29-2008, 05:28 AM
With all due respect, I disagree. You evacuate, because fires can spread so quickly, if you didnt, people would die.

And think like a terrorist. Wouldnt it be better to have everyone in the building, not out front, if you wanted to do something bad?

I do understand your point, however this is simply not the way it works. At least not in California. I have written four safety plans for schools and my husband manages 3 court facilities. This is the rule of practice for both of us. You do not evacuate in a large structure until you are certain that there is actually a fire. Even our local fire marshal recommends that you verify there is an incident on the panel to avoid creating panic. And avoid having them come if someone is pulling a prank.

Even before I began writing safety plans for schools, our practice was to immediately go on lockdown if the alarm was pulled. The important distinction is that if the smoke detectors activate the alarm, then you immediately evacuate. As I said in my first post, if the alarm is pulled but there are no smoke detectors activated, then someone is supposed to investigate. Modern fire panels let you know which type of alarm and in what sector the event has occurred.

At the court, they do not evacuate because it would be too easy for a person on trial to pull an alarm when out of cuffs for a trial, create a panic and escape.

If I'm thinking like a terrorist, I wouldn't bother pulling the alarm. I'd pull my car up front to the registration area. That's not really what we're talking about here.

twindaddy
06-30-2008, 07:33 AM
I do understand your point, however this is simply not the way it works. At least not in California. I have written four safety plans for schools and my husband manages 3 court facilities. This is the rule of practice for both of us. You do not evacuate in a large structure until you are certain that there is actually a fire. Even our local fire marshal recommends that you verify there is an incident on the panel to avoid creating panic. And avoid having them come if someone is pulling a prank.

Even before I began writing safety plans for schools, our practice was to immediately go on lockdown if the alarm was pulled. The important distinction is that if the smoke detectors activate the alarm, then you immediately evacuate. As I said in my first post, if the alarm is pulled but there are no smoke detectors activated, then someone is supposed to investigate. Modern fire panels let you know which type of alarm and in what sector the event has occurred.

At the court, they do not evacuate because it would be too easy for a person on trial to pull an alarm when out of cuffs for a trial, create a panic and escape.

If I'm thinking like a terrorist, I wouldn't bother pulling the alarm. I'd pull my car up front to the registration area. That's not really what we're talking about here.

Your points are well taken. I suppose I did not think of the difference between a pulled alarm and a smoke alarm. Smoke: Get the heck out. A pulled alarm, verify. Makes sense.

Dont tell my wife I said this, but I stand corrected (I was wrong) :D